My boss wants to make a bank account for me?

johnray

Thank you for the replies.

Is there such a thing as ''kbank company account''.  I don't get what it is.

Maybe she wants to hide money in the account and avoid taxes or something.  Or blackmail me later on about visa status and so on.

why not take the initiative to find out? Go to the bank and find out.

though your scenario seems highly unlikely. 

personally it seems highly unlikely.

given you work for her she should have copies of your passport already. 

i had an account opened for me by a number of employers, 2 are still active and in use by me today.

4 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

why not take the initiative to find out? Go to the bank and find out.

though your scenario seems highly unlikely. 

personally it seems highly unlikely.

given you work for her she should have copies of your passport already. 

i had an account opened for me by a number of employers, 2 are still active and in use by me today.

So this normal for employer to open bank accounts for staff?

Edited by johnray

6 minutes ago, johnray said:

So this normal for employer to open bank accounts for staff?

in some cases, yes, i dont know the company or the woman so i cant say.

i really cant conceive of why you wouldn't take the time to find out directly.

even a quick google search indicates that K bank has a special payroll account service with certain privileges and benefits including insurance etc.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/salary.aspx

just ask the bank. and ensure you are the sole signatory.

Many company expect to have an account with their home bank. So this is normal.
But as you already wrote you have an KBank account so therefore there is no need to open a new KBank. She should be able to use your existing one.

Because of this some have many Account, because when they change the employer they have to open a new account. But never heared that the company have to open the account. I know that some companies do it for you, but most of I know only tell you which bank they want you to open

10 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Many company expect to have an account with their home bank. So this is normal.
But as you already wrote you have an KBank account so therefore there is no need to open a new KBank. She should be able to use your existing one.

Because of this some have many Account, because when they change the employer they have to open a new account. But never heared that the company have to open the account. I know that some companies do it for you, but most of I know only tell you which bank they want you to open

Perhaps the account needs to be 'based' at the same branch ?

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Perhaps the account needs to be 'based' at the same branch ?

This is possible but I am not sure. But even then it should be possible to open the account by yourself.

And I was under the impression the OP has an account in that particular branch of KBank.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johnray said:

It should be clear that the people responding to your question in this thread are clueless and just guessing.

As HooHaa said:

16 hours ago, HooHaa said:

i really cant conceive of why you wouldn't take the time to find out directly.

Go to the bank and ask them. 

Look for work somewhere else.

Talk to other employees who can read Thai who she alleges have already signed. 

There has to be a better source of enlightenment than people on a forum who have no idea what you or your boss are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HooHaa said:

accompany her to the bank and do the paperwork yourself ensuring that she has no access to the account. 

maintain a minimum balance to the account and transfer all funds out into your current account once received.

make sure there is online banking which will allow you to monitor all transactions any time.

alternatively, have a thai you trust explain the form you are signing or take that form to the branch and have the manager either provide you with an english version or explain to you what exactly the form is intended to achieve.

Excellent plan.

Refusing outright could end the OP in some trouble, warranted or not.

This way avoids her getting control of the money without causing any more unpleasantness.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

43 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

Yep, pretty normal. My company is based in BKK and they opened a K-bank account for me 15 years ago when I started with them. Same for all employees. As stated above it’s easier and cheaper for them to manage payments.

If in doubt, just insist on having a bank book and also open the online banking access. Don’t have any ATM/debit/credit cards etc. Make transfers online to your current account when needed. This is how I manage mine, so I know that nobody can physically withdraw from this account without me being present.

As said my several posters this is normal. All companies look for (and should look for) ways to save even a few baht on a regular basis and ways to gain efficiencies.  

You could check about the application form by going to a K Bank branch and ask if it's the normal form to open a simple savings account. From my memory K Bank has the savings application form in Thai only and also in Thai and English. Get a Th/Eng copy and compare the details to the one the boss is giving you.

Does the company not already have a copy of your passport? Strange to me if then don't.

In any event just photocopy the details page and put two diagonal lines across the photo and write on the photo (don't obliterate the face area so it becomes impossible to use as an ID) and write in small letters on the photo: 'To open K Bk sav. ac at xxx Bch xx/xx/xxxx'.

Many Thais do exactly as above, I , my Thai son and his Thai wife do also. Why because scams abound to use other peoples photo for various illegal things,scams, etc. Same in many countries.

Also, as said, i'ts very easy to open a kCyber internet banking account in your own name and very easy to use, and you can check what movements have taken place in a few seconds. Very convenient to transfer funds to other family members savings accounts (can be any bank/branch in Thailand), pay bills, pay your K Bank credit card, make payments to kids life insurance policies etc).

The main item you need to start KCyber internet banking is a K Bank savings account in your name (your name only, not a joint account, but after it's open you can add K Bank joint accounts).

You can download the application form for KCyber and take it to any K BAnk branch, takes 5 minutes to get it started, can use it the next day. And K Bank call center are very helpful if you need any guidance, help, etc.

Good luck. 

My bet is they just want a bank account for the same bank so they don't have to pay a transfer fee every time they pay you to a different bank?...

I would ask if you could just go to the bank on your own and set up an account and then just give her the account number for the transfer (This way you keep control of your account and your personal information with the bank)...

