Online battle rages: Thanathorn, Sombat broadcast gaming session in apparent cheeky swipe at Prawit

webfact

Online battle rages: Thanathorn, Sombat broadcast gaming session in apparent cheeky swipe at Prawit

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

95547d2c9c128ccb2e42a55b8528199e.jpeg

WHILE SHOWING themselves adept in the political arena lately, party founder Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit and pro-democracy Sombat Boonngamanong demonstrated far less acumen in a match playing the popular mobile game “Realm of Valor”, with the latter eventually proving victorious.

With Thanathorn having launched the much-hyped new progressive party Future Forward and Sombat leading recent protests against the junta, the pair put down their megaphones for a moment to assault each other’s fortresses – although the competitive event might have involved a more covert attack as well.

99fa703014674c0ea3a8db822e81f1b5.jpeg

“Hitting the fortresses”, or tee pom in Thai, was the main theme of the gaming event, which attracted more than 2,000 viewers during a one-hour Facebook Live broadcast. While tee means hit, Pom is the nickname of Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, a senior government figure in the ruling junta who has been hit by a scandal after being seen in possession of dozens of luxury watches.

Whether the pair were mocking the junta leader or not, they used the gaming event not only to wage online war but also discussed the future of the digital industry in the “Thailand 4.0” era.

“The force of the modern game industry is very economically powerful in Thailand. Yet it remains largely underrated,” said Thanathorn, the 39-year-old automobile tycoon whose party launch last week has created a great deal of public enthusiasm. “If there is no adjustment of the fundamental economic structure, what will happen is Thai people will become unemployed and turn into technology slaves,” he said. “But we also have an option of becoming masters of technology.”

f9df054bc9560477ee009dd63edca05a.jpeg

The solution was to build an economy that capitalised on the younger generation’s potential “to take control of the machines, which more and more will replace manpower. They can be programmers or robot coders, for instance.”

The gaming industry could be a good gateway for young people to access technology. With a cautious approach to develop the industry, marketing demand and supply would follow and eventually create a sound ecosystem, he said.

“Game, AI and virtual reality creators will be drawn into this system,” he said. “It may not happen fast but this should gradually turn younger generations to become absorbed with technologies and develop themselves accordingly.”

With more local demand and supply being generated, Thailand would be more self-reliant in terms of technology and generated more added-value domestic industries, he said.

“We have gamers with high potential who have won several international battles,” he added. 

“If we had more local demand, we would be able to make more products. With market platforms and the proper investment of time and knowledge, the young generation will always be able to come up with new creativity.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341281

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-20

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Which directly shows us all that they are only overgrown kids with big plans.

I still play games I am doing alright and have been doing alright all my life. Nothing wrong with gaming a bit (within limits)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

I still play games I am doing alright and have been doing alright all my life. Nothing wrong with gaming a bit (within limits)

No, sure. That´s your opinion. It shall stand for you.
However, I draw the line when they are starting to use playing games against eachother as a part of a comercial trick for something as important as the countries political stability in the future. I don´t think that you tried to see it that way. If you do, then the whole thing get a totally new perspective. 

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

Panem et circensis.

That would be Thai Lakorn, showing the masses how great things used to be when everyone stuck to the proper order, and wore period costumes, and beat back the Burmese horde.

This (story) is a bit more like the newer generation using popular culture to have a go at the older, out of touch Junta? I say string them up for Computer Crimes!

And Junta supremo Pryuth would take issue with panem, I think. Maybe "oryza"?

From his weekly diatribe ~ Oct., 2014...

He talked on the culture and said he would encourage Thai culture  in many ways, and eating rice is one of them.

He said  he would like Thais to prefer rice over bread.

“We should preserve Thai culture of eating rice instead of teaching Thais to eat bread,” Prayut said.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

I think it's good that they enjoy a different media for their dialogue, whether that be real politics or here, on a more fun and mischievous level and giving Pom a much deserved bashing. I get good vibes from both these battlers.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea that is my opinion your entitled to yours. I just don't see a problem with gaming (within limits). I learned a lot of English through gaming when I was young.

So its not ok to use gaming to get votes but its ok to sponsor other events to get votes ? Personally I don't care how they reach their votes. By using gaming they are tapping into the younger generation that just votes for the first time, i don't see it as any different as going to a farmers market to get votes from the farmers.

I think we have to differ here in our opinion. 

Yes, we definately have to differ. I know that much talk has been done trough the year, and politicians always lie to people historically seen.
Anyway, that is the wrong way to do it, and we have to assume that somebody will speak the truth eventually.

After that I can tell you what it is that you don´t see, and the danger connected to that.

When a person goes to farmers to get votes, that is connected to spreading essential information so the farmers get to know more, at the same time it catches their interest.
That is how politicts should be done, and have always been done in democratic countries. There is also a reason why it should stay that way, and be informative and focused meetings with relevant information.

When mobilephones and social media as well as gaming made way for the new generation, what has happened. Crime rate goes up, education goes down and people become unaware of the important things in life. They are locked in their virtual world like unconcentrated zombies. When you then take gaming as a way to tap into the younger generation, you are doing the wrong way. You get a huge group of people voting for you just because they can relate to the fun in gaming. Then what was right about that, and did they wote for the right people and party for the right reasons?

As you clearly can see, there is a big underlying problem with believing that this way is a good way to tap into the younger generation. They are the ones in need of more information about real political things. Play games, they know how to do already.

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yes, we definately have to differ. I know that much talk has been done trough the year, and politicians always lie to people historically seen.
Anyway, that is the wrong way to do it, and we have to assume that somebody will speak the truth eventually.

After that I can tell you what it is that you don´t see, and the danger connected to that.

When a person goes to farmers to get votes, that is connected to spreading essential information so the farmers get to know more, at the same time it catches their interest.
That is how politicts should be done, and have always been done in democratic countries. There is also a reason why it should stay that way, and be informative and focused meetings with relevant information.

When mobilephones and social media as well as gaming made way for the new generation, what has happened. Crime rate goes up, education goes down and people become unaware of the important things in life. They are locked in their virtual world like unconcentrated zombies. When you then take gaming as a way to tap into the younger generation, you are doing the wrong way. You get a huge group of people voting for you just because they can relate to the fun in gaming. Then what was right about that, and did they wote for the right people and party for the right reasons?

As you clearly can see, there is a big underlying problem with believing that this way is a good way to tap into the younger generation. They are the ones in need of more information about real political things. Play games, they know how to do already.

I think you and I really differ about progress. No offence but your father would have told you the same about your generation what your now telling about the younger generation.

I get what your saying that the political message should be spread, but this is not how it works not here not anywhere. I like how you think that it should work (agree that it should work with real arguments and data) unfortunately this is not how it works in Thailand and other countries. 

• Like 1

Just now, Get Real said:

I think you're simply out of touch with the younger generation.