General refuses to promise end to deaths of ‘punished’ conscripts

webfact

19 hours ago, Eligius said:

'Conscripts receive about Bt10,000 per month for salary' - to be paid into a bank account in the Great Beyond after the poor, physically abused 'recruit' has been bullied and maltreated unto  Death ...

And what an unbelievable statement from a General - about not being able to 'guarantee that trainees will not die' as a result of their 'training'. My God! Talk about a 13th-World country!!

Idiots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dual nationals could instead join a proper army on a decent wage with a credible redress system in order to side step this lark. They'd also pick up a trade and learn to drive(!)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

It should be bought back into many Western countries... Society in general is going downhill fast, no respect anymore, for anything !!

Which is exactly why it wouldn't work. From the 1960s people have been encouraged to exercise their rights and stand up to petty authority. Now you want to slap a cheap uniform on them, make them march up and down and sweep up puddles? Isn't going to happen. The 'Because I said so' ship has long since sailed.

• Like 2

Whilst it’s probably true that he can’t primes no deaths etc.... it’s absolutely amazing that he made the statement... absolutely amazing, and yet another example of bringing shame on Thailand.

a more responsible statement would be something along the lines of anyone participating in unregulated or unjust punishment or treatment of others, would he prosecuted to the fullest extend of military law..... and that these actions will not be tolerated

• Like 2

Broadcast and Publish 'THIS' around the world so other Nations can form their own opinion of how 'civilized' the Army is HERE....... Another 'General' which heads this nation............

Anybody could draw their own conclusions.............

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Scorecard.

I am having a hard time getting my head around your story because I was a recruit in that same era and I never saw/experienced any kind of hazing/bastardization in any of the units I was in.

Were you one of the 50 nut-cracking recruits?

You and I both mate, feel free to read my reply in this thread. 

• Thanks 1

Can we get this topic out on Facebook and maybe other public media?????   I don't know how to do Facebook or I would do it.......... This is something for 'all the world' to know about............. It makes me think back to when I was a young man in the 1960's and stories I would hear about RUSSIA.....RED COMMUNIST Russia........ Stories of the Police State and the atrocities upon the civilians (and probably conscripts as well).......

As I grew older Russia ended 'Communism' and I can still remember my brother (God rest his Soul) saying one day.... " You've heard that Russia got rid of Communism"  he said,.....  "Well, just have a look around you and you will see where 'IT' went"........

If you are fortunate enough to be in this "Police State" and call it home....... Then "Have a look around" and you may see where 'IT' has gone......... This topic seems a good warning of what is to come.........

Ah well ....never mind ....karma will level it out in the end.

One day the headlines might read :

The people refuse to promise an end to the deaths of punished generals.

Edited by Denim
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

Disgusting. He should be dishonorably discharged, without delay.

Given that this is Thailand , what odds would you give on that happening.

The worse they are , the higher their kudos amongst their peers , and the more rapid their promotion.

• Thanks 1

On 23/03/2018 at 3:26 PM, baboon said:

It's simply dreadful. God knows the abuse of young soldiers would be unconscionable enough if they were there of their own free will, but these lads are not. Conscription should be ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_Kingdom

"In the UK in November 1960 the last men entered service, as call-ups formally ended on 31 December 1960, and the last National Servicemen left the armed forces in May 1963."

I can still remember that quite a few of my instructors as a Boy Entrant in the RAF during 1960/61 were National Servicemen.

That however was 57 years ago.

IMHO Thailand does not need conscription but a well paid, well trained professional military of about the size of the UK armed forces. They could retire 90% of them and the military would get much better.

As an option here is a link to an FOI request from somebody in 2015.

It makes interseting reading though it is a bit outdated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/412939/PUBLIC_1425405075.pdf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Could make the same comment about your idol and some approx. 100 young soldiers who suffocated to death in the South of Thailand.

Did your Idol take any action? Did he even acknowledge the deaths? NO and NO. 

Pathetic...

What hundred young soldiers were they?

Do you have a link to that?

Odd that this would be said out loud but he deserves credit for telling the truth. He also added that the coral form of punishment would not be condoned but the lead line was so brutal it is getting all of the reaction. 