• Like 2

In Thailand you can't overall the Thai boss.

You just rock the boat, and make yourself unpopular.

Just go with it as long as there isn't a credit facility (which there won't be), and empty it to your personal account the day you get paid.

She's probably come to a 'mates' arrangement with the bank manager.

4 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

In Thailand you can't overall the Thai boss.

You just rock the boat, and make yourself unpopular.

Just go with it as long as there isn't a credit facility (which there won't be), and empty it to your personal account the day you get paid.

She's probably come to a 'mates' arrangement with the bank manager.

"She's probably come to a 'mates' arrangement with the bank manager."

Or perhaps she's doing what any logical and professional business owner would do:

- Take advantage of the benefits offered by most / all Thai banks to get the banking business generated by payroll deposits. (All banks anywhere are always looking for ways to start new savings (any) accounts, to increase the total number of accounts they hold.)

- Reduce transfer fee costs.

- Gain efficiencies by not having to make special banking transfer documents just for you.

Not rocket science. 

And as said, KCyber internet banking is easy to start and gives very quick easy, instant access to checking balances, account movements, as well as fast high convenience to do personal banking transactions. Can be on your PC or notebook or on your smartphone.

• Like 1

Sounds like it has the potential to go very wrong, but you may have to do it.  I'd - as others have said - get K-banking and, every time your wages are paid in, transfer them out, leaving only the minimum to keep the account open.

Firstly though, you NEED to have the form translated - at a minimum have a Thai reader who you know and trust read it.  It's probably kosher, but it could say almost anything, and give your boss almost any rights.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Sounds like it has the potential to go very wrong, but you may have to do it.  I'd - as others have said - get K-banking and, every time your wages are paid in, transfer them out, leaving only the minimum to keep the account open.

Firstly though, you NEED to have the form translated - at a minimum have a Thai reader who you know and trust read it.  It's probably kosher, but it could say almost anything, and give your boss almost any rights.

Or :

- Download the application form from the K Bank website, I know it's available in Thai and English on the same document, and compare it with the Thai only copy you already have. Easy enough.  

- Go into any K Bank branch and ask for the new savings account application form in Thai and in English. If the branch staff say 'It's not available in English' then the branch staff are lying and just lazy. 

Edited by scorecard

33 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Just ensure that you are the sole signature to access

The application form asks 'who can sign'?  Indicate you only. 

Where the application form asks about 'joint account', indicate 'NO', perhaps even neatly cross out that section.

At the bottom of the form give your signature and neatly cross out any spaces for other signatories.

Not difficult.

If the bank officer has already ticked something part way down the application form, this could be the indicator whether or not you want an ATM card. Be careful of this, some bank staff will tick 'YES' before they give you the application form. Why? Because in some banks the bank officer gets a commision on every new ATM card issued. If this happens it's not the 'the bank' doing something tricky, it's the bank staff.

Edited by scorecard

20 hours ago, HampiK said:

This is possible but I am not sure. But even then it should be possible to open the account by yourself.

And I was under the impression the OP has an account in that particular branch of KBank.

Yes be very careful.  If your boss wants you to have an account at a certain bank and at a certain  branch, do it yourself.  Dont let on to them youre doing it or accuse them of anything...it can only be bad for you.

A school I worked for did the same thing.  They said they wanted to change banks and we had to do the same but they brought in staff from the bank without notice and everybody opened an account with the staffs help.  However some time later, and it only happened once to my knowledge, a teacher was leaving and they had somehow overpaid him or wanted to deduct for something.  He just laughed but that day the amount in question was deducted from his a/c without his knowledge.  Those forms were also in Thai and it seems the school made themselves a signatory to the a/c!

22 hours ago, johnray said:

Maybe she wants to hide money in the account and avoid taxes or something.  Or blackmail me later on about visa status and so on.

From experience of other news, they avoid taxes by paying millions of baht in embezzled funds into your account. Then withdraw it to their own accounts. 

When the shit hits the fan, you are the ones that go to jail, whilst she skips the country with the loot. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greenchair said:

From experience of other news, they avoid taxes by paying millions of baht in embezzled funds into your account. Then withdraw it to their own accounts. 

When the shit hits the fan, you are the ones that go to jail, whilst she skips the country with the loot. 

utter bloody nonsense. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, johnray said:

if you want to be robbed and held at ransom. Sign the extortion contract lol. Have you lost you marbles son. Go to the police and immigration police immediately. She is trying to have access to your money. F her job.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:46 AM, johnray said:

I believe the situation is similar to mine. I have a business account with Bangkok Bank. It provides the ability to transfer funds online. For payroll, I transfer funds to my employee accounts. For those with a Bangkok Bank account, the transfer is instantaneous, and costs me nothing. For those employees with accounts at other banks, the transfer takes 24 hours to complete, and costs me 20 baht, and cannot be completed on weekends or holidays. Also, I cannot see those transfers when looking at my account balance, and only see my real balance after the transfers have completed, which is slightly annoying. I think she just wants things to be more convenient and save money.

That said NO WAY do you let that company open your bank account. You do it on your own, as a personal account in your name only, or no dice.

• Like 1