Signs to be erected at ignored Pattaya bus stops

Rimmer

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:
2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

That wasn't the case in the top of peak season this year. In the past the lights were pretty much off most of the time including the peak season but not always. To counteract some of the nonsense, here's pic of the pedestrian light on 2nd Rd working and the traffic stopped for it:

post-14882-0-38729700-1387012378_thumb.jpg

post-14882-0-87957200-1387012531_thumb.jpg

The lights were absolutely off this past high season. I walked past daily and just shook my head..

We'll need to agree to disagree on that point. I stopped for them TOO many times. Forgot how many there are! Next. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Those two main roads in Pattaya are so short that it's hardly possible for a driver' journey to be delayed more than 10 minutes, regardless of the number and antics of the baht buses and coaches.

A delay of 10 min between which 2 points? Heavy traffic means 20 min from Nua to Soi 13. A full-on traffic jam can extend that to 30 min.

unpoliced,  as they usually are

Then you usually ride down Beach Rd. while wearing no helmet, right?

5 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

A delay of 10 min between which 2 points? Heavy traffic means 20 min from Nua to Soi 13. A full-on traffic jam can extend that to 30 min.

Then you usually ride down Beach Rd. while wearing no helmet, right?

Delay is the extra time it takes to make the journey - not the total time. The journey you describe is around 3 km. IME  it has never taken 30 mins, or even 20. I accept that such a delay is "possible" but only under exceptional circumstances.

I assume you have a dashcam. Maybe you could post a video of your 3 km 30 minute journey.

I don't ride on two wheels any more (44 years on and off in the UK. 13 years in Thailand). The last time I rode without a skid lid was around 1973 in protest to the new UK laws.

As far as I know, helmets are not compulsory when driving an SUV, riding a baht bus, or trying to cross the road.

You appear to believe that faster traffic on 2nd road and Beach road would be beneficial. I disagree.

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Delay is the extra time it takes to make the journey - not the total time. The journey you describe is around 3 km. IME  it has never taken 30 mins, or even 20. I accept that such a delay is "possible" but only under exceptional circumstances.

I assume you have a dashcam. Maybe you could post a video of your 3 km 30 minute journey.

I don't ride on two wheels any more (44 years on and off in the UK. 13 years in Thailand). The last time I rode without a skid lid was around 1973 in protest to the new UK laws.

As far as I know, helmets are not compulsory when driving an SUV, riding a baht bus, or trying to cross the road.

You appear to believe that faster traffic on 2nd road and Beach road would be beneficial. I disagree.

may I jump in .as this debate is very very important to me..I studied beach rd, 5 years now ,since they added the xtra lane..i have watched as it was backed up and slow(from various reasons ,either from the entrance to walking st curve or from double parked coaches or  other reasons) and.. as it was flowing freely..and I say '' flowing freely beach rd becomes a motorway for these coaches and most vehicle drivers who refuse to obey the speed 40 km,not to mention the noise pollution and dust it kicks up,as most coaches use very high rpm and the dust is created from under the buses and as they speed by...where as ideling and a slower pace causes less dust and noise but more of a cloud of pollution,which sits in the air and then blows east ...my family and friends all have developed the ah ah hemm..sort of chronic cough...and I am sure this is  the pollution and dust from the beach and beach/rd...2 nd road is a nightmare as it has a grade coming up to the round about ,and the noise and pollution is very bad as buses must work their engines harder ..in my humble opinion .. aloowing the poorly maintained buses with the dierespectful drivers has been the ''death blow '' to pattaya traffic problems..but I am hopefull it is about to change because with added terminal 21 traffic ..it will be ground to a stop...pattaya needs buses(but smaller cleaner buses) pattaya will always have traffic issues,,but I say ''protect beach rd'' locals and tourists need a safe quite clean environment to eat diiners at outside caffes and walk with their children..and we didn't even touch on the insane scooter speeds,another time mabey..have a good one brothers

Edited by mok199
speliing
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, chickenslegs said:

If the customers were willing to walk to the bus stops the baht buses would pick them up. But the customers prefer to wave down a baht bus where it is convenient for them.

Same for the drop off point - customers want to get off as close as possible to their destination.

This is how it has always been. It works very well for the baht bus riders, not so much for the other road users.

Part of the problem is too many baht buses in some areas - Issuing fewer permits for those routes would help.

Given a choice, I'd ban all the other vehicles. The buses are a problem and the cars shouldn't be allowed as they block the roads while only having 1 or 2 people in them. Antisocial.

