Suthep ‘wavers’ over whether to break vow and lead PDRC-inspired political party

webfact

Suthep ‘wavers’ over whether to break vow and lead PDRC-inspired political party

By THE NATION

06b7ca0421444997e2ac90a99a7aeda5.jpeg

Suthep Thaugsuban

THE “whistle-blowing” protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban is wavering about whether to break his pledge of not becoming involved in politics again and may lead a party based on his “great mass of people” movement, according to a source near the former politician.movement, according to a source near the former politician.

Suthep was the leader of the defunct People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), which occupied Bangkok from 2013 to 2014 in opposition to Yingluck Shinawatra’s government.

The PDRC, whose members blew whistles during public protests, went into hiatus after the 2014 coup before being reincarnated as the People’s Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF), which is still headed by Suthep.

As almost all PDRF figures, including Suthep himself, were Democrat Party politicians, the movement is often seen as the Democrats’ grassroots branch, similar to how Pheu Thai Party and the red-shirt movement are related.

According to the source, a former key PDRC figure, Suthep has decided to be a member of the prospective party, without accepting any crucial post so he could keep a pledge he made during the PDRC era.

“But many people disagree, seeing Suthep as a suitable choice to lead the party,” the source said. “If that’s the case, he may have to make a public apology, with the reason that it’s necessary for him to return to politics to carry on his mission.”

The party has gathered 200 prospective members and aims to reach about 500 members. It plans to inform the Election Commission (EC) by next month before making a public debut in May.

Its members plan to become a middle-sized party, expecting to win 15 to 20 constituency MPs and about 30 party-list MPs.

The name is not settled yet. The first choice could be derived from the PDRC’s full name in Thai, which can be translated as “people’s party for changes and reforms of Thailand for complete democracy under a [constitutional] monarchy”. The second choice, meanwhile, could be as simple as “Great Mass of People Party”.

The party will stick to its original principles regarding reforms considered to have been undone by the junta government. Related policies and draft laws on “national reform” are expected to be promoted.

New parties have been registering with the EC since Friday to compete in the next election, currently promised by the junta to be held by next February, under the 2017 Constitution.

The charter, which introduces many new election instruments, is seen by critics as helping middle and small-sized parties to gain more parliamentary seats, which would ultimately affect the voting for the next prime minister.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340149

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-05

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“But many people disagree, seeing Suthep as a suitable choice to lead the party,” the source said. “If that’s the case, he may have to make a public apology, with the reason that it’s necessary for him to return to politics to carry on his mission.”

the thai wai version of: 'my former promises ?, i was just kidding,all is well'

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Suthep and Thaksin..  remarkable how alike they are.

I agree in so far as they are both products of the same flawed establishment (simply albeit inaccurately described by Prayut's "pillars of society") and use the same "Thai-styled" democratic institutions to pursue an authoritarian agenda. The differences are in the kind of political tools used to achieve their goals. Thaksin gravitated to populist policies while Suthep relied on the more traditional autocratic policies and practices.

Prayut is also alike both Thaksin and Suthep. 

Just now, jesimps said:

We expect nothing less from junta fanatics.

Would junta fanatics comment in a bad way on loyal supporters of the junta (Suthep) as I do.. I guess not

Fanatic red shirt lovers would however defend Thaksin like you do and not accept that both of them are equally bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

I agree in so far as they are both products of the same flawed establishment (simply albeit inaccurately described by Prayut's "pillars of society") and use the same "Thai-styled" democratic institutions to pursue an authoritarian agenda. The differences are in the kind of political tools used to achieve their goals. Thaksin gravitated to populist policies while Suthep relied on the more traditional autocratic policies and practices.

Prayut is also alike both Thaksin and Suthep. 

I was more talking about how they both vowed to stay out of politics and how they are both corrupt as can be. You are talking more about what kind of political tools they used so we are both right. 

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Glad to see they're upholdng the Thai tradition of short catchy names

With another 30 or so similar names the ballot paper's gonna look like the unabridged version of War and Peace. While selecting the "right" candidate is gonna make choosing lottery numbers look like exact science

I like the "Hen Kair Tua" or "Selfish" Party.  At least they say it as it is. I am just surprised that they were allowed to register the party under that name.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The party will stick to its original principles regarding reforms considered to have been undone by the junta government. Related policies and draft laws on “national reform” are expected to be promoted.

