Generations of senior managers behind welfare fraud,claims ex-staffer

webfact

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Enter stage left to fanfare comes holier-than-thou corruption fighter Pinocchio to clean up the mess and make hero of self.

Galloping into the mix to sort things out; on his donkey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

The present government wants to root out corruption to make them look better.. unfortunately corruption by their own is not investigated. I guess it goes over your head to imagine the government to take this case and ga after people hard just to get that image back and to keep this in the news to blot out bad news about the government. 

No altruism.. just survival. 

What image?

Do you think that the present incumbents-all born and bred in the country-may not have noticed that such a system operates right across the board?

I feel sorry for them if they require "enlightenment" on the subject by us posters on TvF.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

What image?

Do you think that the present incumbents-all born and bred in the country-may not have noticed that such a system operates right across the board?

I feel sorry for them if they require "enlightenment" on the subject by us posters on TvF.

I have no idea if they knew or not.. do remember it operated during your beloved PTP governments too. Did they not know either or did they not care.

I don't care if they knew or not.. I just hope that public pressure forces them to do something and that some people get punished. I prefer a perfect system where they go after all corruption equally and where they take away the ill gotten gains of those who are corrupt. However i don't think this will happen any time soon. Right now the only system we have is a system that is been broken (been that way always) I am just happy if corrupt officials get punished. I would be happier with a working system but I am a realist.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I have no idea if they knew or not.. do remember it operated during your beloved PTP governments too. Did they not know either or did they not care.

I don't care if they knew or not.. I just hope that public pressure forces them to do something and that some people get punished. I prefer a perfect system where they go after all corruption equally and where they take away the ill gotten gains of those who are corrupt. However i don't think this will happen any time soon. Right now the only system we have is a system that is been broken (been that way always) I am just happy if corrupt officials get punished. I would be happier with a working system but I am a realist.

Sorry..beloved PTP days?

Oh that's right you turn up on every "Thaksin" thread proclaiming that it all just isn't right.I have said nothing other than this system has been in place for a thousand years so don't expect any genuine changes anytime soon.

You are a realist?

Can't you find a bucket of whitewash to paint out a few kitty cats?

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sorry..beloved PTP days?

Oh that's right you turn up on every "Thaksin" thread proclaiming that it all just isn't right.I have said nothing other than this system has been in place for a thousand years so don't expect any genuine changes anytime soon.

You are a realist?

Can't you find a bucket of whitewash to paint out a few kitty cats?

Whitewash ? why would i want to whitewash this i hate corruption. I hope they get punished. I just mentioned the PTP because you were talking about the present lot as if they were to blame for a system that has been in place so long. I certainly don't blame them for this, blame them for the watch scandal sure, the park, the construction company of the nephew. Just not this because its been there so long. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Whitewash ? why would i want to whitewash this i hate corruption. I hope they get punished. I just mentioned the PTP because you were talking about the present lot as if they were to blame for a system that has been in place so long. I certainly don't blame them for this, blame them for the watch scandal sure, the park, the construction company of the nephew. Just not this because its been there so long. 

Ah...I see.

As mentioned before by an excellent poster, I sheet the blame home to whom it belongs-the gardener.:passifier:

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah...I see.

As mentioned before by an excellent poster, I sheet the blame home to whom it belongs-the gardener.:passifier:

I am not sure that that explanation held up the previous time. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am not sure that that explanation held up the previous time. 

It's been holding up since Pharoah Tutankhamun's day-I am sure that it will hold up a little longer.

But,as you say,a golden opportunity for the incumbent gov't to show its true colours.Watch this space!

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This is not small beans corruption but a major corruption that the junta PM must immediately address. This is that moment he should bang the table and demand answers and set up a commission to probe and report back to him directly. The retired officer must walk the talk and come out to testify wrongdoings and point out the wrongdoers. But then this junta is all about selective targeting of corruption and itself has been tarnished with corruption. As for the retired officer, he probably keep low and safe. So in summary, nothing will be done and not likely to see any serious convictions. 

He may be worried about his own misdeeds coming to light, better to whistle or sing a song, we are all in this together, everyone a little diamond glistening in the sun. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This is not small beans corruption but a major corruption that the junta PM must immediately address. This is that moment he should bang the table and demand answers and set up a commission to probe and report back to him directly. The retired officer must walk the talk and come out to testify wrongdoings and point out the wrongdoers. But then this junta is all about selective targeting of corruption and itself has been tarnished with corruption. As for the retired officer, he probably keep low and safe. So in summary, nothing will be done and not likely to see any serious convictions. 

Excellent post.

But, it ain't gonna happen.

Prayut and his cronies have been wooing the bureaucracy for four years in the hope that they provide a political base. If he does the right thing and exposes the corruption, all that work will have been for nothing.

Broom, meet carpet.

And once again after writing about this, I feel the need for a shower... 

PS if members are interested in how this works, have a look at Suharto's Indonesia. That seems to be the playbook.

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee
  • Like 1

I knew someone who worked for a Thai government agency in the past that received a lot of money to support the people it was supposed to serve.

My acquaintance always would tell me, skimming and kickbacks were rampant, virtually every time their department made any kind of contract or product/supplies purchase.

So, that they're doing it also with welfare payments doesn't come as any great surprise.

In past news reports, I believe the typical skim or kickback share on government public works contracting here has often been estimated at 25 to 40% or so....  Thai tax dollars, hard at work....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

So in summary, nothing will be done and not likely to see any serious convictions. 

A correct summation I would think. It is also likely that the some of the grand high poobahs of the junta have family, friends and relations mixed up in these mafia style scams and rorts.

Protection of the "family" has much higher priority than honesty and justice and exposure of misappropriated taxpayer funds.. 

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 2

My Thai wife says that the corruption in this area of Thai government is wide-spread and endemic.  <My translation from her Thai>
But who is going to rein it in?  Someone with $1.25 million USD worth of undeclared watches.  His fellow compatriots?  I think not.  TIT - that's the way of it here in the LOS.  The corruption will stay endemic, although a few lower level apparatchiks may be tossed under the bus for the sake of controlling the narrative.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, I guess the office car park did some what give it away !

multi-million-dollar-car-park-thumb-550x

Funded by money stolen from the "budget intended for low income families, the homeless, HIV patients and destitute people who need money to return to their home provinces" 

One cannot fall lower than this. I wonder how do they face themselves in the mirror and why do their families not ask/wonder where the spouse or dad/mum is getting all this wealth from a government salary?

Edited by saakura
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ombra said:

Surely it has continued for so long because so many thousand people have been involved and because so many others have been waiting for their share. It is a shocking insight into the scale of corruption in Thailand.

It is conspicuous that the great corruption fighter Prayut chan-o-cha has not mentioned a word of it. Or even made some big mouth media statement about it. Family and friends involved perhaps? The likelihood of probability is very high.  Silence can sometimes say a lot.

This is the big problem with Thailand.

When corruption is so embedded, over time it is not regarded as corruption therefore it becomes an accepted practice, in this case to the  detriment of those poor people the welfare payments were intended for.   

Call it out and be berated by your professors or other 'betters' who all have a finger in the pie.

Double or triple sentences for any public sector crime and get serious about prosecutions is the only way ahead.

Unfortunately the system is so jaundiced it will never happen.

• Like 1