Hypothetical Situation...

bwpage3

4 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

To me your a really cool guy. I hate how these Thai apologists Portray life in Thailand as some Nirvana on a peaceful life like country with beautiful women full of great prosperity. In fact, its a disgrace ........................:passifier:  

Whoa there Neddy...

Thailand can be whatever you want it to be. 

I ain’t rich, and not poor, but I do exactly the same here as I would at my home country.

We have a nice house, go out and eat at decent restaurants, 2 cars, only 1 at home though, even holidaying here is easier, just get in the car, instead of flying for 12 hours.

To me, it’s no different apart from being warmer than the UK...I don’t think the exchange rate will change my mind that much from living here, but if it does nose-dive...adios, but I can’t see that happening.?.  

The UK is hardly paradise itself, I feel more like an outsider there, than here. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Of course. Personally, I think Thai women have the benefit of their Language chatting away to their cohorts in covert mode, unless you wish to learn the Thai Language but by this time they've betrayed you immensely, you the fall guy. Unless, you decide to take some old dog as your Teerak then all is well ..... LOL

That is one of the reason that you learn the local language if you choose to live there. Another good reason is that you can sort out things yourself and not be dependent of your wife/GF for the most simple things.

10 minutes ago, Kimber said:

As for me it's too just too damn convenient to fly there and holiday, rather than submit myself to the whims of a corrupt government and police force.

My feeling exactly. Where I live these idiots just put up a new CTV sign with the posted speed limit of 90k/hour (that's a positive improvement). However a few meters behind the new sign is the old sign stating 50/k hour as the limit (which no one obeys and this is a school zone mind you). So if you go nearly twice the speed limit the CTV will catch you and give you a ticket. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

That is one of the reason that you learn the local language if you choose to live there. Another good reason is that you can sort out things yourself and not be dependent of your wife/GF for the most simple things.

Of course.
However, don't wish to start an elongated debate although I ain't no  Mother Theresa candidate either. Life's a Bitch then you Die ..........:passifier:

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

A rather quaint way to look at it. If you made USD1500 at old rates; that would be what, B54,000 at 36 to 1?  No matter the current USD to THB rate, you are still making B54,000, are you not?

There's no shortage of Condos for sale in LoS, selling one as an "investment"are you ? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Whoa there Neddy...

Thailand can be whatever you want it to be. 

I ain’t rich, and not poor, but I do exactly the same here as I would at my home country.

We have a nice house, go out and eat at decent restaurants, 2 cars, only 1 at home though, even holidaying here is easier, just get in the car, instead of flying for 12 hours.

To me, it’s no different apart from being warmer than the UK...I don’t think the exchange rate will change my mind that much from living here, but if it does nose-dive...adios, but I can’t see that happening.?.  

The UK is hardly paradise itself, I feel more like an outsider there, than here. 

I live all around the Planet.Not because I want to but because of my Job. I really like Thailand having lived there for over 10yrs. Although, strangely enough never ever got on with expats who seem to think they're something spectacular and that got my goat - so to speak. Us Scottish get on with everyone and found this really peculiar ............

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JOC said:

When I moved here 15 years ago, I did it 100%...Nothing left in my home country.....

Money moved to Thai banks, the Thai Stock Exchange (SET), bought a house (in my Thai wife's name) and opened a business....

If I then had listened to the doom and gloom 'experts' on Thaivisa, I would have done none of the above....

I still have (more) money in Thai banks, SET has been good for me, have 3 houses today + some land plots and the business is on it's 15th year and still doing okay....

My point is, that if you move to a new country, you have to do it 100%...You can't live in two countries and have to worry about currency fluctuations...

My currency is (for better or worse) Thai baht....and I never translate local prices into to home country prices....

And before anyone ask...I don't receive a pension from 'home'....Probably entitled to one...but not worth the trouble for a small amount.

Hear a lot of my friends complain about bad exchange rates those days....The very same guys that told me, that I was stupid to put all my eggs in one basket.......I am not gloating.....but almost...:coffee1:

"have 3 houses today + some land plots and the business is on it's 15th year and still doing okay...."

The only farang in existence who OWNS land in LoS ?   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

A rather quaint way to look at it. If you made USD1500 at old rates; that would be what, B54,000 at 36 to 1?  No matter the current USD to THB rate, you are still making B54,000, are you not?

I think he might get paid in baht and he is talking about the conversion the other way round.

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981

Right, how about this then, the Baht is the strongest it's been for 20 years :

poundtobaht.jpg.88b56c1a88fead1f9ff22bb30a7b7598.jpg

I remember being here at the time when the exchange rate was 75 Baht to the pound.

It helps to mention which currency you're talking about when discussing exchange rates.....

Edited by ukrules

49 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although I do realise that its consensual, having sex with a female in exchange for some paper, is rather treating them badly

It's known as REALISM for those of us seasoned enough by women in general. 

47 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Not really, it’s their job...not a great job granted, but there are far worse jobs for the money than that...they would look at treating them badly by NOT bar fining them...??

I think you're going to have to explain what a Bar fine is 555

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

18-19 baht is possible.

