Uninsured British man on way to extend his visa loses leg after horrific motorbike accident

snoop1130

People go on about not having medical insurance but the fact is whether you have medical insurance or not they probably wouldn't pay up for a motorcycle accident as they wouldn't pay up for any activity accident ie paragliding, jet skiing you need to take out specific insurance.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

From countries where people are responsible.

Just curious about you, you said you are going to use the car if you get one. I got a car but i still take the bike most of the time. Here in BKK driving a bike is just much faster as a car. Been doing it for almost 10 years one accident. So not too bad. I wont be giving up my motorbike (got of course the right license and insurance.. you can call me your holiness:smile:

I accept the risks when i get on a motorbike.

Hear what you are saying. I'm just paranoid and just think law of averages says at some point something will happen, and I do have a drink and jump on the bike too (I'm not perfect like everyone else on here)

I have 2 young kids and a job where I will not be paid if I cannot work. If I have a serious accident me and my family are f*cked) I am also a baby and even scared of the dentist, so it's beyond anything I can imagine losing a leg or the like.

I will miss it for sure, but want to quit while I'm still ahead. 

Just now, Pat in Pattaya said:

Hear what you are saying. I'm just paranoid and just think law of averages says at some point something will happen, and I do have a drink and jump on the bike too (I'm not perfect like everyone else on here)

I have 2 young kids and a job where I will not be paid if I cannot work. If I have a serious accident me and my family are f*cked) I am also a baby and even scared of the dentist, so it's beyond anything I can imagine losing a leg or the like.

I will miss it for sure, but want to quit while I'm still ahead. 

Personally dislike people who drink and drive  (friend got killed by one) but at least you do it with a scooter instead of a car. My problem with people who drink and drive is that they are usually not the ones that die but innocent bystanders. Rant over.

I understand the law of averages and if you feel better in a car go for it. Personally I feel safe on the bike (outskirts of BKK) because here there is a lot of one way traffic and most problems arise with people merging and cutting in. Around my area its not much of a problem its all quite clear and one way. For me its just a time issue.. the bike is faster. plus easier to park.

My car is far safer but slower harder to park. I think one can control a lot of the risk (certainly not all)

So just live with the choice you make.. its sensible. 

• Like 1

Thailand has about the most dangerous roads in the world for motor cyclists.  Foreigners, unfamiliar with Thai traffic and often without a licence or experience of riding motor bikes back home, are particularly vulnerable.   Anyone choosing to ride one in Thailand should be prepared for the worst and at least have insure.  Travelling by foot or public transport is a better option for most tourists.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Personally dislike people who drink and drive  (friend got killed by one) but at least you do it with a scooter instead of a car. My problem with people who drink and drive is that they are usually not the ones that die but innocent bystanders. Rant over.

I understand the law of averages and if you feel better in a car go for it. Personally I feel safe on the bike (outskirts of BKK) because here there is a lot of one way traffic and most problems arise with people merging and cutting in. Around my area its not much of a problem its all quite clear and one way. For me its just a time issue.. the bike is faster. plus easier to park.

My car is far safer but slower harder to park. I think one can control a lot of the risk (certainly not all)

So just live with the choice you make.. its sensible. 

Yep, agree with all that.

I live on the outskirts of Udon and it may sound like an excuse but to get to the bar and back in a taxi every time is just not practical. Every man and his dog takes their bike and has a beer, I never get bladdered and never have more than 4 beers. 

The other problem with a car is when it's hot the car is like a an oven inside. Absolutely hate hearing these stories about children or dogs trapped in them, must be one of the worse ways to go, but that's another story.

9 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

This is being sensible and a case of minimising the risk.

I owned a Kawasaki 650 here, not long after they became cheap enough to buy, I had it about a year and really did not ride it much, as it was a toy, every time I did ride it was not enjoyable, the other road users made sure of that part, then a Thai colleague was killed on a motorbike, leaving behind a wife and two young children, with two children myself, the day after his cremation I sold it, the risk outweighed the reward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This is being sensible and a case of minimising the risk.

