What's with the Baht? ???

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Rupiah and Peso are very different things from the Baht. And even if the Baht were to weaken, against what, against the Pound? The Pound is already in trouble and it has further down to go, the best that I can imagine is a Baht where any future weakness is offset by even greater Pound weakness.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

The strength of a currency is dependent on the country economic, political & international situation & for some years Thai conditions  have been stronger than other countries. So that translates into the Baht remaining strong against all others currencies, plus, most other countries have had problems/issues that affected their currencies anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WinterGael said:

I still have an income a little better than what most English teachers make here.  That is until lately. 

When my wife and I got married in January 2017 I was getting 26.6 to 27.3 baht/Canadian dollar. 

A native English teacher normally earns at least 30-35k

So far, this is the Trade War Decade.  Every country is trying to keep their currency cheap to make their exports

look more appealing.  It is a race to the bottom, if you will.  Thailand is no different from any other country in the

current world currency war.  The baht is strong and they can't keep it down for long before it starts rising again.

Bank Of Thailand will come out with another "encyclical" soon decrying the current strength of the baht and they

will attempt to weaken it.  And so it goes.

13 minutes ago, LALes said:

So far, this is the Trade War Decade.  Every country is trying to keep their currency cheap to make their exports

look more appealing.  It is a race to the bottom, if you will.  Thailand is no different from any other country in the

current world currency war.  The baht is strong and they can't keep it down for long before it starts rising again.

Bank Of Thailand will come out with another "encyclical" soon decrying the current strength of the baht and they

will attempt to weaken it.  And so it goes.

Thailand NEVER attempts to weaken the baht, they are proud of it, they want it to be the strongest currency in the world.

I guess you believe Thailand saying it wants democracy, and wants to get rid of sex workers.

Haven't you worked it out yet, they ALWAYS do the opposite to what they say.

Until they can't ......... then overnight it drops to 30% of it's current value. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Could have something to do with the relatively high interest rates on bank accounts in Thailand (and the virtual absence of interest rates in Canada).

Besides, Canada is dependent on what Trump tweets in the middle of the night....

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yeah, it's a funny old country,

UK was getting 50bht to the pound for ages, then Brexit dropped it to 42 a year or so back.

Funny thing is before Brexit I was getting 70 peso, and now the rate is 72 peso.

It's only the Thai Baht that is doing well in Asia.

If I were starting out here again, it would be in the Philippines.

Yes.. Philippines does attract (except for Mindanao and a few other areas).   But if you are Buddhist...there are only a very few small Buddhist temples in the Phil....  only in Manila and Cebu and maybe three others in the rest of the country. And probably less than thirty Buddhist monks in the whole country.  Philippines is about 90% - 95% Christian...  mostly Catholic.  

10 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Do I see it correct that also the volumes are decreasing ? If so, what would be the reason for this.

Fewer Canadian dollars are buying even fewer Thai Baht, that's fewer tourists and less FDI.

MJM - it's not correct to say that BOT never tries to weaken the Baht. They have gone through extended periods where they spent large amounts of foreign currency reserves trying to do just that but it's a no win proposition. The answer lays in changing the rules governing currency controls such as allowing exporters to invest foreign currency overseas and that has been done quite recently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

I don't know. I just hear hotel managers, restaurants and others connected to tourism crying about their decreasing income.

Once again, the profile of tourism in Thailand changes from time to time, usually as one region of tourists stops coming and a new one starts. That means new destinations, new hotels, different restaurant types, different style of entertainment etc etc. Chinese tourists aren't too interested in Pattaya and the go-go's, they also don't want to sit in bars and drink all day - Chiang Mai and the North benefits from such tourists but Pattaya and Phuket suffer. When it changes again next time, perhaps the pendulum will swing the other way, who knows. I remember around 2008 when western tourists were in decline, all the bar owners kept saying how Pattaya was about to die, the smart ones transformed their business to keep up with the changes.

• Like 2

I suspect the baht to get stronger and stronger until the military leave power.  then it will reset to its proper value. 

some will be left more affluential than when the military coup occured than others.

• Like 1

Was it supposed to stay the same forever or only move in your favor? Show me a chart that does that for any currency in and country for anytime and I'll join your bandwagon. Until then you better stock up on tissues before the price goes up again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, manchega said:

I suspect the baht to get stronger and stronger until the military leave power.  then it will reset to its proper value. 

some will be left more affluential than when the military coup occured than others.

And what is its proper value and how does that reset happen, do people simply stop buying THB, if so that means tourism drops off to zero and Thailand doesn't export anything? Would you perhaps like to change your answer?