Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

This will not change sitting next to an obese person, or sitting between two obese persons....:coffee1:

Maybe it will. They might eventually have seating groups and seat sizes for Gargantuan Class, Corpulent Class, Portly Class, Medium Weight Class and Skinny Class. You might end up among people of your own kind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

And then Thai airways wonders why it is loosing money... Now I now at least one airline company that will never ever fly direct on the United States of America!

I understand that Thai airways likes to exude Thainess, but this is ridiculous. The days are long gone when Thai people were small, skinny and nimble, especially the ones that can afford a western diet.

And if the above picture displays a -very small looking- business class seat, I shudder to think what it will look like in coach....

Losing

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

I had to sit at an angle, leaning out into the aisle, all the way from Narita, Japan to Rochester, NY once because of the girth of the guy next to me caused him to overlap both arm rests.  A nice guy but there just wasn't enough room for his bulk in one seat.  Of course there wasn't a spare seat anywhere in the plane.

I firmly believe the airlines should make it clear that wide load passengers must buy two seats so they have room to spread out.  If they arrive without having two seats reserved then they should have to buy a second seat at a premium price or go on standby for the next available flight with enough room for them.

Agree.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

And then Thai airways wonders why it is loosing money... Now I now at least one airline company that will never ever fly direct on the United States of America!

I understand that Thai airways likes to exude Thainess, but this is ridiculous. The days are long gone when Thai people were small, skinny and nimble, especially the ones that can afford a western diet.

And if the above picture displays a -very small looking- business class seat, I shudder to think what it will look like in coach....

He explained that the business class seats have been installed with new safety belts and airbag system by the manufacturer in accordance with the safety standards of the US Federal Aviation Administration.

^^ Did you miss the above sentence?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Thian said:

Complaining to the airline helps against obese persons.

On my flight Dubai BKK in Emirates i had the pleasure to have the belly of my neighbour on my arm for 6 hours...i asked for another chair but the plane was full.

It was disgusting and i won't fly with emirates anymore. They should ban fat people who don't fit in the chair.

Or simply have chairs in the plane who can fit for fat people. Don't need to be a genius to understand ( and do ) that. After all, they want our money and i fat people money is as good as ours.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bagheera65 said:

It already has a cost to be obese ( and i'm not talking here about a financial cost ), so they don't need one more which discriminate them.

and particularly on flights leaving Europe I have every item of luggage weighed.  Someone with a 40 inch waist is already carrying more weight than I have to pay an additional 300 bhat or so for.  Too right, if you overeat and you become a fat arse, then you should be charged for it.  If you happen to be a body builder or strongman who eats more calories to put on muscle mass you should pay for that too.

lets go for price of passenger per kg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having travelled Business Class in a 787 Dreamliner, I would recommend avoiding the godammed awful contraptions at any price. I flew Oman Air, Bangkok to Muscat and I was amazed to think that anyone could think this was an acceptable aircraft to fly passengers in! The noise levels were simply unbelievable; so much so that I couldn't sleep. The seating, even in Business class was horrendously uncomfortable and the design and ergonomics of the Business class environment was simply appalling; tacky, tasteless plastic. The onward leg of the journey, from Muscat to London, was in a Airbus A333 (A330-300) and the Busines class environment in that aircraft was much quieter, much more comfortable and the environment far better designed than in the 787. On another occasion, on a direct Thai Airways Airbus A380 flight from London to Bangkok, I was in "cattle truck class", aft of the engines but, in stark contrast to the 787 Dreamliner, even on the take-off run, the noise of the engines was barely audible and the aircon, the major source of noise on the 787, was whisper quiet. 

These days I will change airlines and even pay slightly more to avoid the "787 Nightmareliner" unless the flight is pretty short.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

Not a bad idea.  We have to pay extra money on over weight luggage at an extortionate fee yet really overweight people pay the same as light people. Fat people cause discomfort to their fellow passenger as they traverse the aisle and when flow, speed and perspire.  Any body who is obese should be made to buy to seats. 