I owned a Kawasaki 650 here, not long after they became cheap enough to buy, I had it about a year and really did not ride it much, as it was a toy, every time I did ride it was not enjoyable, the other road users made sure of that part, then a Thai colleague was killed on a motorbike, leaving behind a wife and two young children, with two children myself, the day after his cremation I sold it, the risk outweighed the reward.

Yes, well I haven't done it yet, need to get the new motor first.

But ye,s it terrifies me really. The good news is the in-laws will inherit the bike :-)

7 hours ago, Disco738 said:

Thailand is the worlds most popular tourist destination and you liken it to flies on shit .  

Where do you get your information - please provide evidence to support your idiotic claim! [Thailand's tourist numbers have actually been falling steadily for a number of years]. 

47 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Yep, agree with all that.

I live on the outskirts of Udon and it may sound like an excuse but to get to the bar and back in a taxi every time is just not practical. Every man and his dog takes their bike and has a beer, I never get bladdered and never have more than 4 beers. 

The other problem with a car is when it's hot the car is like a an oven inside. Absolutely hate hearing these stories about children or dogs trapped in them, must be one of the worse ways to go, but that's another story.

You never have more than 4 beers, great. What do you think will happen when a kid runs on the road, or you'll be involved in any other accident where the cops show up?

I assume that you drink 4 big bottles and I'm not a priest, just thinking you're are fooling yourself.

I never had kids, or dogs trapped inside my truck and the air conditioner works after a few minutes, 

• Like 2

Seeing stuff like this makes me creepy. Been driving a bike for 13 yrs in Thailand only using the goverment insurance.

Can anybody recommend a good one, just for accident cover like this on a moped. I saw a poster say 100 euros a year should cover it?

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

People go on about not having medical insurance but the fact is whether you have medical insurance or not they probably wouldn't pay up for a motorcycle accident as they wouldn't pay up for any activity accident ie paragliding, jet skiing you need to take out specific insurance.

Correct, self insure is the only way.

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

Correct, self insure is the only way.

You would have to pretty wealthy to do that with any confidence, I know of several folks that do that here with health insurance, using the excuse that the xxxx Baht they save each year on the premiums pays for it, the problem with that is making sure that money goes in to the bank and stays there, 99 times out of 100 it gets spent.

It is not difficult to rack up well over 1m THB in one hospital bill here, then there might be the several millions of follow up care that goes with it.

Most simply cannot afford that risk.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

no the international driverslicense is valid for 90 day

There is NO SUCH THING as an International Driving License. An I D Permit allows you to use your home D L in another country and is merely a translation of that. You get it for about a fiver at the Post Office or RAC. And it is valid for 12 months wherever you need it.

Edited by wgdanson

17 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Seeing stuff like this makes me creepy. Been driving a bike for 13 yrs in Thailand only using the goverment insurance.

Can anybody recommend a good one, just for accident cover like this on a moped. I saw a poster say 100 euros a year should cover it?

Travelinsurance get expensive if you need one that covers 12 months in row...most of them won't do that but cover untill 6 months in row.

It depends on your nationality which is the best for you..

you can just google for travelinsurance and compare them, or just call/mail them.

Cheapest ones start at 60-70 euro a year...expensive ones give you much more extra's though...

7 hours ago, davethailand said:

That was all I needed whilst there. I haven't the docs anymore but I know it was 2 million hospital expenses, 10000bht a day room etc, one million evacuation and repatriation.

Used it a couple of times, it covered me as a passenger whilst pissed so that was a result.

I was commenting on the Bupa policy which I assume is somewhere in the range of 1 to 1.5 million if underwritten in Thailand. Based on your comment you support my thought the policy wouldn't be enough. You got to remember this guy had a leg removed and most likely is or was in ICU, that will cost him 3 times a day. BHP, Pattaya, charges something like 15,000 for Semi and Full ICU 30,000 a day. 

