We love you Big Joke! Chinese tourists say it with smiles as crime buster swoops on taxis/illegal guides

snoop1130

We love you Big Joke! Chinese tourists say it with smiles as crime buster swoops on taxis/illegal guides

1.JPEG

Crime buster Surachet Hakpal has turned his attention away from "dark skinned" romance scammers to Thai taxi drivers refusing fares and illegal guides ripping off tourists.

Yesterday the deputy commissioner of the tourist police bureau was in the area of the Grand Palace ensuring tourists of their safety in Thailand and gaining their confidence.

A large crowd of Chinese tourists were all agreed that the police major general - known as Big Joke in the Thai media - was on their side.

Surachet presided over the arrest of two dozen taxi drivers for refusing fares, extorting passengers, not using the meter, being improperly dressed and stopping in non-designated areas.

2.JPEG

He also found ten guides ripping off the public and six without licences.

He made an example of one - a Burmese called Lee Chuan Yian, 28 - who he said was taking a Thai's job. The job of guide is reserved for Thai people, said Surachet. 

Lee had fake ID and had entered the country illegally. 

Surachet has been tasked with clearing up call center gangs, mostly African and Indian scammers and now seems to be turning his attention to matters more closely related to tourism. 

Source: https://mgronline.com/crime/detail/9610000026033

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-3-15
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thian said:

Did he also arrest that guy who opens taxidoors to tell the tourists that the grand palace is closed for some hours?? After that he brings them to the longtailboats for an overpriced ride on the river. He looks very official and has loads of medals.

Did you report him?

• Like 2

Seems someone found out how to play the media; adopt an easy-to-remember name, focus on low-hanging fruit, get a pic taken for the media, and keep going for small battles instead of winning the war.

While i like it there is finally someone doing something, his approach will not make much of a difference.

I rather see a high-up police guy announce he will take personal responsibility for one tiny thing, for example taxis at the airport, taxis around siam center, scammer around grand palace, wrongly parking in street xx. Next he will move in to arrest wrongdoers and keep doing that week in week out. Media can keep track on how its going and report when things head the wrong way again. 

This approach will solve only one issue in one spot, but at least it wont return as soon as he turns his back. 

All you need is a large group of high-up police guys all getting a small kingdom.

Guess the RTP has enough people, they only will be lacking people willing to take responsibility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes sir, i reported him at the servicedesk in the grand palace and suddenly the girl behind the counter couldn't speak english anymore....serious.

And when we came out of the palace (we didn't take that longtailboat trip cause it was very expensive so we walked back to the palace which was just open all day so he lied to us) i saw him again, he just opened another taxi to tell them the palace was closed.

I wanted to tell him my thoughts but my wife stopped me but me and my father would have loved to tell him the truth....dutch style (which means without being polite). My wife said he is a gangmember from the maffia and he's doing that for many years.

you could just tell him that he is a lying thieving cheating M##########R and end with krab, to make it polite thai style to please the wife! logisch toch!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zzidenn said:

so one of the poor guys was burmese and “stealing” the job from a thai....

cuz obviously its always the burmese

There were no "farangs" and dogs, so ... the next in line is ... "those Burmese" (who are usually employed by a Thai and incidentally help keep the cost of houses down --usually-- for Thais). Is this allowed in Buddhism?

We have to keep those cultural narratives going! 

Nice photo-op, but we need systematic enforcement. But, if they do, from where is the mianoy money going to come?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Sherif Joe from America and he should compare notes. I think they would get on well together.

I saw Sheriff Joe A. recently in an irellevant interview. He seems to have lost his mind. (seriously) Talked a lot of jibberish and obnoxiously offending. Interview was cut short.

Yes!  They'd make a good team!  555                Big Joke sounds more like, "Big Propaganda".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes sir, i reported him at the servicedesk in the grand palace and suddenly the girl behind the counter couldn't speak english anymore....serious.

And when we came out of the palace (we didn't take that longtailboat trip cause it was very expensive so we walked back to the palace which was just open all day so he lied to us) i saw him again, he just opened another taxi to tell them the palace was closed.

I wanted to tell him my thoughts but my wife stopped me but me and my father would have loved to tell him the truth....dutch style (which means without being polite). My wife said he is a gangmember from the maffia and he's doing that for many years.

I wonder if that girl were the sister of our village manager. Here, some of them have a 24th pair of chromosome -LE chromosome.

Footnote:- LE Chromosome programs the organism to lie in the most eloquent way that puts Pinocchio to shame

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Good luck with that, he was there the first time I went to the Grand Palace in 1898.

• Haha 2

So now we have bus loads of Chinese tourists with an extra sightseeing opportunity to enjoy

“ah, next stop you see comedy show big joke. Good laugh. Make Han signs. Wave hello bye bye. big joke funny show. Only extra 700baht for photo!”

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I thought "Dutch style" meant splitting the check. Live and learn. 

Damn............I thought it meant sticking your finger in a "dyke"!  

A little lateral thinking humour. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

The Thai authorities care not one iota for the welfare of tourists, nor the welfare of their own lower and middle classes. Not one iota. Especially Little P. and Prawit the nitwit. They send guys like Big Joke out there, to try and deflect, and appear as if they are doing something. In reality, what is this one guy accomplishing? Getting rid of some of the evil dark skinned scammers? Good work. They will be replaced in a nanosecond.

Coherent policy is what is needed, and then enforcement of that policy, and follow up. Something this administration has never been very good at. 

Little P. - leading Thailand backwards, at a breath taking, alarming, and astonishing pace. Not making Thailand great again. 

• Like 2