The baht buses are the best thing about Pattaya.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

may I jump in .as this debate is very very important to me..I studied beach rd, 5 years now ,since they added the xtra lane..i have watched as it was backed up and slow(from various reasons ,either from the entrance to walking st curve or from double parked coaches or  other reasons) and.. as it was flowing freely..and I say '' flowing freely beach rd becomes a motorway for these coaches and most vehicle drivers who refuse to obey the speed 40 km,not to mention the noise pollution and dust it kicks up,as most coaches use very high rpm and the dust is created from under the buses and as they speed by...where as ideling and a slower pace causes less dust and noise but more of a cloud of pollution,which sits in the air and then blows east ...my family and friends all have developed the ah ah hemm..sort of chronic cough...and I am sure this is  the pollution and dust from the beach and beach/rd...2 nd road is a nightmare as it has a grade coming up to the round about ,and the noise and pollution is very bad as buses must work their engines harder ..in my humble opinion .. aloowing the poorly maintained buses with the dierespectful drivers has been the ''death blow '' to pattaya traffic problems..but I am hopefull it is about to change because with added terminal 21 traffic ..it will be ground to a stop...pattaya needs buses(but smaller cleaner buses) pattaya will always have traffic issues,,but I say ''protect beach rd'' locals and tourists need a safe quite clean environment to eat diiners at outside caffes and walk with their children..and we didn't even touch on the insane scooter speeds,another time mabey..have a good one brothers

Many of us have called for traffic to be banned on Beach Rd after 6 pm. 2nd road is wide enough to have 2 way traffic if they ban parking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Don't have a dashcam and don't intend to get one. People assume wrongly that I give a shit what they think. Living here and having ridden down Beach Rd. in all conditions I know whereof I speak. Suffice it to say that when I see traffic back up for miles on Nua and Klang, I know from experience what that jam's gonna be like and I'll avoid if possible.

So no first-hand experience on Beach Rd. Nevertheless you may overcome the illusion that there's no policing by sitting over at the Red Cat bar just up from the police station on Soi 9 and watching bikes get pulled over. Cars and even baht buses get pulled over sometimes, so you could regularly try speeding through there and when stopped, tell them to buzz off, there's no policing on Beach Rd.

It's more entertaining that having that same old conversation w/ a bar girl. Don't tell me: your last conversation w/ a bar girl was in 1992.

So you regret the widening of Beach Rd., which did speed up traffic. Shudder to think how it would be now w/o it. Indeed one of the major complaints repeated on the forum relates to the heavy traffic. Faster and more parking, good. But you needn't worry. It's merely going to get ever more clogged, with even less parking, until it's SO intolerable (to Thais, not TVF posters) the local Authorities, like those in Bangkok, will have to come up some major improvement, like real bus service or the touted tram. They'll of course be combing through all the ace solutions put forth at least weekly by our TVF Traffic Engineers since 2003 and consider each carefully before making a final decision. Lacking the qualifications to be an ace Traffic Engineer, I make no predictions but roll with whatever is. :smile:

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

People assume wrongly that I give a shit what they think.

Bit pointless having a coversation with you then.

But here goes ...

So no first-hand experience on Beach Rd. Nevertheless you may overcome the illusion that there's no policing by sitting over at the Red Cat bar just up from the police station on Soi 9 and watching bikes get pulled over. Cars and even baht buses get pulled over sometimes, so you could regularly try speeding through there and when stopped, tell them to buzz off, there's no policing on Beach Rd.

You're suggesting that I don't have 1st hand experience as I no longer ride a motorcycle.

I've been driving, riding baht buses and walking in Pattaya for over 13 years - doesn't that count?

Also, "policing" 3km of the busiest and (arguably) most important road in town should comprise more than putting on a show that can be viewed from the Red Cat Bar. How about the illegal parking, red light jumping, reckless driving/riding, etc. going on along the remaining 2.9 km of Beach Road?

It's more entertaining that having that same old conversation w/ a bar girl. Don't tell me: your last conversation w/ a bar girl was in 1992.

You seem easily entertained.

The topic is Baht Buses and enforced bus stops. I have my opinion, which is that baht buses are beneficial but the bus stops are not. IMHO one of the benefits of having random drop off/pick baht buses up is to slow down the traffic.

I doubt very much that on those rare occasions when it takes 30 minutes to drive 3km along Beach Road that the baht buses are the cause of the hold up.

