Thai govt unlikely to ban deadly farm chemical

webfact

Question: can someone tell me what an "organic or bio food" is? Someone believe really that some food like that exists? Noooooooooo is impossible the world is already full of poisons and chemical shit. I'm happy to be already 65, I got generally a quite good life so far...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So let the countries that have banned any chemicals that Thailand still uses give  3 month to stop or

they will ban imports of any products exposed....... Now I have their attention 

Incidently anyone know how much Paraquat China uses ???

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I dont know how much the Chinese use, but for sure they use some.

They produce 80% of global paraquat and most use internally. Not for long though. China will ban paraquat use by 2020. Now they will have to depend on export markets and Thailand is a big consumer and also where lobbyists and politicians can be bought easily. Perfect match. 

• Like 2

Guest Jerry787

I dont understand the Government, they say to love the people of the Kingdom of Thailand, but allow them to be daily poisoned by very dangerous chemicals on their food.

Prime Minister, prove that you really love your people BAN paraquat !

4 hours ago, BuaBS said:

PANEL DOMINATED BY AGRO-INDUSTRIAL INTERESTS WILL DECIDE ON PROPOSED BAN

I wonder how they will vote .

It’s like Mansanto is running the show world wide like it writes its own legislation in the US. But I understand paraquat is manufactured in China, India & the patent is held by a Swiss Corp. 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Paraquat is the NO1 method used to commit suicide in the Philippines.

That surely says something about its toxicity.

Dont forget to wash those veggies well.

Why would you wash paraquat off your veggies when if  it was on them already theyd  be dead??

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

So in truth the Government is allowing its population to be harmed and possibly suffer terrible health risks because it does not have the GUTS or the WILL to ban a chemical substance , known to be harmful to Humankind. 

WELL DONE NCPO. now we really know what you care about and it is NOT THE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort of ,but its  also bred a nation to not think ,where "anything goes" mai pen rai etc etc poor education all round, unfortunately to educate them properly would lead to the downfall of those who must be obeyed, this would also lead to the downfall of that which cant be mentioned.

I read a study a while back that it makes frogs gay. These idiots around where we are eat the frogs. You are what you eat i guess. My wife runs a farm/s and wont touch the stuff. She weeds and cuts grass and we are talking 30rai. 

Thais are stupid plain and simple. Its incredible toxic. Any googling can show foreign and local studies. Where i live people spray there entire houses so no grass will grow. They sit around in this muck which also sits in the ground for 10+ years. No wonder the death rate in my street alone is something that should be investigated. Just a couple families but average 5deaths per year.

I want to see the pm drink a glass and show the people its safe!

I have proof of the soil this stuff is used on drastically depletes nutrients also. 1000 bananas wont grow on an old sugar cane field my wife uses . But all around that no problems!

As another person stated the idiots using it usually just throw the bags and containers all over the place. Just absolute idiots and laugh at my wife and me even out there cutting grass like we are the stupid ones. Lazy pricks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

THE chances of winning government approval to ban paraquat, a toxic chemical widely used in agriculture as a herbicide for weed and grass control, are relatively slim

Two possible reasons for that "slim:"

• "The close connection of Thailand’s government to chemical giants is seen as one of the problems the change to an environmental friendly farming is moving slowly in Thailand." 09-21-2017
  • "China government has now revealed to prohibit the use and sales of any paraquat formulation in China by September 2020. As a result, export will be the only remaining option for Chinese paraquat manufacturers to sell their products."

http://www.cnchemicals.com/Press/90113-Thailand’s proposed ban on paraquat and chlorpyrifos affects China .html

China might impress upon the junta to continue import of paraquat and chlorpyrifos. Especially if a comprehensive trade war develops between China and the USA.

5 hours ago, kannot said:

I had a  woman come here and spray it once for me in some tall grass  during construction whilst I had been away, she  wore just some shorts, no mask or  gloves but best of all wa s followed  round by her children ( about 5-6yrs  old)  running thru the freshly sprayed and still wet gramaoxone. Ive given up caring for the Thai, I spent 5  years being kind  and nice now I just have no interest.

