U.S. Holocaust museum rescinds award to Myanmar's Suu Kyi

webfact

U.S. Holocaust museum rescinds award to Myanmar's Suu Kyi

2018-03-07T192709Z_1_LYNXNPEE261V8_RTROPTP_3_INDIA-ASEAN.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi walks towards her car after arriving at Air Force Station Palam in New Delhi, India, January 24, 2018. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum has rescinded its top award to Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi because of her failure to condemn and stop military attacks on her country's minority Rohingya Muslims, the museum said on Wednesday.

The Washington museum's rescission of its Elie Wiesel Award to Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner, is the latest honor to be retracted over her silence about widespread abuses against the Rohingya.

Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy have refused to cooperate with United Nations investigators, fed hate attacks on the Rohingya and denied reporters access to areas where alleged abuses have taken place, the museum said in a letter to Suu Kyi that was posted on its website.

"It is with great regret that we are now rescinding that award. We did not take this decision likely," it said in the letter dated March 6.

The Myanmar Embassy in Washington said it regretted that the museum had been "misled and exploited by people who failed to see the true situation" in the western state of Rakhine.

The decision to rescind the award would "have no bearing on the determination of the Myanmar people in supporting the leadership" of Suu Kyi, the embassy said in a statement dated March 7.

The government would "redouble its efforts in finding a lasting solution" for Rakhine State, it said.

The United Nations and human rights organizations have collected evidence of widespread abuses by the Myanmar military against the largely stateless Rohingya, including murder, rape and arson. The attacks have prompted nearly 700,000 to flee to neighboring Bangladesh.

Buddhist-majority Myanmar denies the abuse charges and says its security forces are fighting a legitimate campaign against "terrorists" it blames for attacks on security forces.

The plight of the Rohingya has sparked outrage around the world. There have been calls for Suu Kyi to be stripped of her Nobel prize, won for her pro-democracy fight, for not speaking out to condemn the Myanmar military's actions.

Suu Kyi is Myanmar's state counselor and foreign minister. She has had other honors rescinded, including the freedoms of the cities of Dublin and Oxford, England. Last month, three Nobel peace laureates urged Suu Kyi and the military to end the "genocide" of Rohingya Muslims now or face prosecution.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Additional reporting by Simon Lewis in YANGON; Editing by Dan Grebler, Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-08
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am not interested in any group....left or right, and dont support anything each may do...just post my actual experiences.

BUT

It's becoming very obvious that the Username you are using may not be used by one person only. IMO, the Username is being used by a GROUP who have an agenda....

Ever been to Myanmar?.....Ever been to Bangladesh?.... other than by way of internet !!

Edited by weegee

54 minutes ago, weegee said:

<snip>

It's becoming very obvious that the Username you are using may not be used by one person only. IMO, the Username is being used by a GROUP who have an agenda....<snip>

LOL -  yet another conspiracy theory - time to see a mental health professional 

Just now, mike324 said:

I suspect Suu Kyi kept her mouth shut because she does not want to be under house arrest again or is threaten with worse stuff. If she speaks out against the government, it would be a step backward for her party. She can very easily leave the country and criticize Burma and its leaders, but she refuse to do so because she feels very strongly about remaining and bringing change in the long term. She refused to leave the country, even when her husband was about to die, she even refuse to leave so she can be with her children. For her its not about prizes and recognition.

Just a thought....

It is a good thought...

Still.it does not detract from the fact that  the Burmese military (Myanmar) has launched numerous campaigns against their minorities..be they Christian,Animist or Muslim.

Nationalism (without pluralism) is a double edged sword.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

It is a good thought...

Still.it does not detract from the fact that  the Burmese military (Myanmar) has launched numerous campaigns against their minorities..be they Christian,Animist or Muslim.

Nationalism (without pluralism) is a double edged sword.

I know, it does not detract the fact from the atrocities that the Burmese military are committing. I'm sure she knows that. She is being cornered by both sides, left with no moves. She can be a hero and speak out for the people and be celebrated by the West again, but be subject to harsher punishment. Or just ride it out and live in peace but with guilt, but at least there is still hopes of change in the future with her party.

Speaking out against the military really does nothing, it changes nothing, she is not in control and has absolutely no power or influence on issues like this. The military is ruthless, they don't give a damn about the West, let alone one of their own people.

I think the West needs to put more pressure and sanctions on Myanmar, stop the aide money.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, weegee said:

Typical answer....from someone who has been cornered about a subject....and hasnt had time to get the answer from Google.