You have a different opinion, which is fine, but it seems that you can not express your opinion without disparaging those of others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You're suggesting that I don't have 1st hand experience as I no longer ride a motorcycle.

I've been driving, riding baht buses and walking in Pattaya for over 13 years - doesn't that count?

The discussion was about helmets in particular and the first-hand experience referred to being caught out not wearing a helmet, which would emphasize the point that there's policing going on. But I did urge you to speed down Beach Rd and discover in that way. Walking and baht bus riding hasn't been doing it for you, you see.

Also, "policing" 3km of the busiest and (arguably) most important road in town should comprise more than putting on a show that can be viewed from the Red Cat Bar. How about the illegal parking, red light jumping, reckless driving/riding, etc. going on along the remaining 2.9 km of Beach Road?

If you'd just obviously speed by the station as I'm suggesting you'd discover that it's indeed more than a show, though it can also be a show if you choose to see it that way. :smile:

And your walking and baht bus riding hasn't enabled you to see the parking violators being caught. Saw a couple of guys' bikes get chained recently in front of Starbucks. There's a reason people aren't parking in front of the red and white striped curbs--which is so not normal. I wouldn't do it. I've had my bike chained on two occasions already and paid the fines.

There are no red lights on Beach Rd. except the pedestrian lights. They are jumped regularly; they obviously aren't taken all that seriously by the cops . . . mostly when no one is obviously in the crosswalk or intending to cross or endangered by the jump. No reports of tourists being injured, BTW. Reckless driving will never be eliminated from Thai roads . . . you'll see it everywhere. Which doesn't mean there's no policing, as you'll discover if you have an accident after reckless driving yourself.

You seem easily entertained.

All is relative. But if I'm walking down Beach Rd and have the impulse for a cold one in a beach bar, that spot does offer a bit of additional entertainment, another ring of the circus. I lead a relaxed life. You'll learn there that the police pull over Thais just as well as farangs, contrary to forum myth. Some of the characters getting pulled over--you wonder how they possibly thought they'd get away w/ riding down Beach Rd. without being pulled over. :)  Do try it and learn, since you're, you know, walking around.

The topic is Baht Buses and enforced bus stops. I have my opinion, which is that baht buses are beneficial but the bus stops are not. IMHO one of the benefits of having random drop off/pick baht buses up is to slow down the traffic.

Slow down the traffic and create accidents and near accidents, yes. They're a constant hazard, esp to motorcyclists. The stops, if used, will be helpful.

I doubt very much that on those rare occasions when it takes 30 minutes to drive 3km along Beach Road that the baht buses are the cause of the hold up.

When nobody's moving, baht buses are just part of the jam of course. Taking half of them out might improve things slightly but that ain't happenin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

The discussion was about helmets in particular and the first-hand experience referred to being caught out not wearing a helmet, which would emphasize the point that there's policing going on.

I think we must be on different sides of a kind of time/space continuum. I was under the impression that the topic was baht buses and bus stops.

There are no red lights on Beach Rd. except the pedestrian lights. They are jumped regularly; they obviously aren't taken all that seriously by the cops

I'll concede that there is some form of policing going on along Beach road, but your comment above suggests to me that the priorities are all wrong.

...You'll learn there that the police pull over Thais just as well as farangs, contrary to forum myth. Some of the characters getting pulled over--you wonder how they possibly thought they'd get away w/ riding down Beach Rd. without being pulled over. :)  Do try it and learn, since you're, you know, walking around.

That myth is not of my making and nothing to do with the topic. You are just trying to peg me as one of the Pattaya moaners - which is very far from the truth.

You want me to try riding along Beach road with no helmet, after riding for over 40 years wearing one (many of those years in Thailand - Pattaya mostly)? What are you hoping I would learn exactly, that tarmac is hard and scratchy?

Slow down the traffic and create accidents and near accidents, yes. They're a constant hazard, esp to motorcyclists. The stops, if used, will be helpful.

Well now you have come back to the topic. I don't agree that slower traffic creates more accidents. Driver behaviour is (IMHO) the main cause of most traffic accidents (everywhere). At least slower traffic results in less serious injuries - and pedestrians on a crossing stand a better chance of reaching the other side of the road in one piece.

When nobody's moving, baht buses are just part of the jam of course. Taking half of them out might improve things slightly but that ain't happenin'.

