UK Labour leader Corbyn apologises for anti-Semitism in his party‍​

webfact

UK Labour leader Corbyn apologises for anti-Semitism in his party‍

2018-03-26T035530Z_1_LYNXMPEE2P07G_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS.JPG

The leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, delivers a speech at the official launch of Labour's local election campaign in Manchester, Britain, March 22, 2018. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - The leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, apologised on Sunday for anti-Semitism within his party, as he faced the prospect of protests over a perceived failure to act on such incidents in the past.

"We recognise that anti-Semitism has occurred in pockets within the Labour Party, causing pain and hurt to our Jewish community in the Labour Party and the rest of the country," Corbyn said in a statement posted on Facebook.

"I am sincerely sorry for the pain which has been caused."

Labour has faced persistent criticism in recent years for anti-Semitic comments made by party members and even lawmakers. Corbyn himself was criticised last week for a comment made in 2012 showing solidarity with the creator of a mural deemed by many to be anti-Semitic.

He responded on Friday by saying he wished he had looked at the contents of the mural more closely, and condemning it. But that apology fell short for some, with one Jewish lawmaker in his party describing it as "wholly inadequate".

The row, coupled with persistent ideological differences within Labour over Brexit, threatens to break the delicate truce Corbyn's left-wing leadership had earned from more centrist elements of his party after a stronger than expected performance in last summer's election.

Before Corbyn's statement, Jewish community leaders had announced a protest outside parliament on Monday.

"He never sees or understands the anti-Semitism, whether it is from overseas terrorist groups or local Facebook groups," said a joint statement from two groups representing the community: The Jewish Leadership Council and The Board of Deputies of British Jews.

Corbyn's Sunday statement did not address the mural comments any further, but he said: "Labour is an anti-racist party and I utterly condemn anti-Semitism, which is why as leader of the Labour Party I want to be clear that I will not tolerate any form of anti-Semitism that exists in and around our movement."

Corbyn also said he would be meeting with Jewish representatives over the coming days.

(Reporting by William James; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-27
  • Haha 1

Corbyn is not fit to govern and neither are his Momentum cronies. Few realise just how dangerous this man is. Although, with any luck, he may have peaked by the look of it and Labour might get their act together and find someone else as he's a gift to the Tories really.

5aba049476e96_CorbynMeme.jpg.a932dc6bbdaa6604d56c49200b70b099.jpg

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Like 2

The truth of course (in the west) antisemitism is a big problem on both the left and the right (and sometimes in the middle as well). Western Jews outside of Israel tend to be more on the liberal side, so antisemitism on the left often hits closer to home. 

For example, a Jewish college kid in the U.S. might want to join up with some kind of social justice activism group but then realize he's not welcome unless he agrees with extremist Israel demonization such as believing in an equivalence between Israel and Nazis. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The truth of course (in the west) antisemitism is a big problem on both the left and the right (and sometimes in the middle as well). Western Jews outside of Israel tend to be more on the liberal side, so antisemitism on the left often hits closer to home. 

For example, a Jewish college kid in the U.S. might want to join up with some kind of social justice activism group but then realize he's not welcome unless he agrees with extremist Israel demonization such as believing in an equivalence between Israel and Nazis. 

But its still ok to be fanatically anti-Islam? With much government support.....

Pot, kettle , black.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mrfill said:

But its still ok to be fanatically anti-Islam? With much government support.....

Pot, kettle , black.

If you're accusing me of being "fanatically anti-Islam" you're barking up the wrong tree. Please be more careful of how you direct your obnoxious flames, OK? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Disliked is one thing. Gassed in the millions another. Yes your suggestion is disgusting in the context of a topic about the holocaust and I reckon you know that too and wanted to deliberately provoke.

Also I have to inform you that your ignorance is appalling. There are thousands of books written largely by Jews on the root causes of antisemitism. Hint to you - - even total assimilation doesn't make it go away.

Maybe read some of those books before writing more troll posts suggesting Jews are somehow responsible for their own persecution.

I don't pretend to be familiar with the thousand of books you describe. Perhaps you could name the most penetrating of them for my edification, as I'm genuinely interested to know how Jews view and judge themselves.

