Credit card car purchase?

I am going to search Bangkok dealers to buy a new truck. Has anyone paid for a vehicle in Thailand using a USA credit card? Reasons get 2 percent cash back and don’t have to transfer funds to thai bank.  If no, then no big deal but easier for me to charge credit card and then pay credit card from my USA bank. I use credit cards all over BKK so please no advice to never use credit cards in Thailand. Thanks for your input. 

I've tried this before with two different dealers... Purchasing for cash, but figuring I could use the credit card to acquire a load of ThaiAirways Airmiles (1.2MB credit limit - and of course, pay off the credit card immediately)...  This was attempted with a Thai CitiBank card.

... It turned out not to be worth it... the dealerships wanted to charge an additional 3%

• 4 months later...

The dealers get charged about 2.75% fees by their bank for processing the credit card payment. So if you want to pay by credit card they usually increase the price by 2.75%. Your 2% cashback doesn't come from nothing, effectively it are the dealers who are paying for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I've tried this before with two different dealers... Purchasing for cash, but figuring I could use the credit card to acquire a load of ThaiAirways Airmiles (1.2MB credit limit - and of course, pay off the credit card immediately)...  This was attempted with a Thai CitiBank card.

... It turned out not to be worth it... the dealerships wanted to charge an additional 3%

Depending on the card, points/rewards is not the only thing to consider .

my cards also give an extra 1 year warranty and if lost or stolen full amount back.

so is 1% extra in fees worth 1 year additional warranty after car dealer warranty expires.

but something to Also keep mind, exchange rate given by master is usually less than money transfer

On 9/30/2018 at 2:02 PM, BestB said:

Depending on the card, points/rewards is not the only thing to consider .

my cards also give an extra 1 year warranty and if lost or stolen full amount back.

so is 1% extra in fees worth 1 year additional warranty after car dealer warranty expires.

but something to Also keep mind, exchange rate given by master is usually less than money transfer

Am I correct in drawing the assumption that your Credit Card is from overseas ? (as you mention exchange rates).

Am also correct in understanding from your post that when purchasing a car in Thailand with your Credit Card you get a 1 year warranty on that car? (Although manufacturers offer a warranty anyway - but thats beside the point).

And, if you lose your car, or its stollen you would get the full amount back? (i.e. insurance but for 100% of the value). 

If so, thats a pretty amazing card... But I find it questionable that the insurance would offer a warranty on your vehicle. 

Or, does your small print suggest something else... such as a defects warranty on electrics etc if not covered by warranty or replacement at the point of sale?

Archived