Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

I am thinking that "go fund me" is the way to go.  It kind of cuts out the greedy insurance middle man.  In my village if someone dies every household makes a donation, they don't stand around smuggly saying should have got funeral insurance.  Go fund me is the insurance companies worst nightmare and i am all for it.

Edited by Tilacme
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, survivalblue said:

I think it's time to require Travel Medical insurance for boarding any international flight.  These people should not be allowed to travel and they should not be trying to get sympathetic donations when they get injured on crowdfunding websites.  

It's not that expensive to just insure yourself.  And foolish not to insure yourself.

If your not insured, you shouldn't be allowed to travel.

I self insure and I say baloney to you. 

As far as crowd funding - I think it's brilliant and "up to you" if you want to support someone or not.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

I hope they both recover and come on Thaivisa and give you a reply!

"If you have nothing nice to say it's probably best to say nothing at all" my old p.e teacher used to say to me when I booed at football practice.

They won't.  They've probably never heard of Thaivisa, not many visitors, or expats come to that, have.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thailand is signatory to all the international driving conventions and treaties , and accepts licenses from all other signatory countries (most countries in the world). All European licenses, Australia, US, UK , Canada etc, are valid in Thailand. (IDP may be required, up to 90 days etc.)

Only partly correct........Only if you are a tourist or visitor...If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Source:

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Apparently most people here just - don't - get - it.

MOST "travel insurance" policies that "tourists" could/would buy, specifically exclude motorcycle accidents. The insurance companies aren't stupid. They know the risks and they know that people will lie about their intentions. This comes up with almost every accident involving tourists and motorcycles.
Also, even if you have a policy that covers motorcycle accidents, it would be invalid if it turned out you weren't licensed to operate them or were using a type you weren't qualified for. For example, you may have an IDP that says you can drive scooters up to 125cc. If you have an accident while driving a CBR-400, your insurance would likely be invalidated.

Also, if you were drunk/stoned at the time of the accident your insurance would probably be voided
Also, read the fine print on your medical coverage, especially if it's a policy from "back home". For example, many Canadians simply assume that because they have Healthcare coverage back in Canada, they are covered no matter where they go. The truth is, even if you simply travel to another province you may not be covered, let alone if you travel to another country.

In fact, you are supposed to notify them if you are travelling outside of the province and they will (most likely) tell you to buy additional coverage as you won't be covered.

(Note: When I left the military to take a job in Afghanistan, I had to register with my provincial healthcare agency. They told me that my coverage would be something like $512 per year. I told them that I was going to Afghanistan for at least a year. They told me I wouldn't be covered the minute I left the province. I said, if you aren't going to cover me why would I bother paying the premiums ? No answer. I didn't pay but a couple months later they sent me a bill for the full sum, with late payment interest added on. I ignored it and sure enough, a couple months later they sent another bill with even more "late payment" interest, for coverage they had already told me I wouldn't be eligible for ! I finally sent them a cheque along with a nasty note and never heard from them again.)

I used to get by using an IDP as I was in/out of the country every couple of months anyways (and it was needed for work any ways). I did get my Thai DL awhile ago though and it has made life a little easier. 

I also have "Class A" (third party) motorcycle insurance, as well as a health insurance package from the bank, as well as a motorcycle-specific medical package the bank offers as well and of course the mandatory gov't insurance.

I also used to be a driver instructor and a Defensive Driving instructor and am always looking out for potential hazards while riding but momma-mia, this is Thailand and even the hazards have hazards ! I was going to try using my GoPro to make videos when I'm riding so I can point out all the "near misses" I've encountered while riding but most of the video is just boring, uneventful riding and I can't be bothered trying to edit the few seconds of "oh s***" that happens every now and then. 

Most of the near misses come from other drivers simply not looking when they turn onto a street or make a u-turn or change lanes. Couple months ago I was riding in Buriram and was going through a "T-Intersection". There were a couple vehicles at the intersection, waiting to make a right turn. The first vehicle saw me coming and was waiting for me to go through as I had the "right-of-way". No problem.

Except that the idiot behind him decided to pull out into the oncoming lane so he could cut around the guy in front of him ! Right in front of me ! Luckily I had slowed a bit as I approached the intersection as I half expecting the first vehicle to try and turn before I got there. Had my hands/feet ready but as I got close it seemed obvious that the lead vehicle was (properly) waiting for me to go through first so I started to relax a bit. I don't think I even had time to say "oh s*** !" when the 2nd vehicle suddenly started turning into my lane. Hit the clutch and the brakes and was able to veer to the far left side of the lane enough to miss the front of his vehicle and then I just carried on (while cursing his entire family line dating back to the dawn of mankind). 

(My Chinese knock-off "GoPro" battery had died long before that. Apparently a "4 hour battery life" = 80(ish) minutes of actual recording.)