I'm curious to know where Corbyn gets his alleged anti-semitism, as, like Corbyn, I also grew up in the north of England, and I doubt anyone in that part of the world has much of an opinion on the matter - as there were no Jews around where we grew up. Personally, I didn't knowingly meet a Jew until I was 26.

I raised an intellectual question, but it seems there's to be no enquiry. Your response is what I call 'elfing' (to coin a term - let's see if it catches on). Elfing is screaming 'troll' in response to even a sincere question in order to quash all opinions you disagree with.

Very well then, I simply ask what you have achieved by quashing the debate? Does that further the aim of eradicating anti-semitism, which, incidentally, I would like to see eradicated as much as you in the name of world peace? I would suggest that aggressively shouting down the debate only sets back the cause.

Edited by CharlesSwann
  • Like 1

I stand by my accusation regardless of the too cute protestations of innocence in your reply.

"Blaming Jews for anti-Semitism: The old canard exposed

The persecution of Jews has always been an iconic example of blaming the victims."

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/18508

---

To add, not taking back my total DISGUST at blaming the Jews for their own persecution, but I would like to apologize for confusing this thread with the other current one about the Israeli efforts to educate Thai university students about the holocaust. Oops. Sorry. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

Anybody who criticizes Israel domestic and foreign policy is labeled anti - Semitic by the Jewish community. Its  tactic of control and influence that is sadly all to effective . That Corbyn is force to grovel out an apology to appease the Jewish community is shameful..

That is exactly the justification given by the bigots who have  been on an anti jew crusade for some time. Corbyn made some spectacular mistakes on the issue and it had nothing to do with free speech considerations. His  ast debacle that they tried to cover up has come back to  haunt him.

- The  vile anti semitic mural in 2012 that borrowed from Nazi caricatures of hook nosed jews grabbing money  was so offensive that it was removed from a London wall. Corbyn  made the mistake of claiming freedom of expression in an effort to defend the artist. When he was shown similar images and  the comments of the artist who confirmed his intent was to show jews in a negative light , he said oops, that he hadn't realized what the mural was about because he hadn't really seen it. All was to be forgiven hehe. No one would have tolerated such a mural about any other ethnic group.

- The refusal to condemn overt acts of harassment and threats of violence against members of the party including MPs who refused to adopt anti Israel positions. It's rather telling that  anyone who disagreed with the Corbyn clique was savagely attacked. He didn't even act on the internal report commissioned two years ago that detailed the lengthy attacks on jews. 

-The text from the open letter listing the concern spelled it out clearly; Corbyn cannot seriously contemplate anti-Semitism, because he is so ideologically fixed within a far-left worldview that is instinctively hostile to mainstream Jewish communities."

- Corbyn is the one who socialized with the Imam of bigotry and violence,  Raed Salah, praising him as “a very honoured citizen”. That's the same Imam who called for violence against jews and the west. Imagine the outcry if a Tory was seen in an innocent photo with a National front type.

- Corbyn accepted money from  the Iranian government by way of paid appearances on Press TV, the propaganda  outlet for Iran's government. That's the same  outlet that promoted bogus conspiracy theories that the jews were the ones who  brought down the WTC on 9/11. BTW, Corbyn has never refuted those bogus claims either.

- Nor has Corbyn  distanced himself from designated terrorist organization Hizbollah.  Despite his claims of supporting the right of Israel to exist, he didn't seem to be bothered by his support for Hamas and Hizbollah who's respective charters call for the end of Israel and the  death of all jews.

Corbyn is a hard core  leftist, the kind that preached class warfare and  needed a convenient enemy when there was none. He's been caught in his lies and the fact that he has been exposed as an information source for an enemy of  the UK  shows him to be a traitor as well.

I get it. There are alot of people on TVF who come for a period where they learnt to hate jews. Uneducated and full of hate with a need to  blame their problems and  poor life prospects on someone else.  It's a scenario played out on any given day in the UK with Poles now getting blamed for being willing to do the hard work  the English are too lazy to do. Before the Poles were Caribbean and SE Asian  folk who  kept the nation running. The haters need to grow up and stop blaming others because they failed in life. They can look in the mirror and complain to the person  who was in charge.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

Anybody who criticizes Israel domestic and foreign policy is labeled anti - Semitic by the Jewish community. Its  tactic of control and influence that is sadly all to effective . That Corbyn is force to grovel out an apology to appease the Jewish community is shameful..