The insurance the victim has since he has the bike register is most likely the government which will cover him 10.000-15,000 max,  you mentioned in your situation you were " pissed " considered yourself lucky because if your blood level was reported and the hospital might not have since you were insured quick payment instead of chasing you the fine print in every policy I have read and that includes Bupa, if unwritten in Thailand is VOID!

Edited by thailand49

19 hours ago, Thian said:

Those insurancecompanies are also a bunch of cheaters...i just found out that the one i had for 12 years was double the price of another one which even offered more.

Also they make it a secret how long you're insured, for some you have to come back after 6 months or you're uninsured...after coming back you can leave again the next day for 6 months.

It's time the UK stops those dirty and stupid practises..just announce which one is the best and cheapest for a whole year nonstop travelling so it's easy for the kids to choose it.

For under 100 euro a year you can be insured nonstop..if you want extra's it costs more.

100 euro is a fragment of his total budget i guess, so it's really dumb to not take it.

But also the sugarcanetrucks that i've seen at work in thailand are complete idiots...they don't give a duck about anybody else on the roads...they let anybody drive those things (young kids as well), overload them, loose load all the time, don't follow any rules...very selfish people they are..

I hope the boy recovers fast, what a tragedy.

What are you on about - you expect a country or some government department to compare insurance quotes and tell you which is the best?? What nanny state did you come from?

It's up to you to take responsibility for your own actions and if you make a bad decision or are too lazy to check things out properly, then learn and do better next time. The internet and IT has made this much easier to do. And rather than sit on your jacksie for 12 years, do some quotation checking.

Most (all?) travel insurance policies don't cover motor bike, scooter riding. Even if you got someone to do that the premium would be significant. And they'd probably want substantial experience, full protective clothing etc etc.There job is to minimize their risks. 

Any sane person hates stories like this, and hopes for a speedy recovery and adjustment to his new situation. But traveling around many under developed countries, riding motor bikes in a country known for severe road dangers, and not having any travel and medical insurance is just asking for trouble. 

Crown funding isn't the answer. Sadly, the actions of people like this will force countries into making insurance mandatory, with insurance companies taking note of a new captive market. Travelers, tourists and expats will all suffer because a few chose to ignore common sense.

19 hours ago, JOC said:

Please please make it compulsory for anyone entering Thailand to have a travel/medical insurance.

We will still have the terrible accidents, but at least the victims and their families will not have to worry about the bill...

I'm in excellent health,  responsible, don't break laws, don't drink, drive, fight, and treat all with respect and curtesy, so I avoid irresponsible tourists like the plague up here in the North, yet your solution means the end of my winter escapes to Thailand. For those of us over 70, travel insurance doesn't exist....not even with multi-K$ deductible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

The same applies for people from the Netherlands, there are however some document required and you need to go to the land transport place not your local driving school.

And from the UK.

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You would have to pretty wealthy to do that with any confidence, I know of several folks that do that here with health insurance, using the excuse that the xxxx Baht they save each year on the premiums pays for it, the problem with that is making sure that money goes in to the bank and stays there, 99 times out of 100 it gets spent.

It is not difficult to rack up well over 1m THB in one hospital bill here, then there might be the several millions of follow up care that goes with it.

Most simply cannot afford that risk.

You are correct but try getting insurance cover Bt3mil for motorcycle accident.  I doubt its even available and if it were the premium would be astronomic.  Remember Thailand is number one in the world for motorcycle accidents.  I am not talking about travel insurance for short term tourists but getting cover at a fair price for those of us who live here.

12 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

The odds of bribing at the station diminish greatly where there are 50 mouths to feed.

The only time to consider it is at the scene where there are just a few cops to feed

It seems that you've never been at a Thai police station and watched officers writing a report?

The officers who were called to the accident have much more power than cops in Western countries.

If they come to the conclusion that the foreigner did anything wrong, the case won't go to court.

And the cop's colleagues at the police station have absolutely no influence on "their decision" after filing a report with the truck driver.

Other cops are trying to ride their own horse, which is one of the ways how they actually make money.