Missing home

jimmyyy

On 12/03/2018 at 1:30 AM, chickenslegs said:

I'm from the UK.

What do I miss from home (apart from family and friends) ...

French bread and cheeses

Affordable Aussie/NZ/etc. wine

NZ/Aussie lamb chops

Jersey Royal potatoes

Belgian beer and chocolates

Proper Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi curries (English style)

Chinese (Hong Kong, Cantonese) take-aways

HP sauce (now made in the Netherlands)

Guinness

On 13/02/2018 at 12:34 PM, Get Real said:

I guess he will have a better chance of a long prison stay in Thailand. We can hope for anything between 15-20 years. Hopefully! 

I live in thailand bang chang 1hr from pattaya I get everything I want we have a expat food stores here even a finnegan Bar that sells  Guinness very good i rest my case don't know where you are buddy 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

Can you cook? 

I eat Thai food 90% of the time then make the occasional Western-style meal, anything from an omelette to the occasional casserole. A local stall has fresh tomatoes often enough, even potatoes! But I need to travel great distances to find real olive oil and pasta. But it doesn't matter that much. I'm much healthier now which is better. 

Seeing this sort of news from Australia seriously pisses me off:

"Supermarket demands for unblemished fruit has led to a high level of waste in the tomato industry, .."

The tomatoes I buy are visually imperfect but are fresh and taste better than most supermarket produce anywhere.

Try the tomatoes on the vine from New Zealand at Villa. Expensive, yes, but those are REAL tomatoes, with flavour and flesh in the middle instead of the nothingness of Thai tomatoes. Slice an imported onion from the US or elsewhere. The smell is heavenly and lasts for hours in the kitchen. Cut a Thai onion and you get, uh, nothing. Same with imported bell peppers. 

34 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Try the tomatoes on the vine from New Zealand at Villa. Expensive, yes, but those are REAL tomatoes, with flavour and flesh in the middle instead of the nothingness of Thai tomatoes. Slice an imported onion from the US or elsewhere. The smell is heavenly and lasts for hours in the kitchen. Cut a Thai onion and you get, uh, nothing. Same with imported bell peppers. 

Rubbish.

Real Spanish and And north European delicatessens with amazing breads salamis and 1kg tins of sheeps milk fetta cheese that dont require a bank loan. Large jars of pickled banana paprika's that cost $2 are  $6 dollars for a small jar here. being from OZ I miss the weekend staying at a winery sampling all kinds of good stuff cheeses included

left it all behind because there is stuff i can get in pattaya that i just cant get in Oz :biggrin:

1 hour ago, sandy102uk said:

Square sausage

Don’t rub it in...

My deputy says he makes his own.

i used to miss Tollcross samosas, but the Sentral Chapatti shop does an adequate substitute.  They don’t sell Irn Bru, though 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The sausages, bacon, and fish you get in Makro are nowhere near as good as what you get in the UK.

Don't think I specified anything in particular off that list but feel free to have a stab anyway and where did ya get sausages bacon and fish from? Or did you just misquote me for no reason to go completely off topic?

Edited by starky
  • Confused 1

The russet shades of Autumn, as the chestnuts fall, an a cool, damp October afternoon.  Thai kids probably don’t even know what conkers are

edit:  nor does Apple autocorrupt 

Or stair-rods

Edited by StreetCowboy

On 3/12/2018 at 1:30 AM, chickenslegs said:

I'm from the UK.

What do I miss from home (apart from family and friends) ...

French bread and cheeses

Affordable Aussie/NZ/etc. wine

NZ/Aussie lamb chops

Jersey Royal potatoes

Belgian beer and chocolates

Proper Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi curries (English style)

Chinese (Hong Kong, Cantonese) take-aways

HP sauce (now made in the Netherlands)

Guinness

I especially miss all the British cars.

• Like 1

a perfect 4 - 6 foot day at Malibu but now there's a lot more folks out in the line up than 30 years ago ('ye can't go home again...')

and now I'm too weak, old and decrepit to paddle out any way ('ye can't go home again...')

the mantra: 'ye can't go home again...'

but, ye can miss things all ye want...

and the corner mom and pop mexican restaurant has been usurped by politically correct nouvelle cuisine: 

('yes, I would like the vegetarian substitute carnitas tacos with juniper berries and pecorino with the vegan tortillas, refried beans and rice with the organic vegetable garnish...and the non alcoholic Dos Exis beer, thank you')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

About the only things I miss here as far as food items are jalapeño peppers, sweet onions and tomatillos. Oh, also Hunt's Tomato Sauces, it seems Foodland stopped stocking them. 

I have found I prefer the meat here, seems to have been raised in more sanitary conditions without the overuse of steroids and antibiotics.  Yes, I do realize much of the beef here is imported from Australia or New Zeland. 

I also miss driving on the right side of the road, people that appreciatively nod thanks when you yield your right of way to them. I cannot believe I am saying this but I miss Los Angeles traffic 5555. Heavy at times but at least more rational than Bangkok. 

A few things I won't miss, first come first served movie theaters. In Calif I have seen one theater where you choose your seat when buying your ticket That was Arc Light in Hollywood. People telling me "If you don't speak our language go home". I miss being able to work without a work permit. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Enlighten me please.

What do do you want Possum?.............. Colin has given a pretty good lead-in...

Post your shopping list and I will give you some recommendations.

• Like 1

Well, most of my family and friends are no longer in the States, I have a Harley here, and my wife is a great cook--so I can get just about any of the foods I like; you may have to pay a lot for the proper ingredients here, but what the hey?

Consequently, the only thing I really miss from the US is my land in West Virginia. It's the tops of several hills and the ravines in between. My wife, son, cousins and I built our cabin using lumber from the land. Our fresh water comes from a stream, several springs and a drilled well. We carved-out a pond fed from the stream in one of the ravines and keep it stocked with fish; frogs seem to find their own way there. The hunting is great; bear, deer, raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, turkey and quail. It's 31 miles to the nearest grocery store, but home brew and white lightning is just down the road. Berries, apples, walnuts, and green onions grow unattended. My son and my cousins are getting more use out of it than I. Oh, well, some day it will belong to my grandson.

• Like 2

I miss my youth, 

If I was in my 30s I would miss a lot , but now I don’t miss much. 

The only thing I miss all the time is southern CA wether. 

If I live in a right town in Thailand, I don’t think I miss anything. 

If you have no kitchen I’m sure you miss foods. 

seems to me all that you miss, other than the people, is pretty readily available here...although at a higher price for sure. the exception might be good Chinese take out...unless you venture to Chinatown, which is a huge hassle.

2 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

There's nothing 'unreal' about the tomatoes I get in my village, and the onions grown locally are delicious. It is all so good that I have no need to seek out your New Zealand produce. I don't need it and am happy to patronise the local farmers.

Me the same....:stoner:

• Like 1