I made the same point earlier in the topic.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Within topics, relevant subtopics arise and are discussed in the normal course of a thread. Blowing smoke doesn't obscure the fact that you know that as well as I do. You made the point about policing originally, not me.

Good. Remarkable progress has been made, slowly and painfully as it was. Now TVF posters will never agree w/ Thai police priorities and love righteously to bash them. I don't bother. They are what they are, but then what exactly are they?  More important to be clear about the whole picture if you live here; a biased perception leading to distortions and exaggerations isn't helpful on a number of levels.

It is hard and scratchy, ain't it? No, as I said, that modest suggestion was to help you demonstrate to yourself that there's policing on Beach Rd, a point you've now conceded. Then you pointed out there's no law about wearing helmets while driving a car, so I suggested your speeding to make the discovery. There's also policing on 2nd Rd, BTW, as you could discover by making a left turn on red onto Central. :smile:  Somebody did that not too long ago and squawked here about the consequences and the unfairness of it all.

Slower is but one of the factors you see. Faster but more predictable traffic is better for everyone than slower but less predictable. The main point about the baht buses and the stops is that the stops, if properly used, will appreciably help diminish the dangerously erratic behavior of the baht buses responsible for confusion and countless accidents (or near accidents) over the years. I've seen them personally and almost been involved in them. For example I once watched a baht bus pull over arbitrarily near Soi 7 into a motorcyclist and send him into a row of parked bikes, with expected consequences. Yes! The driver was at fault but without that freedom, with having to wait for the stop and pull in w/ routine caution appropriate to A Stop--and other traffic expecting him to do that--then it likely wouldn't have happened.

I remember years ago telling a sweet young thang riding pillion, "someday a baht bus is going to kill me!" Stops will of course be less convenient for baht bus riders, but

:violin:

So many tourists should be doing a bit more walking anyway. :smile: Walking in Pattaya really helps one keep the old edge, eh. Kinda like a video game.

That about wraps it up. We done?

Interesting; as is the norm; but you have to factor in Thais, who are the majority of baht bus users and are lazier and more averse to walking than any tourist or expat. That is not a criticism of Thais, just a fact, from observing their behaviours over countless journeys.

Of course, their opinion counts far more than any on this forum and they can prevail if they are concerned enough to kick up a fuss about the matter, even if it is counter to logic. I feel that is how it should be anyway as most Thais using the bus need the bus to get to and from work. Their views must take precedence over those on their way to the beach, to the mall or to a bar.

They have "form" in this regard. It was protests from local Thais that saved the Dolphin roundabout from demolition last year.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

That about wraps it up. We done?

I should have realised a lot earlier in this conversation that you are only here to score points and prove you are the font of all knowledge and experience.

This should have been the biggest clue ...

10 hours ago, JSixpack said:

People assume wrongly that I give a shit what they think.

It’s pretty clear to me that you are not willing to consider any point of view but your own.

Yes, we are done. Congratulations.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, champers said:

Interesting; as is the norm; but you have to factor in Thais, who are the majority of baht bus users and are lazier and more averse to walking than any tourist or expat. That is not a criticism of Thais, just a fact, from observing their behaviours over countless journeys.

Of course, their opinion counts far more than any on this forum and they can prevail if they are concerned enough to kick up a fuss about the matter, even if it is counter to logic. I feel that is how it should be anyway as most Thais using the bus need the bus to get to and from work. Their views must take precedence over those on their way to the beach, to the mall or to a bar.

They have "form" in this regard. It was protests from local Thais that saved the Dolphin roundabout from demolition last year.

You're exactly right. Their country, they run it as they see fit, and so be it. Whatever they come up with on this issue--or don't :smile:--roll with flow and continue enjoying the unique experience of living here. Cheers!                                                   

When a baht bus driver spot a potential passenger he will honk his horn and stop. It has been like this for 30 years and it will probably continue for another 30 years.  It's money lost if he is told to not stop so basically this plan is a big failure from the start . 

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

are there cctv cameras watching over drivers at pedestrian crossings?

If not there should be....

Given that would earn the cops big bucks, the only surprise is that it wasn't done years ago.

After all, they've been insisting on CCTV for restaurants and bars for many years already.

I suspect it's not done for the usual reasons.