Put up or shut up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

I know, it does not detract the fact from the atrocities that the Burmese military are committing. I'm sure she knows that. She is being cornered by both sides, left with no moves. She can be a hero and speak out for the people and be celebrated by the West again, but be subject to harsher punishment. Or just ride it out and live in peace but with guilt, but at least there is still hopes of change in the future with her party.

Speaking out against the military really does nothing, it changes nothing, she is not in control and has absolutely no power or influence on issues like this. The military is ruthless, they don't give a damn about the West, let alone one of their own people.

I think the West needs to put more pressure and sanctions on Myanmar, stop the aide money.

I think you are being far to soft on Suu Kui. Yes, she has limited power but she has had numerous opportunities to speak out against the ethnic cleansing & not done so. She refuses to even mention the word Rohingya & reacts when others do in her presence.

One only needs to look at why Bill Richardson walked away from the (whitewash?) panel supposedly advising on implementing Kofi Annan's recommendations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-rohingya-richardson-exclusive/exclusive-richardson-quits-myanmars-whitewash-rohingya-crisis-panel-idUSKBN1FD2OJ

IMO she has become a lover of the power that she has and is no longer a leader but a follower of the fascist monks' hatred that has enveloped the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is correct.

They realize that ethnic cleansing applied against one group can very well be applied against another-and often is.

Still,given the fact the fact that the "ethnically cleansed" in this case is Muslim, I give full marks to the Holocaust Museum for their integrity and honesty.

as exhibited by their opposition to apartheid in Israel.

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

as exhibited by their opposition to apartheid in Israel.

I  give full matks to  them in this instance.

I see nothing regarding Israel on this thread.

Any chance of giving me another "sad" without directly quoting me?

Anything else is sotto voce,of course.

Addit-my apologies as you did quote me but it came thru' late

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, khunken said:

I think you are being far to soft on Suu Kui. Yes, she has limited power but she has had numerous opportunities to speak out against the ethnic cleansing & not done so. She refuses to even mention the word Rohingya & reacts when others do in her presence.

One only needs to look at why Bill Richardson walked away from the (whitewash?) panel supposedly advising on implementing Kofi Annan's recommendations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-rohingya-richardson-exclusive/exclusive-richardson-quits-myanmars-whitewash-rohingya-crisis-panel-idUSKBN1FD2OJ

IMO she has become a lover of the power that she has and is no longer a leader but a follower of the fascist monks' hatred that has enveloped the country.

Yes she has opportunities to speak out, but she won't because you think she has become a lover of power? That is where our opinions differ. But perhaps she could careless about the Rohingyas because her own people are being oppress to begin with too. Perhaps she can't even fight for her own people, let alone the Rohingyas.

I find it hard it to believe, she was given a chance to go see her dying husband, but she refused. She was given her freedom to go live with children, she refused. She prefer to be under house arrest so she can remain in burma - to continue her fight. Perhaps her ego is too big? We will see in the next decade, or perhaps we will never know as she will most likely die in burma without having to make any difference after her release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simple1 said:

Wonderful, full support for War Crimes (Ethnic Cleansing)

There is plenty of satellite imagery capturing the destruction of Rohingya villages and so on to establish the atrocities committed by Myanmar government. Also long term history of Myanmar military carrying our War Crimes over the years against non Muslim ethnic groups. Let's hear your support of Myanmar government forces using rape as a tool of war against Burmese ethnic Christians or is that "different".

https://interserve.org.au/pray-for-the-nations/myanmar-rape-as-a-weapon-of-war-against-christians/

Yes, we can go on about the Burmese military's atrocious record for pages, but this thread isn't about them, it's about her, and let's not forget that she suffered at their hands for many years. 

I can't imagine how she feels having to co operate with those monsters, but I'm sure she has no desire to go back into house arrest either.

• Like 2

Exactly. But self righteous, arm chair experts who do not even have the slightest understanding of the situation have no problem tarnishing her reputation. Who are the Holocaust museum in DC to presume to bestow or revoke honor on anyone else unrelated to their mission anyway?

I don’t know what greater proof is needed to corroborate that she is not at liberty to speak freely, than the fact that she herself was under house arrest for a significant part of her life. To tarnish her name is misdirected reaction that does no good for anyone.

She’s one of the “good guys” and misrepresenting this as somehow her fault distracts the world’s attempts from the true perpetrators. How stupid!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
They gave the award so they have the right to rescind it.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

They gave the award so they have the right to rescind it.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That’s their prerogative, take it back. I think it’s ridiculous that they presume to issue “awards” in the first place, and then make a big deal about rescinding them.

Anyway, I’ll leave it with this comment. It’s so absurd that it isn’t worth further discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1