5 vs 1: French tourist attacked in Pattaya [VIDEO]

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

the other solution is more police on the beat but maybe its a step too far in thailand 

The story I heard was that the number of police was limited in relation to the size of the areas permanent population. Obviously a tourist destination doesn't work with that restriction. Hence the supplementing with volunteer types. In Pattaya you rarely seem to see police out of regular office hours. People pour into town from Sukhumvit early morning and early evening without the slightest concern of traffic police, 3 up and without helmets,  They can sometimes get them to do traffic stops at 3am, lucrative shift!

I wouldn't panic anf change my habits on the strength of this story - credibility on a scale of 1-10, probably about 1, for all the reasons given above. I don't think the Pattaya version of les Apaches Parisienne have taken over just yet. Anyway, no doubt it will all come out in the wash, hope we get a follow up story.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:02 AM, jacko45k said:

The story I heard was that the number of police was limited in relation to the size of the areas permanent population. Obviously a tourist destination doesn't work with that restriction. Hence the supplementing with volunteer types. In Pattaya you rarely seem to see police out of regular office hours. People pour into town from Sukhumvit early morning and early evening without the slightest concern of traffic police, 3 up and without helmets,  They can sometimes get them to do traffic stops at 3am, lucrative shift!

i have never seen a police officer on the beat on soi bahkao in 10 years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2018 at 5:18 PM, johng said:

First and last time ?

Shouldn't he be wearing a shirt whilst out in public ?

Maybe get some more "defensive" tattoos to ward off any future attacks.

to be honest he looks like a total idiot the french guy looks like he has been on drugs ,maybe he started argueing with a small thai guy and acted stupid on drugs so another 4 thai guys gave him a wake up call , i was in stitches myself the way he reacted on the video to finding he had a scratch on his back 

Edited by hottrader77

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:11 AM, InMyShadow said:
On 3/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, wgdanson said:
Did he not tell the police his name and age? Not much injuries for a 5 man attack.

His "eyebrow" got hurt

Yeah. But he's got a huge mono-brow.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:01 AM, hyku1147 said:

No. They have decreased in both frequency and severity.

Most of the time, a Farang makes a Thai lose face. Loudmouths get away with it in the Anglo West, but it dosn't go unanswered here. On the other hand, Farangs need to be very careful in certain night clubs because the staff can react with little provocation. That being said, I have had 5 loudmouth confrontations  in the last year, 2 in Cambodia, and three in Pattaya - and they were all with rude Farangs.

And reading the thread on the Issan forum "Life in a quiet Issan Village' things seem much worse in the sticks.

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Frenchman told police that this is his first trip to Thailand and the first time he had visited Pattaya.

second part of this sentence couldn't be more unnecessary:coffee1:

I wonder if the BIB who took his statement also felt the need to add that part?!

On 3/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously? I don't recollect that, but I can't say you are wrong as I don't have the stats.

Certainly never as bad in the 90s.

It's all gone wrong for Pattaya. Far from becoming the Riviera of SEA, it's a rather decrepit town with loads of ugly buildings, some of which won't be finished, decaying public infrastructure- pier, marina, car parking building, a filthy beach with toxic water, visible crime, chaotic traffic, more tourists than can be handled safely, and no suggestion that the myriad problems will be sorted any time soon, if ever.

And those are just the positive attributes..... ? 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, Just Weird said:

Not when they change their version of events, as he did, it isn't.  That makes one version of the events deliberately wrong and makes him a liar.

He didn't change his version of events. The Thai woman gave a different version of events to him. She clearly didn't want to be interviewed and played everything down. Quite possibly her son was one of the assailants.

5 vs. 1 is pretty normal here. A young Thai guy will never go 1 on 1 with a young farang, no matter how much of a weakling the farang looks. Thais like to have the odds stacked heavily in their favour, before they take any challenge.

Are they inveterate cowards or is it "Thainess"? Up to you.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On March 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM, hyku1147 said:

Most of the time, a Farang makes a Thai lose face. Loudmouths get away with it in the Anglo West, but it dosn't go unanswered here. On the other hand, Farangs need to be very careful in certain night clubs because the staff can react with little provocation. That being said, I have had 5 loudmouth confrontations  in the last year, 2 in Cambodia, and three in Pattaya - and they were all with rude Farangs.

Nah, thais can be dicks just like everyone else in the world.

it just does not make the news as often, dick

Edited by Dick Crank

On 3/25/2018 at 11:31 PM, Trouble said:

You are correct. It's all gone bad in Pattaya. It's a classic example of how over building and under regulation can ruin a place. I first visited there in the mid 70's and it was reasonably nice. Yes the bars were there but Walking Street seemed to have more shops catering to tourists and there weren't so many drunks coming out of bars at 2 AM. Over the years the number of bars, whores, ladyboys, etc. in Pattaya increased because everyone is trying to make a buck.  In addition, more low class tourists now getting drunk and trying to make their way to their hotels in the early hours of the morning because the police seem unwilling to curb the drinking after 2 AM.  The beaches once nice are now polluted and overcrowded with deck chairs, jet ski scams and people selling everything under the sun.  I haven't visited there in years.  One doesn't go to Pattaya for the beach. It's only advantage is that it is close to Bangkok for tourists.

This city is just way  too exaggerated. I can understand the 20+ year olds getting excited about drinking away, partying until the next day and the being away from "the same old" with their buddies.. But at the same token, if they cross the line and become too loud, they will get roughed up as some locals here can't tolerate over the top behavior the way it's tolerated in party-towns elsewhere.

Bar fine and "fun" with an "8"(not a "4" from the beach rd)costs almost same or more than many countries.

By the time you add lodging, transfers and the round-trip flight to the bill, a 10-day trip with 10 sweethearts you spend each night with, will actually cost you a whopping $500+ each.

On 3/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, hyku1147 said:

5 confrontations? In one year ? Omg ! 

I haven’t had any , no one has looked for a fight or argument with me, why you ?

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, wgdanson said:

Did he not tell the police his name and age? Not much injuries for a 5 man attack.

When you have been robbed and unconscious. 

What more would the assailants do?

It's a chance robbery, in soi buchao, not a thai mafia hit job.

Most thai men fight like girls anyway. 

You need a few ladyboys to make any serious impact. 

• 2 months later...