After 2 years of careful consideration I've concluded that Thailand is too far gone for me to relocate there.   2 to 3 holidays in SE Asia, Thailand maybe once a year.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Two possible reasons for that "slim:"

• "The close connection of Thailand’s government to chemical giants is seen as one of the problems the change to an environmental friendly farming is moving slowly in Thailand." 09-21-2017
  • "China government has now revealed to prohibit the use and sales of any paraquat formulation in China by September 2020. As a result, export will be the only remaining option for Chinese paraquat manufacturers to sell their products."

http://www.cnchemicals.com/Press/90113-Thailand’s proposed ban on paraquat and chlorpyrifos affects China .html

China might impress upon the junta to continue import of paraquat and chlorpyrifos. Especially if a comprehensive trade war develops between China and the USA.

Considering the doubtless carcinogenic properties of Paraquat the nations that do buy Thai food products, should boycott such trade until Paraquat is effectively banned in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

I read a study a while back that it makes frogs gay. These idiots around where we are eat the frogs. You are what you eat i guess. My wife runs a farm/s and wont touch the stuff. She weeds and cuts grass and we are talking 30rai. 

Thais are stupid plain and simple. Its incredible toxic. Any googling can show foreign and local studies. Where i live people spray there entire houses so no grass will grow. They sit around in this muck which also sits in the ground for 10+ years. No wonder the death rate in my street alone is something that should be investigated. Just a couple families but average 5deaths per year.

I want to see the pm drink a glass and show the people its safe!

I have proof of the soil this stuff is used on drastically depletes nutrients also. 1000 bananas wont grow on an old sugar cane field my wife uses . But all around that no problems!

As another person stated the idiots using it usually just throw the bags and containers all over the place. Just absolute idiots and laugh at my wife and me even out there cutting grass like we are the stupid ones. Lazy pricks.

Sugar cane on its own depletes  soil

23 minutes ago, Kimber said:

Considering the doubtless carcinogenic properties of Paraquat the nations that do buy Thai food products, should boycott such trade until Paraquat is effectively banned in Thailand. 

Doubtless carcinogenic??? I read it wasnt in my report in a previous  post. The main problem is not wearing protection and ingesting the stuff+over application

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3058830/

Edited by kannot

23 minutes ago, kannot said:

Doubtless carcinogenic??? I read it wasnt in my report in a previous  post. The main problem is not wearing protection and ingesting the stuff+over application

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3058830/

In western countries PPE is acknowledged as the least effective control when it comes to Toxic chemicals. 

Generally industrial or agricultural chemicals rated as Carcinogenic are banned, (the Precautionary Principle) as is Paraquat / Gramoxphone in western countries.   The use of PPE doesn't cancel out a Ban on Carcinogenic chemicals. 

What's been overlooked in this thread, is the residual element of Paraquat within the food products themselves; that's where the recipient countries of Thai food products have an ongoing concern. 

Also as an airborne contaminant there's a probability that dwelling rooves in the vicinity of spraying will be affected,  such rooves are often used as collector surfaces for household Rain water consumption. 

Additionally the haphazard manner of spraying and container dumping is a key factor to the ongoing contamination of water ways and consequently coastal waters, affecting Fish,  Crustaceans; Dolphins and on it goes. 

What's often overlooked with Toxic chemicals is the cumulative build up in biological systems, and individual mammals.

Edited by Kimber

7 minutes ago, Kimber said:

In western countries PPE is acknowledged as the least effective control when it comes to Toxic chemicals. 

Generally industrial or agricultural chemicals rated as Carcinogenic are banned, (the Precautionary Principle) as is Paraquat in western countries.   The use of PPE doesn't cancel out a Ban on Carcinogenic chemicals. 

What's been overlooked in this thread, is the residual element of Paraquat within the food products themselves; that's where the recipient countries of Thai food products have an ongoing concern. 

Also as an airborne contaminant there's a probability that dwelling rooves in the vicinity of spraying will be affected,  such rooves are often used as collector surfaces for household Rain water consumption. 

Additionally the haphazard manner of spraying and container dumping is a key factor to the ongoing contamination of water ways and consequently coastal waters, affecting Fish,  Crustaceans; Dolphins and on it goes. 

Seems to me used  appropriately its  not a  problem, the problem lies  squarely with its total mis  use/over use  here, was always taught to never spray on windy days, the nearest roof  to me is at least 500 metres away and the quantity Im using I doubt does  much at all. The amount I use is 3 knapsack sprayers  full  (60litres maximum) and that does  all my weeds on 15 rai. I weed the pineapples by hand which is laborious and staff leave due I suspect to this, I had to spray them all the last time as no staff which has kept the weeds at bay for  5  months now, this is the first time Ive used a chemical on the  land in 5  years, Gramoxone aside, for spotting weeds on the bare  soil.

So IS paraquat carcinogenic or not?