Contempt of court allegation in Khon Kaen dismemberment trial

snoop1130

Contempt of court allegation in Khon Kaen dismemberment trial

By The Nation

e47efc9f686259c32ef853906cb81b1b.jpeg

A court in Khon Kaen province is considering charging three female defendants in a high-profile murder trial with contempt of court after they allegedly used a smartphone inside a court building.

Sarawut Benjakul, secretary-general of the Office of the Judiciary, said in Bangkok on Tuesday that the chief justice of Region IV had investigated evidence showing the defendants chatting with a man and taking photos during a court session.

The investigation was held after photos surfaced of Preeyanuch Nonwangchai, Kawita Rachada and Jidarat Promkhun, who are all charged in connection with the murder and dismemberment of Warisara Klinjui in May last year, smiling at a camera while inside court premises.

Jidarat, who was freed on bail, apparently used her mobile phone to take photos of the other two defendants.

The screenshots that went viral displayed Jidarat’s profile photo but the phone seems to have been used by Preeyanuch to chat with a man.

No communication devices are allowed in courtrooms.

Two of the suspects are accused of murdering Warisara, dismembering her body and burying it in a forest, while Jidarat has been charged with receiving stolen goods. 

The gruesome murder and suspects’ subsequent escape to Myanmar grabbed media headlines for months and when the women were taken into police custody, photos were leaked showing policemen taking selfies with them. 

Jidarat was granted bail but was at court on March 13 as the prosecution’s witnesses started giving evidence.

Sarawut said judicial officials of Region IV had reported the photos had been taken during a court session on the afternoon of March 13.

Officials checked video footage from security cameras and invited people involved in the incident to give information.

The footage showed the three defendants using a mobile phone.

Their lawyer has already been warned about the ban on communication devices in court.

Sarawut said Khon Kaen Court officials had filed an allegation of contempt of court against the three defendants.

Jidarat has been ordered to testify next month while the other two are already in detention and can be taken to court from Khon Kaen Prison at any time.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341877

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-26

Weren't these the women that the Khon Kaen cops queued up to have selfies taken with? I guess they are just mimicking the sense of gravitas around the crime from law enforcement officials and how (not) to behave correctly in public spaces and govt buildings.

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Rotten characters.

They still seem to think they are in reality TV.

Will they still grin when locked away for life?

Again and again I see cases where I fight with myself over capital punishment.

Not me, I think in cases with nailed on evidence there is a real need for getting rid of these oxygen thieves. Unfortunately then I think, what about the rotten bastard cops that can fit people up. And on it goes