Rabies epidemic: Livestock Department says it won't cull Thailand's soi dogs

webfact

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Feeding and caring for Soi dogs.

Is a 100% selfish act. 

Children should be able to play and enjoy life  in safety in Thailand.

Shame on all you selfish do gooders. :bah:

Put the dogs down now. 

Go and have your brain checked ... it's urgent !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Is a 100% selfish act. 

Put the dogs down now. 

29 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Go and have your brain checked ... it's urgent !

No my brain is fine. 

But I think,  your one maybe struggling a little bit. :cheesy:

( please see below )

nobodysfriend

I do not like to read the comments of the TV members anymore it's a waste of time ... What do all you disgusting people who seem to hate the thais , the dogs , even the women , what do you look for here ?   Go back where you come from and Thailand will be a better place .

Nice one  :stoner:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

A better and more humane long term solution, than culling, would be to have a nationwide neutering programme for street dogs. Within a few years the problem would then gradually reduce to close to zero.

Long term, nope they wouldnt be able to sustain anything more than a few  weeks, if  that.

Actually a  quick  cull and then implementation of neutering thereafter with big  fines for feeding strays  would  end  it  all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Years ago , I remember a farang man throwing a little puppy in the waves . The puppy struggled for it's life , but survived because I broke the nose of this farang idiot after he became agressive .

I do not like to read the comments of the TV members anymore it's a waste of time ... What do all you disgusting people who seem to hate the thais , the dogs , even the women , what do you look for here ?   Go back where you come from and Thailand will be a better place .

t

Better  than where?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

A better and more humane long term solution, than culling, would be to have a nationwide neutering programme for street dogs. Within a few years the problem would then gradually reduce to close to zero.

And in those few years the havoc can go on?

Seems to me a stupid solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Years ago , I remember a farang man throwing a little puppy in the waves . The puppy struggled for it's life , but survived because I broke the nose of this farang idiot after he became agressive .

t

Here Nobodys, I've found you a friend...

Image result for rabid thailand soi dogs

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Those dogs also bite innocent people (even ones without rabies) and they cause roadaccidents, open binbags and are the cause of people not daring to take a walk outside.

Just cull them, this is the perfect moment for it.

Thankfully you hold no influence in this country, nor in society as a whole, so your cruel demand will be ignored.

9 hours ago, lupin said:

yes yes... unwanted dogs/cats are more important than people potentially dying because , you know, feelings

It is quite something that we have so many uneducated ignorant  statements claiming a large death toll, when the reality is that the  deaths are insignificant. Are you aware that more people will die from dengue related complications this month then have died from rabies in the past five years? Where are your priorities?  The cost of what you demand is not justified by your imaginary benefit.

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

When officialdom refuses to act, it's up to the people to deal with the problem themselves.  Shame you can't buy antifreeze in Thailand.

A responsible decent man with some semblance of morality would not advocate an illegal act of cruelty as you are doing. It is a criminal offence to advocate poisoning  animals as you are doing. You are depraved because the poison you  promote  results in a painful lengthy death.  Your demand is why many of the foreigners demanding a death campaign are ridiculed and treated as mental deficients with their  idiotic demands and false claims.

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Is a 100% selfish act. 

Put the dogs down now. 

Children should not be playing  in sois. More children will die on any given day due to being run over  in a soi by a speeding vehicle than have died in Thailand from rabies in the past five years.

You have your priorities screwed up.  The risk of rabies is more pronounced in rural areas, not in urban areas. That means that the likelihood of a child becoming infected with rabies 

while playing in a soi  is even less  likely.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

youre  being way to sensible, whenever Ive met "animal lovers" they have often turned out to be quite eccentric and irrational, ok...total fruitcakes

You are disrespectful and  insolent. Many of Thailand's animal shelters and wildlife rehab facilities  benefited from Royal patronage. Do you people ever think before you post, like think  of the implications?  Are you even aware of who many of the animal welfare people are in Thailand?  These are kind, decent people of exceptional integrity. Several people who post in TVF are alive today because of the interventions of physicians who are also kind and generous supporters of animals.

You know those foreigners who end up destitute, or in jail or who are  quite ill in hospital or who are abandoned by everyone? Well, the people who are the first to respond are the people you are now ridiculing.  It is doubtful that someone of your background would have any social interaction with these people, other than as a beneficiary of their charity. You haven't the slightest clue as to who they are. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Their religion does not allow it.

Shame on their religion when dogs come before beautiful children & other people

What are you on about? Your post is nonsensical and ignorant. More children will be molested by foreigners this week than will have died  from rabies in the past five years. Why don't you get off your  soap box do something about that. Better yet, take a stand against the sex trade which will kill more people this year than rabies will have killed in the past decade. Where are your priorities?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You are disrespectful and  insolent. Many of Thailand's animal shelters and wildlife rehab facilities  benefited from Royal patronage.

