Livestock chief says 80% of rabid dogs and cats never vaccinated before

webfact

By Thai PBS

dog5.jpg

As vaccination campaign continued across the country to fight the deadly rabies disease, the Department of Livestock Development says it will have all 8 million dogs and cats vaccinated this year. He said over 80% of these animals have never been vaccinated before.

Director-general of the department Abhai Suthisang said so far 2 million dogs and cats were vaccinated since rabies outbreak was reported early this year. The target number was 8 millions, he said.

He dismissed speculation that sub standard vaccines was a reason for the spread of rabies in24 provinces and the rise to six deaths this year, assuring all vaccines are in good quality and well stored in nine temperature controlled centres.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/livestock-chief-says-80-rabid-dogs-cats-never-vaccinated/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-21
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

He dismissed speculation that sub standard vaccines was a reason for the spread of rabies

Clearly the reason is that 80% of these animals have never been vaccinated before.

So he will get a pass on the quality of vaccins, but now he can explain why 80% was never vaccinated before.

Pro-tip: if you try to pass the blame, try to pass it to someone else.

15 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Know a lady who runs a vets shop. Her brother works for the government and supplies her with outdated vacines to sell, administer to animals.

there's a few vets I would like to administer a shot tooooooooooo the one that's put them to sleep.

out of date medicine's are very dangerous.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

So he thinks the other 20 % of rabid dogs and cats WERE vaccinated?????????!!!!!!!!!

Yes . . . what a classic! I put this down to a 'lost in translation' reporting error, being from TPBS. I'm sure it's not meant to be taken seriously, word-for-word . . . and it is a Thai official who's allegedly saying this. Or do you think it could be possible that the guy actually believed that these dogs, admitted for vaccination, were rabid? The mind boggles and, to be honest, worries a little, too, since by far the greater rabies risk lies out there, amongst the 60% of dogs, still to be jabbed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He dismissed speculation that sub standard vaccines was a reason for the spread of rabies in24 provinces and the rise to six deaths this year, assuring all vaccines are in good quality and well stored in nine temperature controlled centres.

In that case they have to apologise to Spain.

11 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

Speaking generally I am of the opinion that a large percentage of Thais dislike spending money unless they can  see something for their money.

It can be seen with broken bulbs on motorbikes. They know it's dud but see no advantage in paying for a new bulb. Rabies vaccine is another example.

Thai do everything at the very very last moment, it first has to go wrong or almost wrong.

Last year i got bitten by a dog living in the street behind us...it was ruining my garden and i grabbed it, then it bit me but the owner claimed it was vaccinated.

Today that dog and his friend were in my garden all the time, messing things up. i sprayed water (very hard) but they even seemed to like it...i hit them with a pipe a few times (not hard), chased them home with the motocy 3 times but they are here again now...i give up...if i hurt them i'll be the bad farang but the gate  where they live is very crappy and nobody's home..well let the Thai deal with it, selfish idiots they are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

there's a few vets I would like to administer a shot tooooooooooo the one that's put them to sleep.

out of date medicine's are very dangerous.

Medicines are not like dairy products. They may lose their potency over time but do not go bad. Except for some anti-biotics and insulin.  

Medical authorities state that an expired medicine is safe to take, even those that expired years ago. ... It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date.

It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Harvard Health

Edited by PhonThong
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Medicines are not like dairy products. They may lose their potency over time but do not go bad. Except for some anti-biotics and insulin.  

Medical authorities state that an expired medicine is safe to take, even those that expired years ago. ... It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date.

It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Harvard Health

I agree with you but it's more than just  insulin or antibiotics you shouldn't use past their expiry date, expired Ibuprofen can turn very hepatotoxic and is not safe to use. 

• Like 1