Australia admit ball tampering in third test against South Africa

Australia admit ball tampering in third test against South Africa

By Nick Said

800x800 (9).jpg

Cricket - South Africa vs Australia - Third Test - Newlands, Cape Town, South Africa - March 24, 2018 Australia's Cameron Bancroft dives for the ball REUTERS/Mike Hutchings

CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - Australia captain Steve Smith has said his side deliberately tried to tamper with the condition of the ball on the third day of the third test against South Africa at Newlands on Saturday in an orchestrated attempt to gain an advantage.

Batsmen Cameron Bancroft has been charged by the International Cricket Council and Smith told reporters that it was a deliberate plan from the "leadership group" of the side, but added he would not step down as captain.

"The leadership group knew about it, we spoke about it at lunch," Smith told a news conference.

"I am not proud of what has happened. It’s not in the spirit of the game, my integrity and the integrity of the team has been damaged and rightfully so. It’s not on and it won’t happen again, I can promise you."

Bancroft was spoken to by the umpires on the field regarding an object that television footage appeared to show him take out of his pocket before shining the ball.

He was then shown putting the object down the front of his trousers before speaking to the on-field officials Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth.

Bancroft turned out his pockets and showed the umpires a black piece of cloth and play continued.

South Africa opened up a potentially match-winning lead on day three, closing on 238 for five in their second innings to extend their advantage to 294 runs.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-25

1 hour ago, Topdoc said:

The yellow scratching chip is of a type developed by Russia. It was therefore the Russian state who provided the yellow chip. There's no other plausible explanation.

Just on the news now he had some some of glue and dirt being rubbed on one face of the ball to try to make it move through the air in a different unpredictable way.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thian said:

He's giving whole Australia a bad name by this....what an idiot.

Absolutely correct Thian. How could you trust an Australian after this? I think this could be the nail in the coffin for any hopes of cricket to be an Olympic sport.

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just on the news now he had some some of glue and dirt being rubbed on one face of the ball to try to make it move through the air in a different unpredictable way.

Ball tampering!! Nothing less. I'm an Englishman, and although I am patriotic, to me the integrity of cricket is more important than Brexit or even Russian stuff.

I travelled to Sabina Park to watch WI v England. Remember that game?! Cracks on the pitch that one could put a hand down. Went to National Stadium to watch Regae boys entertain Sweden that night.

With 4 days to kill 'cause of the abandonment, I went touring around Kingston and met the third wife. 

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

It's disgraceful. Anyone remotely connected with it should be fined, sacked and not be able to play any form of cricket for 5 years.

Make that for life! Send out a strong message to all would-be cricket cheats.

• Like 2

The Aussie mentality of win at all costs has been evident in their sport for years and it puts pressure on youngsters to do likewise............and as for the quote about "spirit of the game"?? 

"Australian cricket fans want to be proud of their cricket team," Sutherland (Cricket Australia Chief) said. "I feel this morning they have every reason to wake up and not be proud of the team."

"One of the unique things about the game of cricket, is it is to be played not only within the laws of the game, but in the spirit of the game. And, activities on the field yesterday, are neither within the laws of the game or the spirit of the game."

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

It's disgraceful. Anyone remotely connected with it should be fined, sacked and not be able to play any form of cricket for 5 years.

Exactly, and they should send this guy home to Oz on the first cargo-plane flying back today where he would get yelled at by waiting cricketfans.

And he's even so stupid to do it in front of an HD camera, what a jerk.

• Haha 1

Why oh why did they think it was necessary to cheat to beat South Africa and more importantly put careers and County reputations at risk to do this.

I am upset about this and its left a very nasty taste in my mouth. Its on par with being cheated on by your missus. Once the trust is gone..........

Thank god the footy season has just started.  

• Like 1

Its quite obvious that Smith must go, yet when he said he won't step down he clearly has no real conception of the gravity of what he and his team has done!  Warner as vice caption was obviously in on it and must go too along with any other players.

If Lehman was, as has been said,  unaware imho he shouldn't have to step down.  How was he to know his caption and some senior players were in fact nothing more than low life cheats. Theres nothing yet to suggest that Lehman is anything other than a fine team manager that has been betrayed by some of his players

• Like 2

Was interesting listening to the commentary last night and Haysman wanting Bancroft Hanged.

Short memories,Du Plessis has been found guilty twice and Philander as well in the past of the same thing.

If the ban is is only worthy of a match fee fine it cant be  considered to serious although i don't condone it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Make that for life! Send out a strong message to all would-be cricket cheats.

This is very rare in international cricket and a real shame to come from the Australians.  However it is not reflective of Australia or Australians.  It could have happened in any team from anywhere and taints the game far more than the team involved.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

This is very rare in international cricket and a real shame to come from the Australians.  However it is not reflective of Australia or Australians.  It could have happened in any team from anywhere and taints the game far more than the team involved.

England, South Africa and Pakistan have all been caught ball tampering in the past. Welcome to the club.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Let's not get carried away.

it is not the ball tampering that is the problem

Australia has a committee to plan cheating and Smith didn't seem to have a problem with it!!!

making a rookie carry it out is un Australian

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm as gutted as the next Aussie but life bans is way over the top IMO.

I can see your point will. I'll admit to being over-zealous with my reaction. But I was shocked to know that Australian crickerers would stoop so low. So,,,,, after second and third thoughts, out with the life-time ban that I originally proposed, and in with a fine and slap on the wrist.

The Aussie public will be the real executioners here.