Stopped By Police In Thailand? What You Should Do.

webfact

I just comply with their requests to stop and show licence etc. In the car, I wind the window down before I reach a checkpoint. I've been fined twice justifiably without paperwork, and once unjustifiably with paperwork because I refused to pay on the spot. The police may be more predatory in the Bangkok area; however, I can't say they have been too much bother in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area.

I never have problems about the police in Chiangmai.

But I only meet them in the traffic in Chiangmai. They are very friendly. They want to talk with me about everything.

Once I have too pay 200 bath because I dont secure the belt on me - in the car. Thats OK. In Sweden it would have cost me 5000 bath.

I stay her for about 5 years in CNX. And got check ups about 20 times by the police.

I always hope they check me so I can practice my thai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And the more falangs who just pay up will simply encourage the bent cops to carry on with their scams.

That's true too but it is not just the farangs, the Thai people are also paying up money into the pockets of these corrupt police/criminals (not really police).  

It then comes down to the individual to make a decision to make a stand but if you decide to do this you need to make sure you have witnesses about, are on a well lit (at night) and populated street, have video camera evidence (I just hooked up a camera today to help deter corrupt police - but then again they could always take the camera and wipe the memory card). I was stopped on a hill with only the aggressive senior cop who was insinuating making things difficult for me.  I had no witnesses.  He has a radio, a gun and other police to fabricate and corroborate details.  What do I do?  Fly into a rage and express my absolute disgust at his criminal actions?  How is he going to take this?  Then if I went somewhere to complain my life will be in danger.  Homicides occur here frequently - and written off as suicides with no proper crime scene preservation and proper investigations (unless perhaps if it was a high profile incident).  I don't want to be looking over my shoulder here waiting to be run down by an unregistered pickup or knocked off my bike, shot, pushed off a balcony etc.  You've got to be realistic.  This is a very corrupt country and we have the lowest of the lowest of rights.  Best to bite your tongue and pay.  Try to mitigate it from happening too often but move on. 

Edited by aussienam
typo

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If they stopped me and I knew I had done nothing wrong, no way would they get even a satang, I would demand we go to the police station and get it sorted out.

Get it sorted out!  It's my word against theirs.  It's a lose lose.  No witnesses on my side.  I am all alone on a quiet street at night.  Most likely no CCTV I can backtrack on and even then the store owners won't help.  Getting it 'sorted' just means standing in a queue to pay and get you licence back!  Ok the cop at the scene doesn't get the money into his pocket but you've been inconvenienced for a few hours late at night!  And I was coming back from hospital with a medical condition so not conducive to that!

4 hours ago, WHYWHY said:

Nope I'm having Camera's in Car and also one on me with tape recorder 

Cars and motorbikes - if you own one get them fitted with video cameras - front and rear facing with audio recording.  Have a mobile phone with video camera handy if possible at vehicle stop area. There are also plenty of body cams, mini cameras fitted to other things that you can buy and use to protect yourself at least if things go awry.  From what I have read in forums, the crooked cops don't like cameras and you may well be waved on.  Thai drivers seems obsessed with cameras and I can understand why now.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Get it sorted out!  It's my word against theirs.  It's a lose lose.  No witnesses on my side.  I am all alone on a quiet street at night.  Most likely no CCTV I can backtrack on and even then the store owners won't help.  Getting it 'sorted' just means standing in a queue to pay and get you licence back!  Ok the cop at the scene doesn't get the money into his pocket but you've been inconvenienced for a few hours late at night!  And I was coming back from hospital with a medical condition so not conducive to that!

When I made this statement, I was not thinking about driving licenses, I was really referring to being stopped in the street, in that case I would refuse any piss tests, and demand we go to the police station, but only on foot. I never drive or ride after dark so I haven't thought much about it. I do see your point though.

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Errr- so the fact he is actually breaking the law himself by not having a Thai driving licence given the time he has been here sits well with you does it?

I have a Thai driving licence, have no wife and speak no Thai. I have never had a problem at checkpoints.

I don't know the guy, or his living situation here.  I'm not defending him, just the snotty attitude of apologists annoys me. 

I actually found the OP to be an interesting read ... but I have to wonder why a US Attorney is co-credited with writing it ? He'll be really useful to an expat being shafted at a roadblock somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere.

Wonder if he's ever been to LOS ?

On a lighter note. My wife ernestly advised me long time ago "you no speakee Thai at roadblocks .... farang too smart no good" 5555

I have to say, her advice works pretty well. Cops can't be bothered trying too hard to get their message over in broken English. Get waved through with a smile.

Edited by electric
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, recycler said:

Act like you are a total moron and don't understand anything at all saying hu, hu, hu...

You are wasting their time while they see all the easier money passing by, success in many cases when they say go go

Absolutely stellar ?

2 hours ago, recycler said:

Act like you are a total moron and don't understand anything at all saying hu, hu, hu...

You are wasting their time while they see all the easier money passing by, success in many cases when they say go go

Or, just say you are a regular TVF participant.  

Sorry, could not resist:):).

• Haha 1

It happened to me while on my motorcycle in Bangkok and I asked the policeman to direct me to the nearest police station where I could pay my fine.  After telling him this 3-4 times,  he let me go because he knew that I hadn't broken any law. :smile:

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 10:36 AM, utalkin2me said:

Put on your best “I don’t know <deleted> you are talking about face”, and let the wife talk until they finally get sick of you and wanna get to their incoming customers. 

Ive had this work twice now in issan checkpoints where they wanted to ticket me. No kidding. They just get fed up if you keep talking. 

