Mum gives nod for Thanathorn to form a new political party

webfact

The mere fact that familial (clan) approval is sought and acted upon reveals the timeless characteristic of politics in Siam/Thailand and most systems "beyond" the West.

It is primarily a mechanism to acquire personal/tribal/dynastic power and has absolutely nothing to do with allegiance to political idealism or development.

Whatever populism they may spout they do not seek real change to the established social order (the key element in socio-political development).

This is the same old s***.

Expect more of it from all corners of the gold-flaked, glittering land.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

If we are heartily sick of this what do you think the smartphone generation of Thai youth is?

It depends how "smart" they are.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand and Asian culture where their children are exhorted to put family interests before individual wishes. This is an endearing culture which voters will value

Or before political ideals.

An "enduring" culture which keeps them where they are.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The mere fact that familial (clan) approval is sought and acted upon reveals the timeless characteristic of politics in Siam/Thailand and most systems "beyond" the West.

It is primarily a mechanism to acquire personal/tribal/dynastic power and has absolutely nothing to do with allegiance to political idealism or development.

Whatever populism they may spout they do not seek real change to the established social order (the key element in socio-political development).

Brilliant comments, Enoon.

This is why I am doubtful about how much this extremely rich scion of a very wealthy family really wants to shake up the whole intermeshed Thai Establishment. I doubt it very much. He will know which side his bread is buttered on - when push comes to shove (if I might mix my metaphors!). He probably does want to bring more fairness into Thai politics - but radically tackle the systemic evil and corruption of the Thai ruling class? I doubt it. He and his professorial running-mate have even commented elsewhere that they don't want to engage in divisive politics. What?! You cannot shift this incumbent bunch from their thieved positions of power WITHOUT being 'divisive'! And you cannot stand up for the ordinary (and especially poor) Thais without dividing yourself off from the faux-elite that have been running Thailand for far too long (running it into the ground).

Having said that, almost any alternative government would be much better than the wretched, corrupt and cowardly 'people' who are running Thailand today. The present bunch make the Yingluck government look good! And she did, after all, have the mandate of the majority of the voters - something Prayut will NEVER have (not without engaging in the usual daily lies, unverified claims, and manipulation) ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

Just now, Enoon said:

If your family owned a multi-billion baht business, wouldn't you consult them before entering the dirty game of politics? If it all goes south, his family will be affected by this decision.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

People here are laughing about him consulting his mom. I don't think its strange because once one enters politics the family can become a target too. I would find it strange if he did not talk with his family about this. You guys know how Thailand is one should consult the parents as the younger generation has to respect the wishes of the older generation (at least that is what is said)

Anyway I hope this guy can get in government and get enough support.

If he did get in by endearing voters with more populist policies,

but then ...proved to be just as corrupt as all the rest would you support a coup to remove him.

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Brilliant comments, Enoon.

This is why I am doubtful about how much this extremely rich scion of a very wealthy family really wants to shake up the whole intermeshed Thai Establishment. I doubt it very much. He will know which side his bread is buttered on - when push comes to shove (if I might mix my metaphors!). He probably does want to bring more fairness into Thai politics - but radically tackle the systemic evil and corruption of the Thai ruling class? I doubt it. He and his professorial running-mate have even commented elsewhere that they don't want to engage in divisive politics. What?! You cannot shift this incumbent bunch from their thieved positions of power WITHOUT being 'divisive'! And you cannot stand up for the ordinary (and especially poor) Thais without dividing yourself off from the faux-elite that have been running Thailand for far too long (running it into the ground).

Having said that, almost any alternative government would be much better than the wretched, corrupt and cowardly 'people' who are running Thailand today. The present bunch make the Yingluck government look good! And she did, after all, have the mandate of the majority of the voters - something Prayut will NEVER have (not without engaging in the usual daily lies, unverified claims, and manipulation) ...

Yes-a good post.

One day we may enter into a real discussion about what this man may have to offer to certain people..

Can you not  hear the silence?

