Tourists hospitalised after fire rips through Pattaya Walking Street

rooster59

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

They almost made it to the anniversary:

15 March 2017, transformer explosion in front of "Rock Street" in the heart of WS.

FORTUNATELY this happened at 7:30 AM.

That would have cost lives otherwise.

Rebuilt and now a huge new transformer at the place.

I was there that night until about 2 am. Proper rock when the place burns down after the party.

That said, you'll never see me going into those death traps like Lucifer or the walking street bar where only exit is a small corridor.

• Like 2

Being very cynical, but it is strange the way certain places that the government / local police etc want cleaned up - get accidentally burnt down! It happens in Laos all the time. I am sure it was not the case but some things make you think.

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

not the first time they have had a fire , sorry for the injured, but a good start to clearing the rest of this rabbit warren of a place, and putting something nice in its place after reclaiming the beach.

Yes then it would be just like Southport on a Monday morning in winter. Pattaya is Pattaya if you do not like it ignore it.

40 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

re photos in post 10. Are those customer tables under the transformer?! Oh My . . .!  Incredibly fortunate that only two were injured. 

No. These are metal boxes/cages for empty bottles.

Better seen there :

117.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, amdy2206 said:

Being very cynical, but it is strange the way certain places that the government / local police etc want cleaned up - get accidentally burnt down!

A few months ago a transformer near the junction of Pattaya Tai and Sukumvit exploded making most of Wat Tam area without power. Then a transformer caught fire on Sukumvit opposite the Arunothai junction . Are you saying that the Government want to close Sukumvit down in that area ..???? ...Or perhaps it is just widespread bad workmanship/products and not some devilish plan ..... or a squirrel invasion... ??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, johng said:

Remember the 2 "Hollywood" disco fires when it was still in South Pattaya.
And the very bad one on Third road north end "Route999 disco" 10 dead
Xzyte fire x 2 as well

Only 10 dead by fire in more than 10 years ? (Route 999 was 2006)

Not so bad IMHO for a city that received millions of visitors yearly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

There was no disco involved in this fire. 

Contrary to what ThaiVisa wrote in the OP of this thread, Marine (Mansion) Disco has not been touched and certainly was not the starting point of the fire... :sleep:

The Marine building is the one with the blue roof in the back left of this pic,

and the fire mainly stayed around the transformer and the bar next to it on the corner :

117.jpg

I think most people are confusing the original Marine Disco on Walking Street, with the several other smaller discos in a few of the other Marine hotels nearby. The building in your picture is Marine Mansion, and had a disco on the ground floor, this is the closest Marine building to the fire. As you said, the fire didn't start in the hotel or disco, but in those two horrendously loud bars opposite (Ann Ann and Titanic) that would often be still playing Arabian pop music at full volume at daybreak. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

not the first time they have had a fire , sorry for the injured, but a good start to clearing the rest of this rabbit warren of a place, and putting something nice in its place after reclaiming the beach.

You can reclaim the beach.. but not the water..

A general flame has been removed, please see the following forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

followed by a series of large explosions

so, how many Kg of TNT equivalent are we talking here?

or is "large explosions" just yet another example of journalistic nonsense ?

Edited by manarak

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Who "they" ? It's the first time I hear of a fire in this area, SMK Plaza beer bar complex :unsure:

BTW despite what ThaiVisa titled, the fire was NOT on Walking Street, but about 200m East in the narrow Soi 16.

Tourists on Walking Street probably didn't even noticed the fire, except maybe for the strident noise of firemen trucks sirens... :tongue:

Correct.  It was in Arab town. 

followed by a series of large explosions
so, how many Kg of TNT equivalent are we talking here?

or is "large explosions" just yet another example of journalistic nonsense ?

The transformer explosions are really very loud....no journalistic nonsense.

40 minutes ago, snoopy21 said:

I don't understand why when something happened, the injured will be sent to Pattaya Mermorial hospital?

Where would you have expected them to be taken? Pattaya Memorial is really popular with tourists and they are quite tourist-friendly. I'd be more than happy to be taken there instead of PIH or Bangkok Hospital.

• Like 1