retirement visa expired while out of country

He could apply for a non immigrant O-A visa in UK (requires financials/medical/police report);

or if old enough a single entry non immigrant O visa believe is available in UK with financials and then start extensions again after first 60 days back in Thailand.

He could also obtain a tourist visa or use visa exempt without any documents and then convert to non immigrant O in Thailand for purpose of retirement showing financials then/and then extending as if enter on a single entry non immigrant O.  These would likely require on onward throw-away ticket to board aircraft.  

Not very clear, but if your "multiple entry stamps from Jomtien for a year" is in fact a Multiple-Reentry stamp, and if it's still valid (same date as your authorisation of stay, and in the future) then it's not a problem that the Visa has expired.

As said above if he is not talking about his extension having expired and indeed has valid re-entry stamp (they only valid for the permitted to stay time when obtained) entry and stay can be made using that stamp for the original stay period - they are not issued for a year but for the original time of stay allowed.  Was he actually allowed to stay longer than now before he departed?

Am in agreement with your post - yes expect it is a multi re-entry permit but it is almost never exactly a year so not sure OP knows if valid or not - unfortunately many posters call extensions of stay visas making it even harder to be sure how to answer.  

• Like 1

Just now, bert bloggs said:

Yes its a multiple re entry visa , the one that i think costs 3900 baht . and is valid for anothe 10 months or so

Unless he has been been making border runs every 90 days he does not have a multiple entry non-o visa he applied for at the embassy in London.

I think he had an an extension of stay based upon retirement he applied for at immigration here and had a multiple re-entry permit he paid 3800 baht that expired when his extension did.

He will have to start all over again to apply for a new extension here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes its a multiple re entry visa , the one that i think costs 3900 baht . and is valid for anothe 10 months or so

There is no such thing.

A 12 month extension costs 1,900 baht.

A Multiple Re Entry Permit costs 3,800 Baht.

Edited by Phuket Man

2 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

There is no such thing.

A 12 month extension costs 1,900 baht.

A Multiple Re Entry Permit costs 3,800 Baht.

Sorry i am a bit dim today , he has lived here for years ,on a retirement visa,800k in a thai bank etc , when he went over to the uk he got a multiple re entry permit (i have only ever got a single entry for holidays)  now he sees he has been away to long ,and his 1 year has expired , what must he do in the UK to be allowed back?ooofor his retirement visa again

Edited by bert bloggs

Just now, bert bloggs said:

Sorry i am a bit dim today , he has lived here for years ,on a retirement visa,800k in a thai bank etc , when he went over to the uk he got a multiple re entry permit (i have only ever got a single entry for holidays)  now he sees he has been away to long ,and his 1 year has expired , what must he do in the UK to be allowed back?ooofor his retirement visa again

I think the answer is in this post.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

He could apply for a non immigrant O-A visa in UK (requires financials/medical/police report);

or if old enough a single entry non immigrant O visa believe is available in UK with financials and then start extensions again after first 60 days back in Thailand.

He could also obtain a tourist visa or use visa exempt without any documents and then convert to non immigrant O in Thailand for purpose of retirement showing financials then/and then extending as if enter on a single entry non immigrant O.  These would likely require on onward throw-away ticket to board aircraft.  

If he is 65 or over and drawing a state pension he can get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in London.

If not he could get a single entry tourist visa and change to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) visa at immigration. Or he could do it with a 30 day visa exempt entry but would have to do it within 15 days of arrival or apply for the 30 day extension to meet the 15 days remaining of his entry requirement. 

• Like 1

Exactly the same happened to me.

Here is the accurate information (because I just did it)

1.  Come back to Thailand on a 60 day tourist Visa

2.  Go to immigration (with at least 15 days of Tourist Visa remaining) and tell them you want to change to Non Imm. O Visa (they will tell you the paperwork you need) this takes a couple of weeks to process

3.  Give them the paperwork and pay 2,000 baht.  they will tell you when to return to immigration (around 15 days)

4.  Go back to immigration and they stamp your passport with Non Imm O Visa which lasts for 90 more days

5.  After 60 days (of the 90 days) go back with TM47 to get your yearly visa.

Bit of a pain, but not hard.

Do not need medical forms in Thailand, but you do in the UK.

Basically its the same paperwork you needed when you originally did it.

If you prove income by letter from Embassy, you will also need to get that letter stamped in Bkk by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

All of the above is true for Hua Hin

Probably different in other areas.

Well, what do you expect, this is Thailand.  ha ha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Here is the accurate information (because I just did it)

It's one way of doing it, but no more accurate than the other suggestions above..

Come back to Thailand on a 60 day tourist Visa

Or, depending on his situation, he could get a non-imm O or non-imm O-A and avoid the need to do the conversion at immigrations.

If he obtained a non-imm O-A he could, with proper timing, stay for nearly two years without needing to do the conversion or apply for an extension of stay.

Alternatively, he could also return using a visa exempt entry and do the conversion to a non-imm O entry at immigrations.

go back with TM47 to get your yearly visa.

He would get an extension of his permission to stay, not a visa. The difference is important since , without a valid visa,  he would need to have a re-entry permit if he wanted to travel out of Thailand and back.

Edited by Suradit69

If he is returning to Jomtien, forget the conversion - that office's conversion desk is a nightmare.  If a conversion is the preferred option, better to "live" in Bangkok during the conversion process, then "move" to Jomtien. 

If possible, get one of the Non-O options from the UK before returning to Thailand, then he can just apply for a 1-year extension - same as he always did before (funds in the bank, etc).

On 3/15/2018 at 6:24 PM, bert bloggs said:

Something not quite right, re entry permits are only granted till end of extension so if re entry still valid then extension should still be valid.

Should recheck the dates concerned.