So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I feel that in Thailand all things should be regulated by traffic lights (not that they are always obeyed) 

I also know several trafficlights where you better not stop when they're red since nobody stops for them. One is if you drive from Ngamwongwan untill Vibhavadee and turn left after the railway crossover.

Another is at Khampaeng phet rd in front of the ortorkor market.

And there are more of them but i don't know the streetnames where they are.

Thailand mine aswel not have them at all. I quickly learned that they mean nothing here. It's dangerous as back in much of our home countries, zebra crossings are strictly known to be for pedestrians, and cars / bikes must stop if there is even a glimpse of a persons walking anywhere near by. 

I've been driving in Thailand countless times where I approach one of these crossings with people waiting to cross. If I stop then people in the other lane won't, and people behind me will probably become angry. It's not something ingrained into this culture yet, so why have them at all? 

Passing there yesterday I noticed that the crossing has now been painted black. Therefore not a zebra anymore.  Racing along today at my usual 75klm an hour, I see about 15 people crossing from the ambassador to the other side, WHERE THERE IS NO CROSSING. How dumb can some people be. No sympathy from me for the next death. 

• Like 1

Come on people, we know why Thailand cannot get its act together -- it's a corrupt system where police do not make money by enforcing the law for the benefit of society, but where their primary interest is in shaking down people for minor infractions so they can pay their way up in the system, like the mafia.  No amount of zebra crossings are going to do anything if people are not given fines for crossing them without stopping, and this is never going to happen in my lifetime from what I can tell.  And if they are in places where people cannot stop for them, then they should be removed.  It would be better to put signs up by the crossings "warning:  traffic does not slow or stop for pedestrians.  cross walk is purely decorative."  

Edited by wealthychef

Im really getting tired of excuses being placed in 'news reports'.

This time it is , "Poorly marked"  ... but if not  it  would  probably have read  , "wet conditions"  or , "brake failure " or  "a misunderstanding".

As a matter of fact , Im going with "misunderstanding" every time from now on.

Drivers here all seem to misunderstand that there is more than just themselves on the road , and  that  hitting pedestrians anywhere  could result in  that persons death...

Just today I stopped at a zebra crossing and ushered a couple across ... they looked dumbfounded! The d/h behind me blasted his horn and the other drivers to the left of me just didn't bother stopping. I wonder of anyone took a picture of me doing my good deed for the day?

• Like 1

I drove past this poor fellow’s body, partially covered by a sheet. The motorbike was on the road some 40m+ past him. They must have had some speed on. Crossing now painted out as has been mentioned, but why the overpass bridge was put where it is is beyond me. Few people are bothered to walk down to use it, then back up to where they want to be, opposite the Ambassador. A new bridge or underpass would be the only solution, otherwise it is just a matter of time before more die here. I felt quite affected for the rest of the day, v sad.

Zebra crossings only work if the road users have some idea of their purpose.The poor guy was hit by a motorcyclist who would have had zero training on the rules of the road and probably has never heard of the concept of a place for pedestrians to cross.

Don't trust the pedestrian lights in Pattaya and Jomtien either.

Today was the first time I saw any vehicles stop for those on Pattaya Beach.

In Jomtien a car blew its horn at me while I was in the crossing and the light was red.

Always look both ways.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Your right they are deadly here in Thailand. That video shows how wrong it can go. Absolutely shocking. As a car driver here I don't always know what to do. If you stop for a Zebra crossing people behind you honk the horn and on the sides they still pass you.

I feel that in Thailand all things should be regulated by traffic lights (not that they are always obeyed) 

Though in the Netherlands had my bad experience too. I was used to Hoorn (smaller town) that cars always stopped for them (you could enter them without looking a lot). Then I went to study in Amsterdam and foolishly thought it was the same. I was lucky my friends pulled me back or I would have been hit by a car. In Amsterdam they don't always mean that much (at least back when I studied there). But of course they meant a lot more then in Thailand. 

GO to the UK and see how zebra crossings work......there are very few ...possibly NO deaths when people use them....WE ARE EDUCATED IN WHO HAS THE RIGHT ON SUCH !!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

There is an overhead pedestrian bridge 135 meters from this zebra crossing 

Yes, and hardly anyone uses it as it is too far, lazy b'stards would rather play Russian Roulette and run for it.  I pass this crossing twice daily and every time I hold my breath.  Most of the pedestrians are Russian and expect it to be treated as a crossing (no idea what the situation in Russia is) and the issue is this - if I happen to be in the fast lane and stop for pedestrians I might get whacked in the arse by some Turdsak pick-up nut-job behind me - if I do stop and the pedestrians cross they might get mowed down by the minibus nutters haring up the inside.  Vice-versa if travelling in the 'slow' lane.

Thais do not know what any of the road markings are for.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

In Thailand, Zebra crossing is NOT a pedestrian rights, it's a privilege, what is perceived in

other countries to be a safe place to cross where vehicles respect the laws and your rights

as a pedestrian, in this country they're completely ignored, theses road's laws are the reasons

why Thailand suffers thousands of ingured and dead every year, no respect to the trafic

laws and regulations......

In a lot of countries, a zebra crossing simply means it's legal to cross there, but doesn't mean pedestrians have the right of way.

7 hours ago, Orac said:

Only in Thailand would you get a zebra crossing on a fast moving dual carriageway with no accompanying traffic lights.

You would think that with all the billions of baht that The Ambassador Jomtien has taken from paying, Russian guests over the years, they could build proper, covered overpasses with escalators? Even better, a pedestrian tunnel? Now that there's a whole village of shops, markets and restaurants either side of the highway catering directly to these visitors, those businesses could also contribute to the safety of their bread & butter.

Where's the "not a snowball's chance in hell" emoji when you need it?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

It is not known if the campaign is being rolled out nationwide.

Don't do it nationide....we like the thrilling adventure crossing the zebra.......it will be boring if there is a campaign nationwide....

2 hours ago, rtco said:

Just today I stopped at a zebra crossing and ushered a couple across ... they looked dumbfounded! The d/h behind me blasted his horn and the other drivers to the left of me just didn't bother stopping. I wonder of anyone took a picture of me doing my good deed for the day?

You really shouldn't be ushering pedestrians across the road anywhere in the world, especially if

there is traffic moving either side of you.

You may be aware of the people crossing the road but you have no idea whether other drivers have seen them.