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Denim said:

If he did get in by endearing voters with more populist policies,

but then ...proved to be just as corrupt as all the rest would you support a coup to remove him.

Depends on how bad he is.. but right now I have lost faith in generals and others. So I don't think ill support a coup. But I would hate for anyone to get off without punishment. So if no action meant he would get away with it and a coup would mean he gets punishment for his crime it would be a hard choice. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Depends on how bad he is.. but right now I have lost faith in generals and others. So I don't think ill support a coup. But I would hate for anyone to get off without punishment. So if no action meant he would get away with it and a coup would mean he gets punishment for his crime it would be a hard choice. 

I understand and share your desire for justice but have to wonder .....when there are coups , who punishes the publishers ?

That's why I hope everyone understands by now that coups don't address the problem, they tend to exacerbate it by causing division.

Truly , reforms are needed here but the ones that would really be useful are not mentioned even by the PDRC who got so much: mileage out of the ' padiroop' slogan.

If there were more freedom of the press and the defamation laws

( which favor the guilty trying to cover their crimes ) were seriously overhauled.....that would be a start.

Realistically , corruption in Thailand is so ingrained with so many senior civil servants on the take that regardless who is driving the bus , stamping out corruption is the work of a generation, hopefully this generation.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

I understand and share your desire for justice but have to wonder .....when there are coups , who punishes the publishers ?

That's why I hope everyone understands by now that coups don't address the problem, they tend to exacerbate it by causing division.

Truly , reforms are needed here but the ones that would really be useful are not mentioned even by the PDRC who got so much: mileage out of the ' padiroop' slogan.

If there were more freedom of the press and the defamation laws

( which favor the guilty trying to cover their crimes ) were seriously overhauled.....that would be a start.

Realistically , corruption in Thailand is so ingrained with so many senior civil servants on the take that regardless who is driving the bus , stamping out corruption is the work of a generation, hopefully this generation.

The thing is the politicians themselves use the defamation laws and will never restrict them (generals use them too). I just don't see things changing any time soon. I don't agree that winning an election means you don't have to face justice. 

The junta certainly showed its true colors recently.. so I am a lot more hesitant about coups, but at the same time I would hate it if a politician could consolidate his power so much that he is untouchable (the thing Thaksin tried to do) Then you got a politician who does the same as the junta. 

I don't think there are any quick solutions because there is so much money going around fromt he corruption that those fighting it will have an uphill battle if they were truly honest. I feel that even the anti corruption agencies are not really against corruption. The money stolen from the poor for instance almost everyone knows it works this way but they never launched an investigation into it. I wonder how much more is left unchecked. 

Did you see the clip where a TEACHER said to the poor they should lie and say they got the money. He is part of the problem probably getting his share too. I think 1000s of people are taking their cut I wonder how many will be found guilty and how much money will be recovered (doubt its much).

Right now just not feeling that positive about change at all. I am thinking that whoever gets in power will be corrupt and won't do anything to stop corruption. Maybe a few of the new parties.. but certainly not all. I have no faith in PTP who are corrupt to the bone, the Junta who has shown to be hypocrite and corrupt, the democrats who even though there are not many corruption scandals (except Suthep) are probably corrupt too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Does he have to ask Mum when he wants to go to the toilet as well ?     Geez; will people in this country ever grow up, because if they don't the country can't grow up either ?

If the 'aliens' minded their own business, the Thais would do theirs better, me thinks.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Or before political ideals.

An "enduring" culture which keeps them where they are.

If it was for political ideals , he will be better off joining one of the established political parties like Chitpaz. He seem different and teaming up Piyabutr has a resounding purpose of what they represent. They have tread on taboo subjects and they openly oppose coups. They are taking on the establishment and risking their future and probably life getting into politics. For that, they get my respect. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

The thing is the politicians themselves use the defamation laws and will never restrict them (generals use them too). I just don't see things changing any time soon. I don't agree that winning an election means you don't have to face justice. 

