Buying a car 2.5m baht budget

RAZZELL

21 hours ago, baansgr said:

I've had beemers,  Mercedes and Volvo in the UK yet find my Mitsubishi is on a Par with these. 

I'm going to contribute to thread-fraking to point out that the term "beemer" is typically used to reference BMW motorcycles whereas "bimmer" is used for BMW automobiles.  Just sayin'

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Muzarella said:

....Smaller one?..The new Toyota RV4..... to never have worrries about maintenance and repairs cost.

But you know that a RV4 is not available in Thailand!

I think there are still a lot of people give comments here without the knowledge about Thai cars. As there are not every car available and even when they are… then they are still not always the same as for example in Europe!

Many cars have predefined features and you can not choose what you want inside as in Europe.

2 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You perfectly don't know what you are talking about.

Go drive any new benz and any new toyota and honda, then if you do not realize how wrong you are, you have a very big problem.

I've just moved from a BMW X5 (F15) to a Mazda CX-5....  there really isn't much difference in ride or quality....

Mazda's has stepped up its game with its 2018 top of the range models with premium materials and specification...  Toyota and Honda seemed to lack a certain refinement, but with regards to build quality and ride... there is very little difference. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You perfectly don't know what you are talking about.

Go drive any new benz and any new toyota and honda, then if you do not realize how wrong you are, you have a very big problem.

Sorry, you are the one with your facts wrong.

Back in the early 1990's, Benz and BMW ruled the roost because they had technological advances in their vehicles. Stuff such as independent suspensions all round, ABS, disc brakes all round, fuel injection, high efficiency engines, AMG ( all-wheel drive ) etc. Now the rest of the world has caught up with them and even surpassed them. Benz and BMW now sell the concept of the brand cachet meaning the driver is someone important, for those shallow enough to believe them. The Germans spend megabucks every year inviting motoring journalists to Switzerland or Spain to be wined and dined. The quid pro quo for the luxury is the journalists only write flattering reviews of the vehicle being launched.

Of course, if you like shelling out 100% duty on a Benz or BMW in Thailand just so you can feel superior, it's your money. I have better things to do with mine.

I'm not the one with the problem. But don't take my word for it. Try this Australian video from someone who tells it like it is. Admittedly it's a comparison of 2015 models; however, IMHO the underlying facts are unchanged today.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've just moved from a BMW X5 (F15) to a Mazda CX-5....  there really isn't much difference in ride or quality....

Mazda's has stepped up its game with its 2018 top of the range models with premium materials and specification...  Toyota and Honda seemed to lack a certain refinement, but with regards to build quality and ride... there is very little difference. 

The real difference is German decision-making. They have decided to try competing with the Japanese and Koreans on price. So in the lower echelons of their cars, they cut the costs by removing premium options - which the Asian manufacturers put on their vehicles as standard.

I can't remember which year it was; however, at one stage the list of defects on new BMW's occupied 38 pages.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Cranky said:

I wouldn't buy a second-hand pushbike in this country.  No idea what you are buying, maybe from a main dealer but then you'll over-pay.  Best value in this place - New Honda, Civic or Accord.  Accord and a Civic and have change on your budget.

Honda anything come to think of it.

I bought a second hand car from an Aus guy moving back home. Full main dealer service history which i was able to verify. No problem bahtsold.

Wouldn't buy second hand from a Thai, tent or private.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

If you wanted a new car I would choose BMW 320D for a general use car. Quite spacious inside and warranty service etc makes it better than Mercedes for running.

As for second hand for 2.5m you can get a decent e class , 5 series and also Audi Q5 . I looked at some Q5 in bkk and the condition of them was immaculate with hardly any mileage at all on them .Would be my choice for SUV type vehicle if I was looking for that over a car .

"Hardly any mileage' - another statement that supports my argument for not bothering buying if you live in BKK. Then again if all you want is to flaunt your wealth then go ahead....

I bought a 1 year old Pajero in BKK with only 6k kms on the clock, as new, the guy lost over 500k baht in one year cos he was desperate to sell and return to UK.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

Yes I have driven in BKK and used the rail thing a couple of times. The thought of using public transport and getting to it on a daily basis for me would be horrendous unless one had too..

Ooops, I missed out car.."car vegan"....:laugh:

Nope, not one of those either! Except when I lived in Manila for a year, I wasn't crazy enough to buy a car there, and the taxi service and public transport wasn't a patch on Bangkok.

The public transport system in BKK is very good, stress free, clean and comfortable, except at peak rush hours, lots of lovely eye candy, a bit of much needed exercise up and down stairs and cheap. Conversely driving in BKK on a regular basis would be akin to a living nightmare, and, personally, I would feel I needed my head examining if I ever succumbed.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, transam said:

Yes I have driven in BKK and used the rail thing a couple of times. The thought of using public transport and getting to it on a daily basis for me would be horrendous unless one had too..