I've had a lot of "close calls" with big trucks on the roads as well as they often like to change lanes without looking (or signalling). Another major problem is people turning onto a road without even the slightest glance to the right to see if someone is coming. I mean sheesh, we are taught to look (both ways) as kids before trying to cross a road. By the time you are riding on public roads on a scooter it should be automatic to look to the right before turning (left) onto a road.

However, there are more than a few foreigners that think they are "the boss" when it comes to riding motorcycles here as well, regardless of whether or not they've ever ridden them back home. When I was posted to Germany back in the 80s we had to take a week long motorcycle safety course and pass a test before we could get a license. However, the course and the test were done on 125cc size bikes and never went faster than 30km/hr.

But as soon as you were "qualified" and had your license, there was nothing stopping you from buying the biggest, baddest crotch rocket on the market and taking it to the autobahn the next day. We lost a couple guys and ended up with a few more badly injured as they simply could not handle that big of bike at those speeds. 

:sleep::sleep::sleep:        :shock1:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Absolutely correct. I came here many years ago, having ridden motorcycles extensively back in the UK. I completed rider safety courses up the ying-yang there, including the police-certified Gold Rider Award scheme. I had one minor mishap in the UK due to black ice. Came here and bought a bike. After four accidents in a year, none of which were my fault but gaining in severity, I hung up my skid-lid and switched to public transport and now a car. That's why I'm still alive. It's just not worth it. I realise it might be one of the only forms of affordable transport, but there are cheap cars available. 

I have been using a normal 125 for over 3 years now, not even had a scratch. However, we are soon to be getting a new car, once we have that I will use the current car and bin the bike for good. Like I say not had a scratch, but I know at some point my luck will run out. Strangely enough, I like having 2 legs as opposed to one.

All you angels going on about insurance, yes, he should have had it, but that wouldn't have saved his leg anyway. Scary sh1t.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

No insurance coverage...this twins up a bit to often with a go-fund-me page ...

As often mentioned, it is just a matter of time, before new regulations will spurge towards all tourists/travellers/expats arriving in Thailand who will be required, at the best to show proof of proper insurance in their country.....and at the worst, will be required to shell out more money and contract insurance on arrival (with all the probable scams) in Thailand during their stay, despite having all the necessary coverage contracted with their homeland insurances....thanks to the careless and irresponsable few, who will make regulations harsher for all.....

All the best to the poor chap for a prompt recovery.

Does it really matter how harsh the regulations get? They won't be enforced unless there are brown envelopes at the ready.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thailand is signatory to all the international driving conventions and treaties , and accepts licenses from all other signatory countries (most countries in the world). All European licenses, Australia, US, UK , Canada etc, are valid in Thailand. (IDP may be required, up to 90 days etc.)

Some weeks ago i learned from this forum that for French it isn't necessary to get a IDL...or they can get the thai dl by just showing their french one, without doing exams...

I wished it was the same for me and all dutchies, would make it much easyier...i have a thai drivingschool close to my house. Would be great if i can go there now and show my dl to get/buy a thai dl without any hassle.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 days, you have to do a borderrun and it's valid again for 90 days...isn't it?

That's whay they told me...well actually (in holland) they told me it's valid for a whole year, when i asked about that 90 day rule they couldn't answer me and had never heard of that strange rule.

Where can we read those rules on a official page?

You can't, because all Thai authorities make up their own.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Those insurancecompanies are also a bunch of cheaters...i just found out that the one i had for 12 years was double the price of another one which even offered more.

Also they make it a secret how long you're insured, for some you have to come back after 6 months or you're uninsured...after coming back you can leave again the next day for 6 months.

It's time the UK stops those dirty and stupid practises..just announce which one is the best and cheapest for a whole year nonstop travelling so it's easy for the kids to choose it.

For under 100 euro a year you can be insured nonstop..if you want extra's it costs more.

100 euro is a fragment of his total budget i guess, so it's really dumb to not take it.

"...if you want extra's it costs more". !

Insurers are not cheaters, if you don't like the premium offered don't buy the policy; if you haven't got the nouse to compare premiums, and cover, don't complain about your own deficiencies.

There are no secrets about the term of the cover, just read the terms of the cover offered and the policy conditions which are provided for you with every policy.  If you don't bother to read them, don't complain.

"It's time the UK stops those dirty and stupid practises..just announce which one is the best and cheapest for a whole year nonstop travelling so it's easy for the kids to choose it".

Good grief, what is wrong with you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

:sleep::sleep::sleep:        :shock1:

Totally concur with your comments on motorcycle insurance in Thailand.  My BUPA policy has a limit of 50,000bt for motorcycle accident, which will pay for what?

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:

alternate means....; minimize exposure to the road carnage; would anyone in their sane mind, given any alternatives , choose to play death with thai drivers

If the truck came out in front of the MC, the police would, or should, know then that it was the truck drivers fault. I know this is Thailand, but should the companies of these trucks not have them insured? If so, is there any need for a "go fund me"?