Can you name any instances when someone criticised  Israels domestic policy and was then labelled as being anti semetic ?

• Like 2

A very difficult subject...

Say something that is not liked by the Jewish community one is labeled "anti-Semitic" 

Certainly the holocaust was a grave injustice, as was the massacre at York in England 1190.

But am I wrong to point out that our UK Parliament and House of Lords has a disproportionately high number of Jewish MP's and Lords?

We have 19 Jewish MP's out of 650 MP's that's 3% yet according to the 2011 census there were 269,568 declared Jews in the UK (0.4%).

IMHO this has influenced the UK in unfairly favouring Israel in conflicts with their Arab neighbours.

And according to the 2011 Census there were 261,584 declared Buddhists in the UK and as far as I know there is only one Buddhist MP...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Good Lord.  If you are distraught by  having some  people who practice the faith of Jesus Christ, then  run against them in the next election. These people are freely elected  by their constituents who obviously did not have the same bias as you. If you are upset because so many  jews  excelled academically, feel free to  brush up on your studies and take them on. The captain of my  rowing team  went on to graduate at the top of his medical class. He was a success at age 30 and I was still struggling at my first job. I have a feeling he got where he was because he was studying while I was out drinking and screwing about. He had discipline and focus. I did not. I expect that's why he succeeded and not because his mum was jewish.

I just feel there is a group of Jewish activists who help to get Jewish persons selected to run as candidates in most political parties and have to consider the fact that when it comes to selecting candidates these people come with funding from Zionist lobby groups. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Just a suggestion: Perhaps it's time Jews asked themselves why they are apparently so disliked by so many people and did something to remedy it, instead of hypersensitively shouting all criticism down. They've played the holocaust sympathy card quite a long time now, and it's got to the stage where any form of criticism is simply taboo.

If I were Jewish, I'd at least be curious what it's all about. I recall a Woody Allen film where he posed the same question.

Certainly disliked by some of the meally-mouthed neo-fascists on this forum. One thing the neo-fascists definitely want to kick into the long grass are the Jeremy Corbyn antics. Thumbs up there!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

If you read the apology closely he is apologising to people who have been offended, he is careful not to apologise for the offence.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is there still a Jewish working class in the USA.? I remember being puzzled reading about Jewish gangsters in the Capone era. In the UK I can only ever remember Jews being middle-class professional types. Well, apart from one who used to go in a pub near my work who I think was a bit of an embarrassment to them. Poor git, everything he touched turned to shxxe

2 hours ago, rott said:

Is there still a Jewish working class in the USA.? I remember being puzzled reading about Jewish gangsters in the Capone era. In the UK I can only ever remember Jews being middle-class professional types. Well, apart from one who used to go in a pub near my work who I think was a bit of an embarrassment to them. Poor git, everything he touched turned to shxxe

LOL. Yes. There are  regions and cities in North America where  they fall well below the poverty line. This is particularly acute with the 65+ segment.

I grew up with children from the professional classes or who's parents owned businesses. As a result, the Jews, blacks, asians, Indians, and other ethnic groups were all like me, and me like them, so we just assumed everyone was like us. I never saw impoverished Jews until I was in my teens, just as I never met a dangerous black person until I was in uni and my lab partner from Ghana told me to be careful with the American black guy because he smoked in the non smoking zone.

I went to a Church of England school so we didn't have too many religious jews, although I recall at easter church services, pointing out to one kid that the chap stapled to the vicar's stick bore an amazing resemblance to his uncle the hippy who owned a clothing store and the jewish prefect shushed me.

I saw the mural  and to me me it look like a load of fat cats sitting with a game board in front of them I did not see where in implied they were Jewish. But there again I  would not take any notice of it any way whoever the creed of people they were,just put a down to a poor painting

20 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

Give this man a beer and a fortnight's paid leave

• Like 1