There is no right or wrong

bwpage3

You made a few good points. I am not want go back and hope at the moment to stay in Thailand till….

But I always told if I would have children I would go back right away because of the education advantages of the children in my Birth-country.

BTW, your bashing is not about people who want leave Thailand, I have more the feeling it is about everything, when someone thinks different. You can find this about "Buying a Condo",  "Dual Prices", "need of a yellow book", ….

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

Been here for over 20 years, when i 1st got here immigration was never a hassle, fees were low, didn't have to do 90 day reporting, and many things have changed for the worse. Paid 35 baht for a kilo of moo etc. The price of food is basically comparable to the U.S. so no saving there.

So now I can get u.s. citizenship for my Thai son,  and get him in a good school in the u.s. 

Tired of all the hassles, and will be leaving in May. Probably will never come back here to live, just visit.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

Think a bit 69. Tis I who posted , Pulling the plug".And my reason for leaving is because of Thais and Thailand. What other possible reason could a person have? They, we, are leaving because we dont want to live in Thailand anymore, where the Thais are.

I think you will find Thais in many countries in this day and age..... where are you moving to? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rojaron said:

Is it really necessary to mention that you would be receiving a high salary in the corporate world?

Why are you writing this whole story?,Do you really think anybody cares about you leaving ?,funny these self important people with high salaries in the corporate world,I'm sure you fit right in.

I think their reality may be much different to the image they project in their posts. After 10 years in Thailand they may find some difficulty in reentering the corporate world on a high salary. 

10 years older and, unless they have remained involved continuously in similar work, the technology would have advanced well beyond their skill levels. 

• Like 1

While my ideas may change as I get older, I like to travel, so I can’t imagine living somewhere permanently for more than 3 to 4 months at a time. Doesn’t matter where I’m from or what I do. Financially I may not be able to, but that’s the life I’d like.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, torrzent said:

Isn't that what you just did? 

I don't think the OP is being jealous or rude, he is only saying things as he sees them. and he does make a fair point right up till he gives his reasons for leaving.

8 hours ago, torrzent said:

Isn't that what you just did? 

I'm not sure too many people get bashed for saying that they're hoping sticks and going home.

Maybe I don't look at the right threads.

Most of the bashing I see here are by people slating Thailand and it's peculiarities. 

Anyway, good luck to you and your family. 

Travelling around Asia for several months now, mainly Thailand. As it is my first trip i decided to try & hook up with some fellow xpats on TV for advice or music interests, but from reading the knee jerk replies here over those months, i realized some are not long out of grade 10 or the same gang mentality. 

Pity really, but i can understand why the laws & regulations in 1st world countries are so restrictive.. Because the majority have to follow in the path of those most challenged to make it work & it appears some of those challenged individuals are often replying here.

As per comments below

i hear crickets all of a sudden..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uffe123 said:

Been here for over 20 years, when i 1st got here immigration was never a hassle, fees were low, didn't have to do 90 day reporting, and many things have changed for the worse. Paid 35 baht for a kilo of moo etc. The price of food is now basically comparable to the U.S. so no saving there.

So now I can get u.s. citizenship for my Thai son,  and get him in a good school in the u.s. 

Tired of all the hassles, and will be leaving in May. Probably will never come back here to live, just visit.

I'm hearing a lot of this from more of my old friends who've been living there over the years. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

1. Cheaper at some point than living in the west  (Cheaper at some point than living in the west. Period.)

2. Warmer climates (Not if you're living in Florida)

3. Easy to find a companion no matter hold old or what you look like  (Condescending comment. What will you do if you divorce your wife? Come back to Thailand and look for another? :whistling:)

4. You have already retired and this is all your pension can afford (Condescending comment. When are you going to get it through your thick head that not everyone who retires here is living on a SS check?)

5. No place to move back to, no education or job skills (More condescending comments.  Assumes everybody is in the job market.  I have a Master's degree, am a lifelong student, can afford to live in any state in the US)

To the people that come and experience living in Thailand and move back home

1. Realize the third world is not for them  (Thailand is not a third world country. It is a developing country. Hello? How many times has this been pointed out to you?)

2. Educational opportunities for children is no comparison

3. Family, friends (Why didn't you include this criteria for people who chose to live in Thailand as well? Or did you mean to say white family and friends?)

4. Modern conveniences of the first world  (Like what? Cable TV, High speed internet? Netflix? Internet banking? Supermarkets with produce from around the world? That's all available to me and I live out in the boonies.)

