Urgent coach safety warning

webfact

4 years ago, double decker buses over 4m in height, were deemed illegal.....nothing was done.

Every year there are increasing road accidents involving busses....built in Thailand of light steel and plastic...and they literally fall apart on impact...but nothing's been done and no-one cares.

My family will never die on one of these crap heaps....but unfortunately, hundreds of Thais will!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a977 said:

Both the driver and owner of this bus should be charged with first degree murder, the driver for taking banned substances and the owner for allowing said driver to get behind the wheel

I'm pretty sure one company will be declaring themselves either unable to pay or bankrupt and unable to pay soon as the bills and compensation claims start to come in.

As for murder - manslaughter at best - since he did not set out to do it. Though there would still be some PC liberal lefty nutcase saying it was not the drivers fault it was his challenging upbringing !

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

"gather evidence" LOOK at the  bleedin  picture, how  much more evidence do you need.

'Gathering evidence and determining the cause of the crash' - standard phrases used to make these idiots look like they're doing something important. In fact, it is just a statement to hide the fact that these idiots have absolutely NO IDEA what they are doing, or what to do next. The driver already said he lost control, brakes failed, he was tested positive for substance abuse - what else do you need? As I said, faffing about.

If they really want to do something, how about hauling up all public vehicle drivers - give proper training, introduce strict enforcement and have all vehicles - buses, vans, lorries - properly inspected. I'll be darned if the statistics don't start to come down. Of course, I was just dreaming and this will never happen...

• Like 1

I'm not even going to read the story. 

How many times has the bs "swift review" line been peddled by people seeking to correct their own lack of attention to their responsibility.

It tires me to read the annual bs. 

January - deaths because of cold, 

February - valentines day destroying thai values

March - forrest fires, drowning deaths, air pollution

April - Songkran road deaths

May - parents without money pawning belongings to buy school books........

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I assumed I corrected right, sorry if you ment something else. However, that is not the point. What I want to know is what a "1st world expat" is. Is that some kind of expression that shall provide us with a stance above other people that according to you do not own the same class as you appearently assume you do?

Probably better to phrase it would be an expat from a 1st world country living in Thailand.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Many old buses that had not met current standards were still allowed to operate,

BINGO . . . there's the problem in one short sentence. And there's more . . .

The driver of the coach was arrested yesterday in the northeastern province and tested positive for substance use,

Now then, how many months, if ever at all, will it be before the experts and analysts at the Thailand Road Accident Research Centre get the combined message from these two snippets of information?

1. Vehicles, capable of carrying 80 or more passengers, often at frighteningly high speeds, but which don't meet current safety standards, ARE ALLOWED ON THE ROADS.
  2. Drivers are able to drive these vehicles, even when under the influence of narcotics and, by the same logic, alcohol, without fear of being stopped, tested and FOUND TO BE INCAPABLE OF DRIVING SAFELY.

Put these two factors together, in the same coach, carrying 80 passengers, and there's the cause of 18 deaths, yesterday and probably another score before the month's out.

Will there be any results from the TRARC investigations? Very doubtful . . . 'cos this is Thailand, the country where things, even important things, are simply too much trouble to sort.

• Like 2

When driving on mountain roads drivers need to use the gears, not the brakes.
Over use of the brakes causes first a serious burning smell, then brakes have faded and nothing left to stop the vehicle with.

Correct.
I believe most Thai drivers do not know the reasons why brakes fail. I'm sure they have never had formal training. These crashes occur when the driver first experiences the "mysterious" failure of the brakes on a long downhill run while they continue to apply brakes to try and slow down instead of using lower gears.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Correct.
I believe most Thai drivers do not know the reasons why brakes fail. I'm sure they have never had formal training. These crashes occur when the driver first experiences the "mysterious" failure of the brakes on a long downhill run while they continue to apply brakes to try and slow down instead of using lower gears.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe it's now been established that the driver was high on ya-ba and the brakes did not fail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

However, the bus involved in the accident in Nakhon Ratchasima was equipped with GPS and it had been travelling at only 80 kilometres per hour.

This part of the highway, being 'hilly and curvy' with major new construction, requires a maximum speed of between 50 and 60 kph for regular 4-wheel vehicles so despite the bus doing 'only 80 kilometers per hours' it was still going far too fast.