Seems somebody hasn't read the 2017 Constitution and new laws. All were designed by the junta not to be altered or repealed by the next and subsequent elected governments. It would take little effort for anyone to petition the Constitutional Court to find any subsequent challenges to the NCPO 20-Year Reform Plan as unconstitutional. Prayut indicated one purpose of institutionalizing the NCPO 20-Year Reform Plan was to eliminate the need for successive military coups to reset government priorities.

So if the PDRC indeed intends to "stick to its original principles," it will do so I believe without support from the junta and not have a significant role in any elected pro-military government. Suthep for Minister of Agriculture?

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Seems somebody hasn't read the 2017 Constitution and new laws. All were designed by the junta not to be altered or repealed by the next and subsequent elected governments. It would take little effort for anyone to petition the Constitutional Court to find any subsequent challenges to the NCPO 20-Year Reform Plan as unconstitutional. Prayut indicated one purpose of institutionalizing the NCPO 20-Year Reform Plan was to eliminate the need for successive military coups to reset government priorities.

So if the PDRC indeed intends to "stick to its original principles," it will do so I believe without support from the junta and not have a significant role in any elected pro-military government. Suthep for Minister of Agriculture?

Or..they are just kinda making it up.

Having a good laugh over the gai yang and somtam....we all need a splendid eructation from time to time.

Edited by Odysseus123

I'm so glad that this low-life has shown his true colours so early. The 'wouldn't touch him with a barge pole' tag now applies good and proper and Abhisit must be looking through the 'Hired Killer' yellow pages as we speak.

23 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I stand corrected that the 20 years reform plan is still only a bill and the master plan is being discussed. Yet to be law. The constitution provide the legal provision that the state provide a reform plan. IMHO this reform master law will likely lapsed to the next government; elected or otherwise. As I said, stand corrected Sir. 

Is he eligible with so many charges? Anyway, I like to see in politics. His opponents will have a field day talking about his corruption. Just too many subject matters. Bring him on as I like to see him fail badly in the election. May need to seek another sojourn in the monastery . 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Is he eligible with so many charges? Anyway, I like to see in politics. His opponents will have a field day talking about his corruption. Just too many subject matters. Bring him on as I like to see him fail badly in the election. May need to seek another sojourn in the monastery . 

I think you need to be convicted, charges are nothing unproven. That is probably the reason politicians always fight things till the highest court so they can remain eligible and stay in politics. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I think you need to be convicted, charges are nothing unproven. That is probably the reason politicians always fight things till the highest court so they can remain eligible and stay in politics. 

You right. With so many charges, he better tow the line with the establishment or they will fix him up and seize his assets. 

Just now, Eric Loh said:

You right. With so many charges, he better tow the line with the establishment or they will fix him up and seize his assets. 

We live in hope (of him losing his assets and doing some jail time)

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"Necessary" for him to break his promise? Does anyone actually believe that?

He is a power-seeking cockroach; nothing more, nothing less.

God help Thailand if this thing gets back into politics.

Another kick in the teeth for democracy if this er "person" takes part in politics again

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

Probably simply reverting to part of a deal that was made 5 years ago with the current unelected incumbent.

Agreed. All part of a grand plan.  'Shutdown Bangkok, Restart Thailand'. Back to the future and same as it ever was. Except perhaps it might be a little more difficult than in the past. Keep your fingers on the trigger boys, there's nowhere to hide anymore. You can't incarcerate the entire opposition. Or can you?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Imagine if a Lee Kuan Yew and a cadre of PAP officials had been given governance of Thailand 4 years ago, armed with S44, how much visible progress there would be already.

Since you mentioned LKY, I sincerely doubt he will use 44. Corruption eradication is a personal political will, exemplary in his approach and need the people to buy into his vision. 44 is self defeating in all those aspect and itself is corrupted. Prayut is in no position to eradicate corruption because he is just a puppet.