NO! Airlines should have special seats in which obese people can fit. That's how it should work. and it's easy to do. Instead to have three seats in the very last row they just put two larger ones. Or even better they put the Xlarge seats in the first row of economy class to avoid obese people to have to go down the aisle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, manchega said:

and particularly on flights leaving Europe I have every item of luggage weighed.  Someone with a 40 inch waist is already carrying more weight than I have to pay an additional 300 bhat or so for.  Too right, if you overeat and you become a fat arse, then you should be charged for it.  If you happen to be a body builder or strongman who eats more calories to put on muscle mass you should pay for that too.

lets go for price of passenger per kg

This is madness. What about "let's make a little bit less benefit and make everybody happy whatever their weight is"?

Edited by bagheera65
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have flown on the Thai 787 in both economy and business, and to be honest, if I had a waist measurement of 56" or more, not being accepted for travel in Thai business class would be the least of my worries. Actually, it would be worse in economy, where the leg room is OK, but the seats are pretty narrow (think about the same width as on a 737).  In fairness to Thai, when they have had obese passengers in economy, I've seen them rearrange seating (on a 777 with wider seats) so that the person booked in the adjoining seat can be moved somewhere else on the plane. 

But sitting in economy next to a person with a waist of 56" or more on the dreamliner ... my idea of a nightmare. 

Edited by dundas

2 hours ago, Bullie said:

Yes Some obese people will pay for the Business class seat so they don't disturb others, but this is just poor planning and ineptitude by Thai Airways. And anyway.. aren't business class seats supposed to be large, roomy and comfortable? 

34 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Maybe it will. They might eventually have seating groups and seat sizes for Gargantuan Class, Corpulent Class, Portly Class, Medium Weight Class and Skinny Class. You might end up among people of your own kind.

That would be the handsome man class then...

• Haha 2

I don't see why I should have to pay because some people can't keep out of the cookie jar

Extra wide seats for porkers means less seats overall, ultimately meaning that the airline has to up the price to recoup the loss.

By all means provide seats for the pie munchers, but don't expect everyone else to pay

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He explained that the business class seats have been installed with new safety belts and airbag system

Why the need for an airbag on an aircraft.  If the crash is that big, good chance you'll be dead anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Seriously, qualify or disqualify, this will take care of me ever flying with Thai.

Oh for heaven’s sake - read the article - it says that some of our rather larger brethren cannot take a child on their lap.

Of course one might infer you have a 65 inch waist line - so perhaps you will give business class passengers a break. 

3 minutes ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

Why the need for an airbag on an aircraft.  If the crash is that big, good chance you'll be dead anyway. 

I was wondering why there is a need for them in business but not economy.

Is there a different set up in economy?

11 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

Having travelled Business Class in a 787 Dreamliner, I would recommend avoiding the godammed awful contraptions at any price. I flew Oman Air, Bangkok to Muscat and I was amazed to think that anyone could think this was an acceptable aircraft to fly passengers in! The noise levels were simply unbelievable; so much so that I couldn't sleep. The seating, even in Business class was horrendously uncomfortable and the design and ergonomics of the Business class environment was simply appalling; tacky, tasteless plastic. The onward leg of the journey, from Muscat to London, was in a Airbus A333 (A330-300) and the Busines class environment in that aircraft was much quieter, much more comfortable and the environment far better designed than in the 787. On another occasion, on a direct Thai Airways Airbus A380 flight from London to Bangkok, I was in "cattle truck class", aft of the engines but, in stark contrast to the 787 Dreamliner, even on the take-off run, the noise of the engines was barely audible and the aircon, the major source of noise on the 787, was whisper quiet. 

These days I will change airlines and even pay slightly more to avoid the "787 Nightmareliner" unless the flight is pretty short.

I am sort of surprised at your comments regarding noise. Most reports are that the 787 and A380 have the quietest cabin in the air, particularly if you are in the pointy end (business class) and ahead of the air wash over the wings and most of the engine noise. I have spent loads of time on 787s and find them to be very quiet, plus the higher pressurisation and humidity are noticeable benefits on long hauls.

Cabin interiors are decided by the operator and have nothing to do with it being a 787 or an A380 or any other aircraft. I have never flown Oman's business class so cannot comment on it, but they did win the World Travel Awards Best Middle East Business class last year.

https://www.worldtravelawards.com/award-middle-easts-leading-airline-business-class-2017

• Like 2