The driver of the coach was arrested yesterday in the northeastern province and tested positive for substance use, provincial police chief Pol Maj-General Watcharin Boonkhong said yesterday.

It looks like the driver was 'speeding' in more ways than one.

Although almost all buses already have GPS tracking installed, monitoring systems have proven ineffective in preventing accidents, because there is not a direct warning system linking the monitoring centre to drivers, and the speed limit for the vehicles is set at 90 kilometres per hour, regardless of the terrain and geographical features of the roads.

Do these GPS-enabled buses have an active over-speed warning system that flashes lights and sounds an alarm in the drivers cab? Is there a monitoring center? Or is there simply a registry of GPS stickers and decals stuck on the backs of buses?

Drivers on Highway Number 304, which sees frequent accidents, had to be cautious because the route was hilly and curvy, Wichien said. Authorities have posted traffic signs, painted traffic lines and installed barriers along the road as well as occasionally set up checkpoints to warn motorists.

I drive this route regularly and actually drove the night before this accident, passing through the 'hilly and curvy' bit around 8 PM. Between leaving Udon at 16:30 and arrival in Pattaya at 01:00, there was a total of TWO traffic checkpoints on the southbound side and not much more observed on the northbound side. Maybe they are all resting up ahead of April's carnage?

Notably there has only ever been ONE check point located in the 'hilly and curvy' bits but TBH, I haven't seen that traffic check active for maybe 3 or 4 years already, about the time that the southern bits of the 'hilly and curvy' road started being upgraded to a dual-carriageway.

The Land Transport Department will stop accepting new registration of double-decker buses because they are more vulnerable to road accidents than ordinary buses, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said Thursday (March 22).

Oh good. That's the problem solved then.

Just like the minivan carnage has all been taken care of.

Edited by NanLaew

As i recognised in this country Thailand LIVE counts nothing as long the profit runs well.

And so Thailand got the word Hub of LOOSE LIFE ON THE ROADS!!!!!!!!!Congratulation! Good for TAT to use to promote to come to Thailand.

1 hour ago, peperobi said:

Like usual, everyone knows about the problems but none even try to change it, only bla...bla...bla...

It's a universal Thai philosophy like:

Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

This brake failure, or malfunction, seems to be used by most drivers who cause carnage on the roads, and we never seem to hear of any severity in punishments meted out.

If, which seems highly probable, his substance abuse is proved to be the cause of this horrendous tragedy, he should be given the absolute maximum time of incarceration. Any severe punishment should also be massively publicised for the whole nation to see, to, hopefully, act as a deterrent to other drivers with the same mentality as this <deleted>.  

Yes. Instead of halving the sentence when someone pleads guilty they should double it if they lie. Brake failure numbers would plummet.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Many old buses that had not met current standards were still allowed to operate, while monitoring measures using GPS tracking were not effective to prevent accidents, Academic Centre for Road Safety director Dr Thanapong Jinvong said yesterday.

I know it's a silly question in Thailand, but WHY?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thrilled said:

I fly as much as possible in Thailand.With the new airline flying out of Korat airport it’s fantastic.Heck with the bus

I want to fly from Phuket to Korat on 4 April but New Gen Airways website is useless. I can’t see any facility to book online,nor even the schedule. Even the enquiry facility on the site doesn’t work. Any guidance as to how I can do this?

ALTHOUGH THERE are a limited number of double-decker coaches in Thailand, official regulations and monitoring of the vehicles needed to be improved, a road safety expert said after an accident killed 18 people at Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday night.

An expert at what!  Counting the dead, or stating the ****in obvious!

There were about 7,000 double-decker buses on the country’s roads, 1,500 of which were fixed-route transport buses and the remaining 5,500 operating as private for-hire vehicles, which were more problematic, because most of those vehicles did not meet current safety standards, he said.

So, why are they still operating!  

Expert at this, expert at that!  The only expertise ingrained into Thai society is sitting on your backside instead if doing the job you're already paid to do!  

Double-decker bus accident that killed 18 people raises concerns

It does for the rest of the world too, like most of the Thai national news!

Edited by Moti24
  • Haha 1