May well be part of the problem

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Long term, nope they wouldnt be able to sustain anything more than a few  weeks, if  that.

Actually a  quick  cull and then implementation of neutering thereafter with big  fines for feeding strays  would  end  it  all.

Big fines for feeding soi dogs, something like the B100,000 for dropping a cigarette butt on the beach, but then of course getting priorities right in Thailand is a big challenge. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Just follow countries that have successfully eradicated rabies. Stray dogs are rounded up and kept for a minimum of 7 days, if not claimed rehomed or euthanised.

But because there is no profit in it, will never happen here.

If you are implying that countries that had a rabies problem, have either eradicated it or brought it under control by removing stray dogs from the streets alone, that is untrue. Those that have have managed to control rabies have done so primarily by setting up effective mass canine vaccination campaigns.

The classic example of this is the Americas. Bangladesh has also made great strides in reducing rabies deaths by the use of mass canine vaccination. As stated on the WHO rabies fact sheet webpage:  Rabies Fact sheet

Since 1983, countries in the WHO Region of the Americas have reduced the incidence of rabies by over 95% in humans and 98% in dogs. This success has been achieved mainly through the implementation of effective policies and programmes that focus on regionally coordinated dog vaccination campaigns, raising public awareness, and widespread availability of PEP.

[...]

Bangladesh launched an elimination programme in 2010 and, through the management of dog bites, mass dog vaccination, and increased availability of vaccines free of charge, human rabies deaths decreased by 50% between 2010–2013.

• Like 1

People see soi dogs and see something ugly and they want it to disappear. It sort of reminds me of homeless populations; people don’t know what to do with them, but they want them gone and out of sight. When we go to the bathroom, we can just flush the result away. But, it still exists somewhere, but as long as we don’t have to see or deal with it, we are happy. 

I’m not claiming to be better than anyone, but I’m fairly confident that the “proper solution” (whatever that means) isn’t killing a huge lot of dogs. 

ON SO many levels I think they’ve made the right choice. Maybe they could quietly get away with something like this 30 years ago, but not today. THe country relies heavily on tourism, a large part of which I’m guessing is very sensitive to a topic like this. Especially dogs for christ’s Sake. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

What are you on about? Your post is nonsensical and ignorant. More children will be molested by foreigners this week than will have died  from rabies in the past five years. Why don't you get off your  soap box do something about that. Better yet, take a stand against the sex trade which will kill more people this year than rabies will have killed in the past decade. Where are your priorities?

Is it not possible to have an issue with both paedophilia and rabies contraction? Rabies is not the only issue regarding wild dogs either I might add as there are non-related deaths and numerous instances of maulings.

8 million soi dogs so just over 8% of Thailand’s population but no problem 

we’re sorting it! 

When I moved to BK many years ago me and my friends were attacked by about 13 soi dogs 

I’m a dog lover but these were nasty - told my friends to run and kicked the “leader” in the face - rest backed off - I’m not proud of what I did but it was necessary 

13 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

we’re sorting it! 

When I moved to BK many years ago me and my friends were attacked by about 13 soi dogs 

I’m a dog lover but these were nasty - told my friends to run and kicked the “leader” in the face - rest backed off - I’m not proud of what I did but it was necessary 

Not proud, I would have returned later and finished the job properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davemos said:

Rabies only kills some people ..the ones that can't afford the Sabine vaccine Sure all tourists can afford that .

Good to see that small problem has now been solved. Do you have a quick easy cure for road deaths, child abuse and molestation, won't burden you with any other problems at the moment -- see how you go with these first couple. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, humbug said:

the livestock department just exists to protect murdering farmers for killing animals to sell for a profit.

Its a sick joke to then kill other animals that may of may not kill animals on farms that will be sold for food. 

6 humans have died this year of rabies. 16 humans died in 1 road accident on tuesday. People die no need to kill animals when the world is already overloaded with too many humans 

Rabid vegetarian springs to mind

Its 18 so far you are devaluing your argument for the preservation of feral dogs

4 hours ago, Genmai said:

Every time I go to the nearby 7/11 I am horrified at the sight of the stray dog that the Thai locals 'care' for. The thing looks like something out of The Walking Dead,

That really made me laugh out loud. This is indeed exactly how some of them look!

48 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

we’re sorting it! 

You are not a dog lover and have no idea about dog behaviour. I have never been bitten by a soi dog in many years of living here, normally patting them but can guarantee you, kicking them will get you bitten and if karma is real, it will have rabies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aussiebrian said:

You are not a dog lover and have no idea about dog behaviour. I have never been bitten by a soi dog in many years of living here, normally patting them but can guarantee you, kicking them will get you bitten and if karma is real, it will have rabies.

Yes mate every chance the scabby thing will be carrying rabies, just like a whole lot more of them

Hope your luck holds out

• Like 2