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2018 at 11:15 PM, InMyShadow said:
On 3/24/2018 at 10:04 PM, JSixpack said:

That wasn't the case in the top of peak season this year. In the past the lights were pretty much off most of the time including the peak season but not always. To counteract some of the nonsense, here's pic of the pedestrian light on 2nd Rd working and the traffic stopped for it:

post-14882-0-38729700-1387012378_thumb.jpg

post-14882-0-87957200-1387012531_thumb.jpg

The lights were absolutely off this past high season. I walked past daily and just shook my head..

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I often cross at places with pedestrian signal on Beach Road, and cars now mainly stop at red light. :smile:

18 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I should have realised a lot earlier in this conversation that you are only here to score points and prove you are the font of all knowledge and experience.

Actually you should merely have realized a lot earlier that you might not be seeing the issues clearly. This should been the biggest clue:

On 3/25/2018 at 12:02 AM, chickenslegs said:

unpoliced,  as they usually are

And I figured once you'd run out of arguments you'd resort the usual TVF sore loser personal attack. :smile:

It’s pretty clear to me that you are not willing to consider any point of view but your own.

It's pretty clear to everyone that I considered each of your points in more detail than you're likely to encounter from any other poster on the forum. Unfortunately they turned out to be either false or unconvincing. Otherwise I'd have agreed with them.

Since I'm back in the thread I might mention another point in favor of the stops. The gap between the curb and the baht bus is dangerous for passengers getting on and off the baht buses. That gap may extend more than a car width when the bus stops beside a parked car. In theory motorcyclists should stop but many are reluctant to do so and try to pass the baht bus through the gap while passengers are in it. Some don't even look, assuming it's safe, when a bike hasn't stopped. A group might be standing there while one attempts to pay, perhaps negotiating, and impatient bikers try to squeeze past. Stops would eliminate that issue as well for greater safety.

• Haha 1

Actually you should merely have realized a lot earlier that you might not be seeing the issues clearly. This should been the biggest clue:

And I figured once you'd run out of arguments you'd resort the usual TVF sore loser personal attack. :smile:

It's pretty clear to everyone that I considered each of your points in more detail than you're likely to encounter from any other poster on the forum. Unfortunately they turned out to be either false or unconvincing. Otherwise I'd have agreed with them.

Since I'm back in the thread I might mention another point in favor of the stops. The gap between the curb and the baht bus is dangerous for passengers getting on and off the baht buses. That gap may extend more than a car width when the bus stops beside a parked car. In theory motorcyclists should stop but many are reluctant to do so and try to pass the baht bus through the gap while passengers are in it. Some don't even look, assuming it's safe, when a bike hasn't stopped. A group might be standing there while one attempts to pay, perhaps negotiating, and impatient bikers try to squeeze past. Stops would eliminate that issue as well for greater safety.

Your final paragraph assumes that all spaces allocated as bus stops will remain free. This does not happen now; cabs and baht buses lie in wait for customers, one coach can take up an entire bus stop. Delivery vehicles, mobile stalls, parked cars all take up space.

Police enforcement is sporadic at best. The one exception seems to be Beach Road, moreso the nearer you get to the Soi 9 station.

Edited by champers
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Your final paragraph assumes that all spaces allocated as bus stops will remain free. This does not happen now; cabs and baht buses lie in wait for customers, one coach can take up an entire bus stop. Delivery vehicles, mobile stalls, parked cars all take up space.

Police enforcement is sporadic at best. The one exception seems to be Beach Road, moreso the nearer you get to the Soi 9 station.

Yep, to illustrate the point I had the best case scenario in mind. Does depend on police enforcement of course--which is never perfect. I'd say on Beach Rd. the cops are doing a halfway decent job of enforcing a few rules, misguided as they may seem. Found that out firsthand, in fact. In theory the baht bus drivers would help keep the stops clear for themselves if they're really required to use them. They aren't parking and waiting--mostly--on their regular routes but continually cruise. As always the effectiveness of the system depends on how well it's implemented.

On 23/03/2018 at 1:00 PM, mok199 said:

..... beach and second rd should be rid of these baht buses completely ,and use a set of efficient smaller shuttle style buses with  respectful drivers who obey laws...the age of a taxi to your feet and baht bus drivers who think they have entitlement are gone.Pattaya is choking to death from traffic.mabey its time to walk a few paces, have cleaner air and send a message to old minds...the enviorment comes first....next the tour bus insanity needs to be addressed...small steps

yes but these ARE PROPER TAXIS not baht buses so you can not compare.

And I HAVE BEEN SINGAPORE MANY TIMES and seen the taxi stands I have used the taxis myself