Exiting Thailand with child for first time

My wife(Thai) and I are going to the UK for a trip with our son and its his first time leaving the country. He already has his British and Thai passports, the method to do this is that he leaves on his thai passport and enters UK on his british one right?

Is there anything else needed? I have a nagging feeling Ive forgotten something else...

(UK visa and travel insurance for wife already sorted out)

Edited by davejonesbkk

Correct regarding the passports.

1. Check in with the airline at the airport, show both his British & Thai passports, this is to prove that he has the right of entry in to the UK and he is legally in Thailand.

2. Present ONLY his Thai passport to the Thai immigration.

3. Upon arrival in to the UK, present his British passport, if asked then no problem to show his Thai one, but really they will not ask.

4. When coming back to Thailand, reverse the above, except there is no requirement to pass immigration departing the UK, you will need to show his Thai passport at check in.

Personally I cannot think of anything else you would need, perhaps a copy of his Thai birth certificate and your marriage certificate, just in case they ask regarding parentage at immigration, again I doubt they will.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Mattd said:

Correct regarding the passports.

1. Check in with the airline at the airport, show both his British & Thai passports, this is to prove that he has the right of entry in to the UK and he is legally in Thailand.

2. Present ONLY his Thai passport to the Thai immigration.

3. Upon arrival in to the UK, present his British passport, if asked then no problem to show his Thai one, but really they will not ask.

4. When coming back to Thailand, reverse the above, except there is no requirement to pass immigration departing the UK, you will need to show his Thai passport at check in.

Personally I cannot think of anything else you would need, perhaps a copy of his Thai birth certificate and your marriage certificate, just in case they ask regarding parentage at immigration, again I doubt they will.

ok thanks

If you are all traveling together what Mattd says should be fine. 

If if there is a time when only one of you is traveling with the child then you may need a letter from your amphur saying that the other parent knows and allows that travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bsd said:

If you are all traveling together what Mattd says should be fine. 

If if there is a time when only one of you is traveling with the child then you may need a letter from your amphur saying that the other parent knows and allows that travel. 

Written permission letter with a copy of the passport of the child and id or passport of the both parents.

Signed by both parents.  

You have to sing as parent each passport copy on the same page as proof that you have seen the copy.

A document like this you always need to have. Just in case one of the parents can not travel.

And helped me out a few times when this happened.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, Mattd said:

Just a British pasport at check-in should also do it, as Brits to my knowledge can enter Thailand on a 30-day Visa waiver..?

28 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Just a British pasport at check-in should also do it, as Brits to my knowledge can enter Thailand on a 30-day Visa waiver..?

Yes, but the airline would then need a return ticket back to the UK, show the Thai to prove that this is not needed.

• Thanks 1

I done this last November when my daughter was 7 months old. She had both Thai and UK passports. At immigration on leaving BKK we were also asked for her birth certificate. We did not have this but the officer let us proceed but we were told we should have this with us in future. No problems at the UK side.

1 hour ago, PeteM3 said:

I done this last November when my daughter was 7 months old. She had both Thai and UK passports. At immigration on leaving BKK we were also asked for her birth certificate. We did not have this but the officer let us proceed but we were told we should have this with us in future. No problems at the UK side.

Exactly what happened to my wife and myself , birth certificate was in checked luggage , stepped aside for 10 minutes while they did some online check and we were on our way .

On 3/14/2018 at 6:48 PM, PeteM3 said:

I've travelled many times with all of my kids, sometimes alone(no wife).

Never been asked for the Birth Certificate. Passport and ID card are proof. Tell the Imm officer to read the nationality act.

There is a form needed from the amphur when travelling alone, which was signed by the wife, but nev er asked for it. 

I left last month with my Thai born son but has australian passport and all I needed was his original Thai birth certificate to show he was born here and the reason he had no entry to Thailand stamp in his passport.

They did put a stamp in his passport in Thai and when I was in Australia I went to a Thai consulate and asked what the stamp meant and they explained about what I said above.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

left last month with my Thai born son but has australian passport and all I needed was his original Thai birth certificate to show he was born here and the reason he had no entry to Thailand stamp in his passport.

Are you saying all dual citizens need to take their Thai birth certificate when leaving Thailand?

Are you talking about kids leaving on their first ever passport?

I've never been asked for one for my kids. When they've gone abroad themselves, they've never been asked.

8 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Are you saying all dual citizens need to take their Thai birth certificate when leaving Thailand?

His child is not a dual national.

Any child born here that is not Thai has to show their birth certificate when leaving the country the first time since their passport would not have a entry stamp in it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Any child born here that is not Thai has to show their birth certificate when leaving the country the first time since their passport would not have a entry stamp in it.

Thanks, I never noticed that.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct.

He was born in Thailand to a Australian father (me) and a Myanmar mother so his birth certificate actually states "no nationality". Because of that I went through the process of getting his Australian Citizenship by Descent and then his passport.