Does anyone know if these buses and trucks on Thailands roads have insurance that covers RTCs, or in this case the insurance company won't pay out because the rider does not have a MC license, I am assuming he does not have one.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Some weeks ago i learned from this forum that for French it isn't necessary to get a IDL...or they can get the thai dl by just showing their french one, without doing exams...

I wished it was the same for me and all dutchies, would make it much easyier...i have a thai drivingschool close to my house. Would be great if i can go there now and show my dl to get/buy a thai dl without any hassle.

The same rules apply for any country presenting a foreign license to get a Thai license, medical, reflex test etc. I have 2 French neighbours who did the same as me (Australian) to get their licenses.

There is no such thing as an International driving license, its an incorrect name for an IDP, a translation document that accompanies your actual license.

Technically an IDP is only required if your home license is not in English, its only a translation document, that accompanies your home license, its not a license.

You could present your home license at the DLT, a couple of reflex and eye tests, and get a Thai license, as would a French person.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

You can,no problem i told you that before.If your wife is not working on weekends she can go with you to the DVM and find out?

Time for action.!!

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have three separate insurance companies for my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle.

basic state insurance. 680 baht.

a separate company to insure me and my bike. 17,000 baht.

and Bupa health insurance platinum level. 118,000 baht.

per year.

and yes Bupa covers bike accidents.

Is that a picture of the late American country singer George Jones, in your avatar?

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wouldn't say his life is ruined, he lost a leg and should recover.

What attracts who to Thailand, 'the uninsured' ?

It probably wouldn't have made much difference if he did have insurance, most won't cover motorbikes and the temporary international licenses are only valid for 90 days.

Quite incorrect. International licenses are valid for 12 months and there are quite a few travel insurances/medical aid ones, that do cover motorbikes traveling. These are facts!?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

The accident investigation should reveal who was at fault, if anyone. I doubt it would take an expert very long to determine if anyone is at blame here.

They can argue about liability in the courts later.

If ANYONE is at fault ?

2 minutes ago, 0815 said:

If ANYONE is at fault ?

Not possible for there not to be, somebody made an error of judgment, otherwise we would not be reading about it.

Edited by Mattd

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Not possible for there not to be, somebody made an error of judgment, otherwise we would not be reading about it.

How many accidents happen without ANYBODY at fault ?

17 hours ago, saakura said:

Oh my God. What a terrible tragedy, just 29 years old with his whole life completely ruined. Just what attracts them to Thailand like flies to shit?

i would have thought like bees to honey, the English have been escaping Blighty for hundreds of years,  is not going to stop because you might get hurt one day

2 minutes ago, 0815 said:

How many accidents happen without ANYBODY at fault ?

Zero if a road incident, which is why they should not be called accidents, nothing accidental about this incident for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Most accidents we have seen with motorbikes are due to over speed by the driver, then lost of control, I would hate to criticize this poor  young man in the hospital right now, but I will allow myself to think was he driving like I said at 45kph there would probably have been no accident and in any case not the same level of gravity.

"Ever see a truck clean thru 20+ bikes waiting at a stop light? They were not going fast they were stopped"  

The chance to be implicated in such an accident is one million less because it happened yeees,  but in a country of 65 000 000 inhabitants and 500 000 square km 

one has to be really unlucky not comparable with all those drivers putting themselves in danger by their speed and their imprudence.

And in conclusion, driving like I drive for 6 years in Thailand never ever did I find my self in danger. OK it could happen tomorrow but il always thought I was a lucky man with a good star and a good guardian angel.  :smile:

I have a car too, last month we drove from Samui to Bueng Khan and back all in all 5000 km,  never did we found ourselves in danger, and believe me or not we did not even see an accident on that 5000 km drive. 

I on the other hand have driven a bike and car here since 8 years. I have seen more dead bodies on the road here than in 50 years of driving in the UK Matter of fact I saw one dead body on the road in the UK in 50 years, and I have seen 10 in 8 years here.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thian said:

The same applies for people from the Netherlands, there are however some document required and you need to go to the land transport place not your local driving school.

4 hours ago, franckfranck said:

Could someone pls help me understand why many trucks do that? Do they seriously think 'decor' is more imp than safety? Esp the tinting of the windows at the bottom.

I can explain it. The curtains and tinting? It makes a nice cozy place for the driver to sleep. Even while driving.

47 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

It never ceazes to amaze me how many holier than thou people frequent these boards...where do you all come from?

From countries where people are responsible.

Just curious about you, you said you are going to use the car if you get one. I got a car but i still take the bike most of the time. Here in BKK driving a bike is just much faster as a car. Been doing it for almost 10 years one accident. So not too bad. I wont be giving up my motorbike (got of course the right license and insurance.. you can call me your holiness:smile:

I accept the risks when i get on a motorbike.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1