They are forecasting our dollar at 68 cents and longer term, around 74 stable. The Aussie dollar is going to get pressed and if it gets to these levels, many are going to suffer. I am now pressing the wife to open back up her Accountancy business, I am rebuilding our rice barns to make way for rooms to rent to farangs that come to train for boxing. I bought over a few million at 26 not long back and now leave my income alone in my Australian bank account,  hoping to trade again at better times.

Australia is pretty much a basket case now.

I feel for you mate,  seriously I don't want to be at the whims of currency exchange and the vagaries of the Thai government and authoritarian BIB. 

I'm on a good wicket here in Aussie land, too much to lose if I relocated to LoS; but I'm sympathetic to those who do so. 

18 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Means: Got on my Tits - Sorry for being SCOTTISH !!!!

"Whas lark us ?  None and they're all deid"   ! 

My people were Highlanders cleared then migrated to Australia in the 1850's. 

2 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Hahaha...you do it, I have only heard the term...555,  shh, my mrs can read this, I ‘d have to explain to her as well..?

300 to 500 is reasonable,  1000 as in the Nightwish Bars on Soi 6 Pattaya is damned extortionate. 

• Like 1

I think if the baht was less than 20 to the Australian dollar I would be re-evaluating. Oh the days not so long ago when it was 33 to the AUD.

Every nation fiddles its currency with interest rates and money printing. My guess is the Thai government would intervene if the baht got too strong - hurts exports. Increased purchasing power for imports doesn't mean much with the tariffs they have in place.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Right, how about this then, the Baht is the strongest it's been for 20 years :

poundtobaht.jpg.88b56c1a88fead1f9ff22bb30a7b7598.jpg

I remember being here at the time when the exchange rate was 75 Baht to the pound.

It helps to mention which currency you're talking about when discussing exchange rates.....

My friend, you know me quite well and agree on most subjects for many a year. Although, I think I remember 2005-2007 Thai baht against the pound was nearly or more in the 80's but knowing the mentality of TV members - I'm now openly and dutifully under attack .........................:passifier:

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

My friend, you know me quite well and agree on most subjects for many a year. Although, I think I remember 2005-2007 Thai baht against the pound was nearly or more in the 80's but knowing the mentality of TV members - I'm now openly and dutifully under attack .........................:passifier:

I wrote that reply thinking about the pound, after I posted it I realised it was referring to the USD and not the pound. I guess we're used to thinking in the currency of our home country.

You do have a point though....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I wrote that reply thinking about the pound, after I posted it I realised it was referring to the USD and not the pound. I guess we're used to thinking in the currency of our home country.

You do have a point though....

Forgive me if I'm wrong. However, I seem to remember 89/90's but I'm sure some UK guy will put me right. I vaguely remember the price of sex was a mere bagatelle hahaha 

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

"Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981"

No offence but I guess we are supposed to guess which currency  you are talking about:smile:

No offense, do some research!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I think if the baht was less than 20 to the Australian dollar I would be re-evaluating. Oh the days not so long ago when it was 33 to the AUD.

Every nation fiddles its currency with interest rates and money printing. My guess is the Thai government would intervene if the baht got too strong - hurts exports. Increased purchasing power for imports doesn't mean much with the tariffs they have in place.

Yesterday's Bangkok Post was reporting exports increased 10%  and have not been hurt at all by the current currency levels.

4 hours ago, Kimber said:

There's no shortage of Condos for sale in LoS, selling one as an "investment"are you ? 

You lost me Kimber. "Condos . . . LoS . . .selling . . .investments . . " Never mentioned any of those things.

4 hours ago, johnson36 said:

I think he might get paid in baht and he is talking about the conversion the other way round.

Uh, yes. I said, " No matter the current USD to THB rate, you are still making B54,000, are you not?" I know he is talking about it the other way around; that is what I am saying is the wrong way to look at it.

It would have to go down to 20 baht a dollar before I would ump, but I know it will never will.  So ralistically, if it went down to, say, 25 naht to the $$$  I would rent my condi in Jom Tien, and live in Vietnam more than I already do...........I have a property in both countries.   Always have a Plan B.

12 hours ago, thaikahuna said:

The Baht was 20.05 to 1USD when I came here in 1971. When I moved here in 2005 it was 44-45 to 1 USD. since then it has been on a down slide with the occasional up burst. I could ride it out until 25 to 1 USD. Then I would be moving back stateside. At my age, 65, I don't see me making any multiple moves anymore.

Aaaaw, c'mon  Change is the spice of life, I too arrived from Vietnam in 1971, bought a bar in 1973, sold it in 1978 for 20 times what I paid for it in Pattaya, in what is now known as Walking street.  I am 68 and still travel - spending all my money, won't leave anything to anyone........thats what Life Insurance is for............have ppty in Vietnam, Thailand, and Hawaii, always have a Plan B.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

My friend
Personally, I'm an international businessman having left Thailand over 3 years ago after a 10 years stay. I'm well versed in Thailand and how us Farangs are are treated by its inhabitants namely thai women etc. Unless, your walking around with rose coloured  glasses or have have Thai apoligists syndrome, you need take care of your facilities,this mainly because Thailand ain't so Amazing as it portrays itself ,,,,,,,,,

:offtopic:Only time I have ever been screwed over in Thailand was with Farangs, my problem is over the years I have learned to speak Thai, better than 'fairly good', a Thai women has never screwed me over , but a few foreigners have tried.

• Like 1