Ooops, I missed out car.."car vegan"....:laugh:

Nope, not one of those either! Except when I lived in Manila for a year, I wasn't crazy enough to buy a car there, and the taxi service and public transport wasn't a patch on Bangkok.

The public (rapid transit) transport system in BKK is very good, stress free, clean and comfortable, except at peak rush hours, lots of lovely eye candy, a bit of much needed exercise up and down stairs and cheap. Conversely driving in BKK on a regular basis would be akin to a living nightmare, and, personally, I would feel I needed my head examining if I ever succumbed.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cranky said:

Hardly good advice.  Bit like advising someone to stay home and have a Barclay's rather than popping out for a BJ coz it's cheaper and safer.  Dude wants a flash motor, up to him.

I really don't get these wierd analogies, yours for sex and RS for food and wine, totally irrelevant!

20 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I really don't get these wierd analogies, yours for sex and RS for food and wine, totally irrelevant!

Your numerous posts in this thread are also fairly irrelevant to OP's question on what car to buy!!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife and I were 'between' cars for 2 weeks... (after selling ours and waiting for the new one).... 

That nearly cost us our sanity !!...  The daily taxi of taking our son to school and picking him up, dealing with the UBER and GRAB can't find your address, late arrivals, taxi's refusing fair, breaking down, aggressive and angry drivers, swearing etc etc...  Then not being able to do the 'large weekly shop' and instead doing smaller shops... 

The convenience of a car, even in a city such as Bangkok cannot be beaten...  The ability to just nip out to Mega Bang Na (IKEA) or Cyrstal Park or any other shopping mall at a whim... and each time knowing that I'll be on the expressway, not chancing it my son in the car without a car seat, but in a strong safe, well maintained car, with correct tyre pressures, new tyres, with a proper isofix car seat... 

Oh.. and then we can get whatever we like, stop off where ever we like on the way home... dinner etc... yup you can do that in a Taxi, but its a pain in the backside and wears thin very quickly. 

It would seem that only those without cars suggest they are not needed

Your criteria differs somewhat from mine. I don't have kids to consider, nor am I paranoid about the safety of the taxis, which I find to be generally quite good these days. I can remember the days when taxis were held together with coat hanger wire... Also, thankfully, I don't live in BKK.

But I should say I'm thankful to those that do buy cars in Bangkok as they are a great source of little used / low mileage second hand vehicles. I bought a second hand Pajero off a repatriating Brit, because I wanted the old model, not a fan of the new styling, and my wife persuaded me we didn't need a new car to get ruined dipping it in the sea to launch our yacht. Actually felt sorry for the chap as he only bought it because his company gave him a transport allowance on a 3 year contract, so he bought it for economic reasons in that he would have something of an asset at the end of his contract, but sadly it was cut short to 1 year, so he took a major hit on the first years disproportionate depreciation.

So, yes, I do have a car.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:45 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

There are always one rotten apple out there, but in general most tents just clean up the cars and sell them. It is a simple business.

There are so many ways to check and double check the car.

- Blue book is a good start as some cars have been driven years on red plates and the registration date is way off.

- Check the VIN number online.

- For newer cars, less than 30-40,000 km, week/year of the tyres should match the age of the car.

- Open a door panes and check the date stamp of an airbag. It should only be 3-6 month older than the car.

- Some older Mercedes have date stamps in window panels.

- With the right key movements and entering a default password, you can see the date of the software in my BMW.

When Purchasing a car new or used  check the Year of mfg on the tag on the seat Belt, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do not know about Mazda but I confirm that all newest toyota and honda that I have tried are just crap to drive.

I believe you about ride, but don't tell me that you CX5 interior is as nice as a BMW interior (which in my opinion are already not as nice as Benz interiors).

4 hours ago, Tofer said:

I bought a 1 year old Pajero in BKK with only 6k kms on the clock, as new, the guy lost over 500k baht in one year cos he was desperate to sell and return to UK.

I would love to take opportunity to save money by buying a 2nd hand car but have absolutely no clue about cars so I stick to new cars and I am quite happy about, even if they lose 50% after I have driven them out of the dealer.

Cars are not assets (mostly), cars are consumables and I don't understand the obsession with a car's value. I don't check the value of my groceries and other consumables, too.

3 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

I would love to take opportunity to save money by buying a 2nd hand car but have absolutely no clue about cars so I stick to new cars and I am quite happy about, even if they lose 50% after I have driven them out of the dealer.

Cars are not assets (mostly), cars are consumables and I don't understand the obsession with a car's value. I don't check the value of my groceries and other consumables, too.

Same here, only drive Benzs but I also never sell my old cars, just keep until I feel or have money to buy a new one, and give it to Benz for any price they want to get a new one. This is what I call luxury ! And I still prefer buying millions baht cars than buying houses to my wives as most of people do in Thailand.

I would never buy a Japanese car and be happy to look like another cheap charlie happy to drive a boring ugly car.

• Sad 1

On 29/03/2018 at 12:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I've just switched from a BMW-X5 (F15) to the Mazda CX-5.... Very happy. 