Not always, I had a cop stop me on the elevated highway near Don Mueang airport.  He insisted I was speeding and kept showing me a picture of a black car, when I have a Silver truck. He wasn't hearing that it wasnt me. I tired to speak to him, my wife tried to speak to him, he would just walk away and then come back waiting me out. I finally gave him the 100B, my wife pissed at me the rest of the day.   
Issan I think is easier, most of the time I get waved through.  

12 hours ago, William T said:

Actually the first thing you must do is show them your laminated Passport card and photocopy  of your current visa.

Oh, you dont carry them,  ok off to the Police Station and phone a friend to get into your room and bring your Passport. Too bad if it is in the safe.

As if any of them was able to understand what is a visa...

4 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

Behave like you do in your home country.
Be polite.

We cannot behave like in our home countries where there actually is a rule of law.

We need to adapt to local realities and understand Thai logic.

Edited by lkv

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So whats your point ??

You say you have never paid one baht.  Yet, you admit to paying when you did something wrong?

According to most everyone, you are still contributing to corruption.  You just pick and choose when...

Where did I say I paid?? Take your beer goggles off or head to spec savers.i said if I was stopped and did something wrong like speeding etc I would gladly pay. Who is everyone?? Pick and choose when???

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Errr- so the fact he is actually breaking the law himself by not having a Thai driving licence given the time he has been here sits well with you does it?

I have a Thai driving licence, have no wife and speak no Thai. I have never had a problem at checkpoints.

I am not breaking the law by driving with an international licence? It is a 5 year licence accepted by the UN. I did my homework by enquiringly at the police station all ok. Many of my expat friends drive on this type of licence and we have never had a problem. Yes it sets well with me

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

Not always, I had a cop stop me on the elevated highway near Don Mueang airport.  He insisted I was speeding and kept showing me a picture of a black car, when I have a Silver truck. He wasn't hearing that it wasnt me. I tired to speak to him, my wife tried to speak to him, he would just walk away and then come back waiting me out. I finally gave him the 100B, my wife pissed at me the rest of the day.   

Well sure I thought we just barely got out of ours. I remember the second one we kept talking and their were cars piling up at their “radar scam checkpoint” and he finally just let us go because there was faster money to be made elsewhere lol

2 hours ago, maccastime said:

I am not breaking the law by driving with an international licence? It is a 5 year licence accepted by the UN. I did my homework by enquiringly at the police station all ok. Many of my expat friends drive on this type of licence and we have never had a problem. Yes it sets well with me

https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Blog/November-2016/What-is-the-difference-between-an-International-Dr.aspx

The distinction between and IDP and an IDL is not always clear. Therefore, please be aware that an International Driving Licence is NOT the same thing as an IDP. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document. In fact it is probably easiest to say that an International Driving Licence does not really exist. The term is often misused when referring to an International Driving Permit.  

Edited by wgdanson
  • Thanks 1

Around 1979 my wife and I were on a night bus from Loei to BKK.  They had checkpoints enroute and all the males had to get off the bus.  The cops or Army (back then?) asked to search the farang's luggage.  I had a big knife in my bag that I bought up-country.  They had an issue with that. Fortunately I spoke Thai somewhat and was working with the US Govt. and had an ID. My wife was on the bus and we shared the bag. She didn't own up to knowing me, just pointed to the bag.  I'd love to know what the cops thought about a farang with ladie's underwear in his bag.  The stewardess on the bus was pissed, as they apparently told people with weapons to check them in when they got on.  My bad.

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

Is that the highway the that Thailand never paid a German construction company for building?

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, rkidlad said:

Yes. He was alone. Police should never pull people over and search them when alone: you get this whole ‘my word vs your word’ scenario. It’s why police ask another officer to be present for a search. Can you see how that would make sense? Can you? 

Also, what’s the point in pulling me over and patting my pockets? Why not ask me to empty my pockets? Why not pat my back pockets, check my ankles, etc. What good does it serve patting a man’s jean pockets to discover, “Well, he has something in there. Probably just a phone and wallet”. Shocking! 

If you’re gonna search someone, at least do it properly. What’s the point in pulling someone just to establish they have something in there pockets but then not care what it is. It’s a waste of everyone’s time. 

Well done, Just Weird. Another ill thought about reply and question. 

Not as ill-thought out as your previous one that I was responding to, or this one! 

You haven't explained how this pat down and immediate release with no issues at all qualifies as his being "up to no good".  If he was so obviously up to no good what did he do?  Did he ask you for anything, did he suggest something was about to happen to you if you didn't comply with his demands, did he detain you, did he threaten you? 

Did he do anything apart from pat you down and let you go immediately when he found nothing untoward?  No, he didn't. 

It seems like you're complaining because you didn't get a full search and he was on his own, a circumstance that had no ill-effect on you at all.  Now that is weird.

Edited by Just Weird

5 hours ago, maccastime said:

You and your friends must be Nobel prices. Just wait for an expensive accident and understand that insurance won't cover you if you are living here and drive with a BS international license.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not as ill-thought out as your previous one that I was responding to, or this one! 

You haven't explained how this pat down and immediate release with no issues at all qualifies as his being "up to no good".  If he was so obviously up to no good what did he do?  Did he ask you for anything, did he suggest something was about to happen to you if you didn't comply with his demands, did he detain you, did he threaten you? 

Did he do anything apart from pat you down and let you go immediately when he found nothing untoward?  No, he didn't. 

It seems like you're complaining because you didn't get a full search and he was on his own, a circumstance that had no ill-effect on you at all.  Now that is weird.

I’ve explained it all. In great detail. Learn how to read and connect the dots. 

• Haha 1