Pattaya singer in hot water for singing copyrighted song about a security guard

webfact

Pattaya singer in hot water for singing copyrighted song about a security guard

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Police have served a warrant on a Pattaya singer who repeatedly used copyrighted material.

Noppasin Saengsuwan - better know as Num Kala, 36 - had been singing the song "Yam" in Walking Street and other concert venues.

He was repeatedly warned not to until summonses were issued then a warrant for his arrest that was presented to the Grammy Head office in Asoke, Bangkok on Sunday.

Yesterday Num Kala, along with his lawyer, gave himself up to Pattaya station chief Apichai Krobpetch.

He said he had only received one summons and was discussing what to do about the matter. He had 100,000 baht with him if he needed that for bail.

Pol Col Apichai said that the matter could still be resolved without recourse to the courts.

But if no agreement was made on the matter then the singer would have to be bailed in the normal manner.

He faces four charges of using copyrighted material.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News https://news.sanook.com/5655866/

1 hour ago, 007cableguy said:

Don’t the police have proper work that needs doing instead of this BS?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Police are acting on a case raised by a company - they are obligated to follow up on an arrest warrant issued apparently in Bangkok. No-one ever gets to see all the cases they work on but this one was reported in news. Don't see your point.

Police are acting on a case raised by a company - they are obligated to follow up on an arrest warrant issued apparently in Bangkok. No-one ever gets to see all the cases they work on but this one was reported in news. Don't see your point.
My point being there is proper police work to do out enforcing laws that could help educate people to save theirs and other people's life's, Making the idiots wear helmets and making them stop for red lights etc!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tallfarang said:

Maybe someone can help me understand this. He is arrested for basically singing a cover version of a song? That is illegal? Or am i missing something? 

Almost most music is covered by international copyright and if you use it in public in any form you have to pay a royalty to the composer etc....usually some company or association is appointed in countries to collect the money....a very handsome stream of revenue...there is a very small portfolio of music which is Thai composed and not a covered by this agreement and they are savage on collecting royalties... 

• Like 1

I don't know if still in operation but many years ago in Pattaya, bars had to pay 25.000 baht p.a. to play up to date songs especially Thai.

So condemned to listen to the oldies Neil Diamond etc and farang screeching out 'my way'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

I don't know if still in operation but dmany years ago in Pattaya, bars had to pay 25.000 baht p.a. to play up to date songs especially Thai.

So condemned to listen to the oldies Neil Diamond etc and farang screeching out 'my way'

The record shows

I blew my nose

And did it myyyyy waaaaaay!?

54 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

I don't know if still in operation but many years ago in Pattaya, bars had to pay 25.000 baht p.a. to play up to date songs especially Thai.

That's the way in Europe. But here the 25.000 baht p.a. probably never reached the fund of the artists association taking care of copyrights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

So are they saying every time a band does "Hotel California" or "Stairway to Heaven" the artists get a bit of cash? Copyright? Here? Amazing Thailand

Its not only Thailand.....its world wide....Copyright is valid for 60 years...Every place that plays music ie Bars Restaurants even Hairdressers if they play music....usually a bar or restaurant pays an annual fee that covers Djs, Bands etc....Don't know if you have heard of Vera Lynne, a very popular English singer during WW2 and after.....think she is now about 95 and she complains about the 60 year copyright because people are playing her songs and she is getting nothing :)

3 hours ago, 007cableguy said:

My point being there is proper police work to do out enforcing laws that could help educate people to save theirs and other people's life's, Making the idiots wear helmets and making them stop for red lights etc!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Traffic Police and Highway police do what they do and in-station police do what they do irrespective of the degree of competence of each. You are not making any distinction and grouping "police" under one blanket interpretation as well as making a tired point about why do this instead of that when one isolated news story appears.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Apichai said that the matter could still be resolved without recourse to the courts.

But if no agreement was made on the matter then the singer would have to be bailed in the normal manner.

:whistling:

Yes, it could be copyrighted material legal issue, but it is a civil case not criminal.  Police in most countries do not become involved in civil cases.  Cases such as this are usually filed in Civil Court with lawyers for the plaintiff and the defendant presenting their case before a judge or jury.  Unless Thailand's laws allow for criminal prosecution for copyright violations, then it should be investigated by the Prosecutors Office.