Green Book - a never-before-asked question!

Tapster

Yes, I have searched TV and, though I can hardly believe it, there is no question like mine, and no answer to my question.

My situation cannot be unique, though.

I bought a scooter from a farang. I was given the green book but before I could get my name on it the guy moved away and I completely lost contact with him.

I have a bill of sale

The guy's name is on the book, so he didn't steal it or anything.

My questions:   

What is the legal position if I want to sell the scooter? I mean, obviously on paper it still belongs to the farang who sold it to me, but can I do anything to change that?

Will it affect the price?

Thanks in advance.    :smile:

Edited by Tapster

@johng

Thanks John. :smile:

Your answer is the answer I'd expect if I didn't have a Green Book at all. I have sold such a bike in the past and it went for a really knock-down price. 

However, if that's what you think then I'll bear it in mind.

The problem is that the buyer has no way to confirm that the bike is not stolen and he can never transfer it in his name. So i would assume that a bike with a green book as in your case is just worth slightly more than a motorbike without the green book.

• Like 1

@jackdd

I'm pretty sure that having the green book and a signed bill of sale (and, although I didn't mention it,  a copy of the sellers passport) is proof enough that the bike isn't stolen.

What I'm taking from this conversation is that I will have to reduce the price, but certainly not to no-green-book levels.

In the end, we'll see!

Thanks all.  :smile:

You have some of the critical documents, green book, bill of sale, copy of seller passport, you are missing power of attorney letter and copy of visa page of his passport, signed transfer form etc.). Ask a bike a shop to do the transfer for you, they can do wonders with the right amount of tea money... lol  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agusts, you're talking my language, 

I have the POA forms that were waiting for him to sign. 

I will talk to my friendly mechanic. His morals are very flexible! 

:smile:

If I can make my bike legit, nobody suffers and I win. I can't see the problem.