Thaivisa exclusive: Farang firefighter is Australian - and he's out battling another huge blaze!

webfact

36 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I think the point some are trying to make is that "technically", under stupid Thai law, they could give him a problem for working as a fireman, even as a volunteer, if they authorities so wished to.  

When U do this sort of stuff first they do is take your name, address exctra, you are now a part of the team, in this case a bush fire fighting team , You just don't go out fighting fires willy nilly there has to be control, so how does this work within their ancient laws????:coffee1:

14 hours ago, the guest said:

I wouldn't even bother working in Thailand, it's too alien and there will always be a dark cloud over your head in the form of immigration, just waiting to use any excuse to check you out of the country. Better to come on holiday or retire.

I've had no problems working in for over two decades.

Worked in multiple places on one WP, with no hassle. You sound paranoid, why on earth would immigration want to kick me out???

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

But. under archaic Thai labor laws, it is still a work permit violation, because he is only authorized to work in her jam factory, not at other locations.  Thai labor law was never brought current to include workers who are assigned to field work or digital nomads who can work from any location with an internet connection, including working from home.  A great guy, trying to help his adopted home, and still the Thais don't understand how their legal system and government screw the farang at every opportunity.

Nonsense, do you realize how many digital nomads work here with no problem from the ministry of labor?

How many Thais could work or retire in your country so easily, or come as a tourist with visa on entry?  

Every country has archaic laws that are never enforced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johng said:

True.

:sad:  Guess that shows (to this modern westerner) how insecure Thai governments were (or, may still be)?

When ur the big fish (AKA, PM) in a small pond it must be tough to believe or trust that some 'outsiders' may be able to contribute meaningfully to the benefit of the pond. :whistling:

I fell foul in this area several years ago. 

Working for Ford at Rayong, I was introduced to some notable causes and The Blue oval being corporate citizens globally certainly support volunteers and their community work. 

Finished up driving several of my engineers to northern Thailand to do work at their local Wat. 

Also met with people from Opportunity Foundation in Nangrong who do work with victims of crime and trafficking and abuse. 

Until I was informed that the action was illegal and my APEC card could be canceled... 

But it was OK to volunteer contributions to them!!!!! 

I would have thought that a country like this was only too happy to have volunteers without the burocratic BS. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

it is still a work permit violation

No, walking into the push and pouring water over flames is not a violation of Thai Labour Law. Neither is going out and catching a snake or biting your dog.

Signing up as a volunteer firefighter at your local fire brigade however would be a violation. 

Yes, people might be hung up about the Labour law here, but this case has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense, do you realize how many digital nomads work here with no problem from the ministry of labor?

How many Thais could work or retire in your country so easily, or come as a tourist with visa on entry?  

Every country has archaic laws that are never enforced.

What is nonsense?  Digital nomads are on shaky ground, but unless they flaunt their activities, compete with a Thai for a job, or piss off a politically-connected Thai, they don't have to worry.  There were 2 raids in Chiang Mai involving "digital nomads".

In the PunSpace raid, Thai authorities were alerted that there were many foreigners in an internet cafe.  All were rounded up and questioned.  Only those who couldn't produce passports were held.  No charges were brought, after it was determined that the labor statute wasn't sufficiently current to deal with the digital nomad worker.

In the Riverside Condo raid, Thai authorities responded to a complaint about possible spying by agents for the Chinese government.  It turns out that the first floor of the condo had been converted into an office used by online teachers for a company offering lessons to Chinese children.  The result was pretty much the same as PunSpace, except that the company owner was charged with business registration and illegal conversion of residential to business use.

The bottom line is that digital nomads are technically in violation of the law, but MOL realizes the statute is too archaic to deal with their situation, and, as long as no public disturbance or complaint is made involving the foreigner, they will not be bothered.  Although not a digital nomad case, compare the sex coach from Belarus in Pattaya who is being held and will probably be deported for violating the terms of her visa (working while on a tourist visa).  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I think the point some are trying to make is that "technically", under stupid Thai law, they could give him a problem for working as a fireman, even as a volunteer, if they authorities so wished to.  

If being the operative word.

Let's wait until the arrest and deportation of this guy before we get all hysterical

about work permit laws in Thailand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

For which he may be in violation of labor laws.

Depends on what he does in the company and whether his work was misrepresented in any work permit. Notice that his wife didn't say he has a work permit to work in her company.

Foreigners who engage in work different to that which is registered in their work permit will be fined up to 100,000 THB. Under Thai law, some foreigners are prohibited from working in certain professions such as manual work, agriculture and secretarial work. In total there are 39 occupations prohibited to foreigners.

For example Post #107:

I have a work permit. On it it says "Manager, Supervising Chef". I was arrested by undercover police for carrying a box of potatoes to the kitchen which he said is manual labor reserved for Thais. 

What was the outcome of your arrest?

And why are spuds packed in boxes in Thailand whereas everywhere else

packs them in bags?

• Haha 1