The junta certainly showed its true colors recently.. so I am a lot more hesitant about coups, but at the same time I would hate it if a politician could consolidate his power so much that he is untouchable (the thing Thaksin tried to do) Then you got a politician who does the same as the junta. 

I don't think there are any quick solutions because there is so much money going around fromt he corruption that those fighting it will have an uphill battle if they were truly honest. I feel that even the anti corruption agencies are not really against corruption. The money stolen from the poor for instance almost everyone knows it works this way but they never launched an investigation into it. I wonder how much more is left unchecked. 

Did you see the clip where a TEACHER said to the poor they should lie and say they got the money. He is part of the problem probably getting his share too. I think 1000s of people are taking their cut I wonder how many will be found guilty and how much money will be recovered (doubt its much).

Right now just not feeling that positive about change at all. I am thinking that whoever gets in power will be corrupt and won't do anything to stop corruption. Maybe a few of the new parties.. but certainly not all. I have no faith in PTP who are corrupt to the bone, the Junta who has shown to be hypocrite and corrupt, the democrats who even though there are not many corruption scandals (except Suthep) are probably corrupt too. 

Agree with your comments.

People might ask that as foreigners why should we care but if you have commitments here and are in for the long haul it is depressing to see how much injustice there is.

Just watching the news on tv about the whistle blowing student girl who exposed the corruption in the poor relief programme, I said to my wife that Thailand needed more people like her.

My wife agreed but then said that the girl might have to pay a heavy price for her honesty since many government agencies would now be scared or reluctant to employ her if they know how honest she is. Quite possibly true.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Agree with your comments.

People might ask that as foreigners why should we care but if you have commitments here and are in for the long haul it is depressing to see how much injustice there is.

Just watching the news on tv about the whistle blowing student girl who exposed the corruption in the poor relief programme, I said to my wife that Thailand needed more people like her.

My wife agreed but then said that the girl might have to pay a heavy price for her honesty since many government agencies would now be scared or reluctant to employ her if they know how honest she is. Quite possibly true.

I don't really loose much sleep over this, i find it unfair and would like it to stop but its not as if it makes me stressed. I just like commenting about it. 

There is a lot of injustice here and its depressing at times, but I remember when i followed the news and posted on forums in my home country there was a lot of crap there too. (not as bad as here of course).

I am here for the long haul too but I think I am beginning to change.. no longer blaming a certain party for the problems but accepting that they are all corrupt to varying degrees. Accepting that change if it comes will come slowly. Its positive we got forums to discuss stuff got camera images of injustice so they can't hide it anymore. 

Still Prawit seems to come off without a problem.. i think the 2 weeks for his watches have passed again and nobody is commenting about it (could be wrong)

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't really loose much sleep over this, i find it unfair and would like it to stop but its not as if it makes me stressed. I just like commenting about it. 

There is a lot of injustice here and its depressing at times, but I remember when i followed the news and posted on forums in my home country there was a lot of crap there too. (not as bad as here of course).

I am here for the long haul too but I think I am beginning to change.. no longer blaming a certain party for the problems but accepting that they are all corrupt to varying degrees. Accepting that change if it comes will come slowly. Its positive we got forums to discuss stuff got camera images of injustice so they can't hide it anymore. 

Still Prawit seems to come off without a problem.. i think the 2 weeks for his watches have passed again and nobody is commenting about it (could be wrong)

Prawit has been given a new lease of life while everyone is busy gawking at a very rich Leopard poacher.

Prayut said of this that no matter how rich the guy is he will make sure that the poacher will not be above the law.

Pity he didn't say that about his friends watches.

Last week , Anupong,who signed off on the purchase of some overly expensive police radar guns said he is not responsible as he only signed off on the deal and can't be expected to know all the details of it. 

The  ' Yingluk ' defense which has worked for him if not for her.

Against such blatant dishonesty and incompetence its hard to imagine that any new unaligned party that might manage to get elected will do any better since they will have to work with the same civil service, military, police and judiciary as everyone else.

No big change any time soon.

• Like 1