3 minutes ago, chama said:

Odd that this would be said out loud but he deserves credit for telling the truth. He also added that the coral form of punishment would not be condoned but the lead line was so brutal it is getting all of the reaction. 

I don't think any 'credit is deserved' for telling this 'truth'....... He is admitting that he is aware of it and doesn't have any thoughts about changing it.............

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I don't think any 'credit is deserved' for telling this 'truth'....... He is admitting that he is aware of it and doesn't have any thoughts about changing it.............

Perhaps...and you certainly have a valid point, but you already knew he had no plans to change it, although he did say it wouldn't be allowed. Not sure that point is entirely true, especially if the violator has money. But in my opinion, it is better that he is not just lying as is so often the case. By putting it out there he is potentially calling for the public to insist in change. Of course, this is only my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, soalbundy said:

That's one bit of corruption that I like here, pay 30,000 Baht to avoid your son having anything to do with these morons.

Going rate, at this moment, is Baht 80,000- now.

That's if anybody in the Military wants to take you up on your offer but I doubt this.

Corruption, jailtime etc. etc.

Used to be easy but no more. :hit-the-fan:

15 hours ago, Kimber said:

I call BULLSHIT. 

Recruit Basic Training Platoons numbered an even 30 Recruits in the early 70's at all 3 RTB's in existence during and just after the Vietnam war.   That 30 member Platoon strength continues to this day. 

If what you described had occurred it would have been reported to the Recruit Company Officer Commanding (OC) and by the recruits themselves, as many of the "Nashos" (National Servicemen) who were renowned for whistle blowing to their local Members of Parliament and their own families. 

By the late 60's early 70's the Australian Army was very aware of the effect of negative PR , and any SNCO (Sergeant) who had dealt with his Platoon as you described; would have been Court Martialed, not something a career Soldier would invite.

Since WW1 the Australian Military Regulations (AMR...now DFLMA ) in regard to discipline and punishment have been prescribed in detail, and woe betide any Officer, Warrant Officer or Sergeant who exceeds them. 

The Chaplain you mentioned, would have had a direct line of communication (still protocol to this day) with the Commanding Officer (CO) of the Recruit Battalion; and was/is under legal obligation to inform the CO of such heinous misconduct described in your account.  

Additionally the unit Medical Officer (MO) would have been made aware of the injuries inflicted (can you imagine the effect of a Baseball bat blow to the genitals ?), because the Recruits sustaining such a punishment would have been incapacitated enough to report on Sick Parade at the Regiment Aid Post (RAP) the next morning....providing they could still walk.   

Again the MO would have been under legal obligation to report such injuries to so many Men, to the unit CO; who would have ordered an immediate formal investigation.  

The phones in Canberra would have been running hot. 

Considering all of the above, will your reply claim a cover-up ?  

If so how ? 

When the Whitlam government came to power and called for submissions regarding Australian Defence Force (ADF) improprieties, why wasn't your case highlighted ? 

BTW I was a career Soldier 1972 to 2007 in the Australian Army, and your service was ? 

Well, I have to say that Australia (in the early 70's) was way ahead of the British Armed Forces at the time. But, to make it clear, I never witnessed any one-on-one (or many-on-one) assaults happen coming from the instructors, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. What I did see was, what I suppose would be called today, extensive physical and mental abuse during the training process. Can't speak for others but for me it never did any harm. It worked for me as it instilled discipline and teamwork (the absolute purpose of initial training) into an unruly Northern Irish teenager.

But in those days it didn't end at training. I have seen people mess up big-time and taken 'round the back' and dealt with. Generally that person would never make that mistake again and at the end of the day, a punch in the face hurts for a bit, but 14 days additional work, which would normally be given if going down the official route, hurts for 14 days. It was a different world back then, but, as stated before never did me any harm. I always thought that after 23 years it was the right time to get out; I had been offered my '1st 5th' at the time but decided not to take it. Seeing some of the little princes (and princesses) that were being deployed in my later years of service, and what their expectations were decided for me. "Sorry, the 'swimmer of the watch' isn't available to save the man overboard at the moment because he has just washed his hair" sort of summed it up for me.