5. Did not burn any bridges and have the education/skills to make more money  (Bragging alarm starting to ring)

6. Corporate incomes possible with 401k matching, bonus, etc. (Bragging alarm getting louder. You forget that a lot of people over here have done the wage slave, 9-5 monkey, 30 years in the trenches of soul destroying mind numbing corporate ass kissing and they would like to enjoy the fruits of their labor without being interrupted by some smug punk who thinks he's got it a-l-l-l-l-l-l figured out.)

I lived in Thailand for 10 years then returned back to Florida USA, so you can bash me all you want.

For those interested in why?  (This is at least the third time you've started a thread to tell us why. It was interesting the first time. But the third time? Not so much.)

1. Wanted kids to get US education (We get it BW. Schools in the West are generally better than in Thailand.)

2. Had pretty much seen and done everything in Thailand that interested me 100 times over.  (Careful. You or your wife might come to feel the same way about Florida in time.)

3. Tiring of the water and electric going off for no reason, scams, police checkpoints, etc.  (Let's have some balance here: school shootings, hurricanes, bridge collapses. Better a police checkpoint than getting shot for driving while black or Thai, right? Cops here use a hellava lot less deadly force than the cops in FLA, right?)

4. Already happily married so no interest in sitting on a barstool spinning yarn  (Insulting inference that everyone over here whiles away their days sitting on bar stools. Didn't you tell us you spend a lot of time at the local country club? No drinking? No spinning yarns? Seems like you enjoy spinning your fair share of yarns on TVF. :biggrin:)

5. Still at an age could go back to USA and move back into corporate America with high paying salary, benefits, insurance etc.  (Bragging alarm is really becoming deafening)

6. Quality of life is just much, much better for the entire family  (Very subjective criteria.  Different strokes for different folks, like you said BW. For example, is your wife's social life better in Florida than in Thailand?)

Why do I get the impression that you're not all a happy individual ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I like the post and think it’s good  fair information ..... the forum is

a way to learn different ideas keeping an open mind. 

Poster missed one thing ...... Florida and Thailand weather similar 

in the summer. Hot and Muggy! Only visited my parents in winter months of Florida. I was born as fad south as you can go in Florida

• Like 2

Well, the first thing I noticed in the OP was the amount insults thrown wildly at others on the forum.

'It amazes me how many posters get bashed by other posters when they state they want to leave Thailand and return home.'

In the context I see it reasonable to assume that this means 'a lot', 'many', 'more than a few' and so on. As it is the main article on the thread, that lays the responsibility for clarity and accuracy at the OP, bwpage3. Have you researched this through the various threads on TV? Do actually know what the % is? If you haven't and you don't know then you should not have thrown accusations around at all.

As I have written myself on such threads that expats come here for a variety of reasons and those that leave also have a variety of reasons. It is all down to the individual and none of us are the same. I cannot understand why you, bwpage3, want to make an issue of it. Do your research...it's your topic so give it a foundation since you are implying numbers...then base your comments on what you find and what implications you consider are there.

Yes, sometimes forum members are a bit 'hard' with their replies, on others but if it is their opinion this forum gives them the right to say. Freedom of speech eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

Not in my Books he never. I've been telling the whingers on here for many a year Thailand isn't the be and end of it all. The immense crap one has to endure with visas is a real headache besides dodgy medicals that cost an arm and a leg - (That also happens lol). There are many downsides although it is a nice country I must admit. However, getting a women in other countries is just as easy although Thai women would marry a Cyclops for the duration of his funds. Its nice to meet other European women for instance who don't expect you to support her, family as the Hansum cash cow.

Why should one live frugally in order to ensure you have a set amount of funds for all and sundry. Its Pathetic if you ask me. I only come to Thailand 2 months a year now and hump all the girls I fancy then vanish into the distance. Anyway, don't want to get to carried away but think you get the picture........... :passifier:

Yes yes yes.... but...but...but... this is not what the OP was on about... 

“It amazes me how many posters get bashed by other posters when they state they want to leave Thailand and return home.” (OPs opening line)

• Thanks 1

Life is full of choices 

I  retired to Thailand in 2013 and have never looked back

remain positive  not one for sitting in bars but enjoy a drink when out for a meal with the family

Never say Never  as to returning to ones Country of birth as one does not know what the future holds 

• Like 2