Record number of U.S. Marines to train in Australia in symbolic challenge to China

webfact

Record number of U.S. Marines to train in Australia in symbolic challenge to China

By Colin Packham

2018-03-23T012208Z_1_LYNXMPEE2M04D_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-USA-DEFENCE.JPG

FILE PHOTO - U.S. Marines aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious assault ship stand in formation during a ceremony marking the start of Talisman Saber 2017, a biennial joint military exercise between the United States and Australia aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious assault ship on the the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Sydney, Australia, June 29, 2017. REUTERS/Jason Reed/File Photo

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The United States will deploy a record number of Marines to train in Australia, the Australian defence minister said on Friday, as Washington seeks to counter what it describes as Chinese aggression in the region.

Payne said 1,587 U.S. Marines will spend six months training in Australia's remote north, an increase of nearly 27 percent on its 2017 rotation for the programme known as the Force Posture Initiatives.

"The U.S. military plays a vital role in underwriting security and stability across the Indo-Pacific, and the Force Posture Initiatives will be an essential component in preserving stability and security over the coming decades," Defence Minister Marise Payne said in a statement.

The deployment, first introduced in 2011 as part of a U.S. "pivot" to Asia, has emerged as a key indicator of Washington's commitment to the region under U.S. President Donald Trump and his willingness to counter Chinese influence in a region where tensions have spiked amid disputes over the South China Sea.

China claims most of the South China Sea, an important trade route that is also believed to contain large quantities of oil and natural gas, and has been building artificial islands on reefs, some with ports and air strips.

In a move likely to irk Beijing, the U.S. Marines will train with personnel from Australia, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand, several nations that also have claims in the South China Sea.

"China will monitor whatever the U.S. does and it would prefer that the United States not work with the Asian countries included in these exercises," said Euan Graham, director of the international security programme at Australian think tank the Lowy Institute.

"Beijing would like to deal one-on-one with Southeast Asia nations that have counter claims," he said.

The military deployment also threatens to further weaken Australia-Chinese relations.

Australia, a staunch U.S. ally with no claim to the South China Sea, has long maintained its neutrality in the dispute to protect its economic relationship with China.

But bilateral relations have soured in recent months after Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said China was improperly interfering in Canberra's affairs, an accusation that triggered a rare protest from Beijing.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-23

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Australia, a staunch U.S. ally with no claim to the South China Sea, has long maintained its neutrality in the dispute to protect its economic relationship with China.

That's the money talking again!! The Chinese have been huge investors within Australia buying up land hand over fist. Influencing government at all levels of power no wonder we are just sitting on the fence.

As a side note there are over 600,000 Chinese born and 80,000 US born living in Australia. 

5 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

That's the money talking again!! The Chinese have been huge investors within Australia buying up land hand over fist. Influencing government at all levels of power no wonder we are just sitting on the fence.

As a side note there are over 600,000 Chinese born and 80,000 US born living in Australia. 

Many are from HK or refugees from Tiananmen. No great love for the central party there.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Foreign investors are crucial to Australia's economic future. Chinese investors own about 3% of Australian agricultural land. Australia has a balancing act to play with China in challenging times. However, the Turnbull government has pushed back against Chinese  influencing efforts.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/09/china-says-turnbulls-remarks-have-poisoned-the-atmosphere-of-relations

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Doesn't matter how much land they buy. When it all goes wrong, they can't take it with them.

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I would suggest that most Australians have not given it a one second thought

I don't know about what thought is given to the presence of a small contingent of US servicemen in Australia for training. But a poll taken in 2015 might lend some insight from Australians' viewpoint of US involvement over the South China Sea conflict.

"The poll, commissioned by the Australia-China Relations Institute (ACRI), found 71% thought Australia should remain neutral in any armed conflict over disputed islands and maritime territory in the East China Sea, and 68% thought Australia should still say no if the president rang the prime minister asking for assistance."  https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/05/australians-opposed-taking-sides-china-japan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I am American and I have no problem criticising America when it is deserved but I resent anyone indicating that the majority of  Americans are sick and violent.  You might want to visit some bars around Thailand and see who is there drunk night after night and looking for a fight.  I can  asure most of the Americans are not there but attending to their business and families.

We're not attacking American people, most of us know Americans in Thailand, and we know that Americans are about the same as anybody else.

What we are against is the US government, we are against Washington. Washington has, through the media, convinced lots of Americans that it is nice and friendly institution. A classic example would be that invasion of Iraq, back in 2003.

Washington has to pretend that it is trying to spread freedom and democracy to the rest of the world. By pretending this, well, it's managed to get lots of Americans to back and support it's foreign policy. Most Americans would certainly not back their government's foreign policy, if they knew what the real goal is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Or... the US would be unable to prosecute its agenda in most of the Southern Hemisphere, without Australian assets.

we are allies, because both sides have something to bring to the table... not because the US is some kind of benevolent entity

And unfortunately, the US government has managed to convince lots of people, Americans and people outside of America, that it is a benevolent entity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

And unfortunately, the US government has managed to convince lots of people, Americans and people outside of America, that it is a benevolent entity.

I don't know who the US has convinced that it is a benevolent entity, could you site some examples.   I do know that China has convinced no one that it is a benevolent entity.   

If Australia doesn't want the troops there, then they can say no.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If were to be a war that  was not of immediate avantage to the  US  then  why assume  US assets  would  be  made available?

Read my post again, never made the assumption

8 hours ago, Credo said:

I don't know who the US has convinced that it is a benevolent entity, could you site some examples.   I do know that China has convinced no one that it is a benevolent entity.   

If Australia doesn't want the troops there, then they can say no.

Correct. If Australia wants the U.S. Marines to leave, all they have to do is say so. They will be gone in a flash...... 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I would suggest that most Australians have not given it a one second thought (unless you have a survey you can direct me to of course).

Surveys are a waste of time because they give a result that is determined by the way you ask the questions either in a positive or negative spin.  Youre right, Australians give nothing a second thought because they're too lazy ,spoilt and apathetic  but ive never heard anyone say they want yankee soldiers  bonking around in OZ.

• Like 1