The BMW was a great car. 4.6MB new... sold after 3 years for 3MB... Bought the Mazda for 1.75MB figuring in another 3 years I'd lose another 1.6MB on the BMW...  The maths made more sense to sell the BMW. That said, the maths never made any sense to buy it in the first place !!!... 

The CX-5 is only missing the badge of a BMW as ultimately the quality inside is very similar and you'd be forgiven for thinking you are in a German car. 

I was going for the Everest - but the test drive put me off, it was like driving a truck. The Mazda had me sold on on quality and driving feel... although it could do with a little more grunt when compared to the BMW. 

The GLA is a good suggestion... But don't overlook the Japanese cars - some of the top of the range models are now entering premium territory. 

If I was buying into that market and intended to keep the car for a few years I would probably consider

a Lexus over a Mercedes or BMW.  Toyotas last forever.  That Toyota connection would NOT put me off a Lexus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

If I was buying into that market and intended to keep the car for a few years I would probably consider

a Lexus over a Mercedes or BMW.  Toyotas last forever.  That Toyota connection would NOT put me off a Lexus.

Lexus, Audi and Volvo are all complete Imported cars, therefore they have a huge importtax.

As like Benz they already produce in Thailand and can sell cheaper.

Mazda somehow produce in Malaysia but still can somehow have acceptable prices

9 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

I agree they are not generally considered assets, but they do have an intrinsic value at any age, unlike groceries!

You don't need to be an expert to buy a second hand car, I never even test drove the one I bought, didn't want to sit in BKK traffic listening to the engine idling for a couple of hours, with only 6k on the clock and 2 years warranty remaining not much to worry about, and bought from a mature professional British expat.

If you are concerned you can always insist on a thorough check over at the nearest dealer.

We had earlier looked at one from a second hand dealer, he wouldn't allow a test drive 5 kms down the road to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it checked over, so told him where to stick it. He did us a huge favour, saw the one we bought on bahtsold a week later.

Edited by Tofer

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

I agree they are not generally considered assets, but they do have an intrinsic value at any age, unlike groceries!

You don't need to be an expert to buy a second hand car, I never even test drove the one I bought, didn't want to sit in BKK traffic listening to the engine idling for a couple of hours, with only 6k on the clock and 2 years warranty remaining not much to worry about, and bought from a mature professional British expat.

If you are concerned you can always insist on a thorough check over at the nearest dealer.

We had earlier looked at one from a second hand dealer, he wouldn't allow a test drive 5 kms down the road to the Mitsubishi dealer to get it checked over, so told him where to stick it. He did us a huge favour, saw the one we bought on bahtsold a week later.

IMHO it's fair to say one is unlikely to have problems with a car bought from an expat, because they are usually conscientious about servicing and maintenance.

I check out vehicles myself, apart from having a compression test done.

12 hours ago, HampiK said:

Lexus, Audi and Volvo are all complete Imported cars, therefore they have a huge importtax.

As like Benz they already produce in Thailand and can sell cheaper.

Mazda somehow produce in Malaysia but still can somehow have acceptable prices

It is because of ASEAN.  Suzukis and some Toyotas made in Indonesia are also sold here.

13 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I do not know about Mazda but I confirm that all newest toyota and honda that I have tried are just crap to drive.

I believe you about ride, but don't tell me that you CX5 interior is as nice as a BMW interior (which in my opinion are already not as nice as Benz interiors).

It surprised me too...  After 3 premium cars in Thailand, a Mazda is not something I ever considered.... 

.... I joked that the Mazda is only missing a Mercedes or BMW badge... Difficult to believe I know.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It surprised me too...  After 3 premium cars in Thailand, a Mazda is not something I ever considered.... 

.... I joked that the Mazda is only missing a Mercedes or BMW badge... Difficult to believe I know.

Motor tech has moved on big time. Way back when Mercs were up front with tech that others have now caught up with the goods...I drove all sorts of Mercs starting in the 70's and they were streets ahead of the rest..

Even now I wish I had my 2001  Merc E220 CDI auto, l could not fault it..:smile:

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 10:58 AM, gamesgplayemail said:

The way you speak it is clear that you have never driven a Benz or BMW.

No Japanese car even for 2 millions can compare with the cheapest Benz or BMW.

I even checked the top camry and the top accor for 1.7 millions and compared to even the cheapest CLA benz, you feel like driving a truck with a motorbike engine.

I understand that not everybody can buy a German car, but people dont pay double price at least of any Japanese car just for a badge. They are clearly better to drive and mine even saved my life few times when having to avoid a box that a shit truck lost on the road. No Camry, Accor or SUV could have allowed to avoid the box and come back to my lane at the speed I was going.

I have driven Mercedes and BMWs in addition to Hondas and Toyotas--hands down, the Japs have it over the Germans in reliability, maintenance and resale--and all that with a lower initial price, go figure. However, don't just take my experiences and word for it, google it and read.

• Like 1