Video: Social experiment - or a way to get shot? Zebra crossing prank sparks debate

snoop1130

Video: Social experiment - or a way to get shot? Zebra crossing prank sparks debate

29511184_700808490308919_5664227624705813612_n.jpg

A video posted on YouTube showing some young men clambering on cars that have stopped on walkways is causing much comment from Thais.

Billed as a "social experiment" the two and a half minute video shows members of the "DOMteamwork" group jumping on a Mercedes Benz, a Porsche and another car that have partially blocked crossings.

One driver gets out and a confrontation seems inevitable before the "experimenters" scurry off. 

A tagline on YouTube asked posters to make comments after asking "Are you bored with these cars?"

Two and a half thousand people left comments.

The people responsible have posted other pranks on YouTube in the past. 

The video was shared to the Facebook page of Bangon Phonsak who said it was just for fun to "arouse society".

"Anyone under 70 should watch with caution" the poster advised.

Sources: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=700808740308894&id=100011393233009 and http://www.tnews.co.th/contents/bf/433617

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-3-26

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Bunch of idiots......

They are actually wasting more energy jumping the cars, than just walking around them....

Using their "logic"...it is okay for cars to deliberately hit pedestrians walking a red light...?

And the real irony here is, during the 'prank' they are actually crossing despite a red light for them....

Well I guess, some people will do anything for their 15 seconds of internet fame....:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my pet peeves is waiting politely at a zebra crossing (usually in front of a shopping mall) for a car to pass, only to find that it stops right in front of me to offload passengers.

Motorists are totally blind to zebra crossings.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Get shot? Thought guns are illegal.

Guns are legal. Thailand has a fairly high rate of ownership. They’re just very expensive. So people driving those luxury cars being walked on are more likely to have one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Great. Next we need a group of strong kids with stickers and a Youtube channel like those Russian kids.

Just what I was watching last night SS.  ' Douchebags ' innit.

In fact I mailed a mate and said it shoul be done over here , but not at Zebra crossings , as said above sometimes it is unavoidable stopping on them . Ah , but cars parked in the middle of the road , drivers too damn lazy to walk 20metres. My wife once said I should drive like a Thai. I said if I did we would of both been killed years ago !

15 hours ago, Happy enough said:

although i agree that the use of zebra crossings should be made aware i'd say that's a very dangerous way to go about highlighting it. sometimes you can get stuck on a zebra

crossing through no fault of your own.

Isn't the rule to engage if you have enough space to go? So most of the time, it is your own fault if you get stuck on zebra or at the middle of the intersection. But then, if you follow the rules, there will always be a moron to sneak in ...

More than rules, this is about respecting others.

14 hours ago, siamcrut said:

Nice try, but what are they going to do with all the motorbikes, who usually stop at the zebra crossing too?
Jump them as well? Good luck.

Maybe they think those zebra markings are to indicate the area where motorbikes can stop?

1 hour ago, Crash999 said:

Guns are legal. Thailand has a fairly high rate of ownership. They’re just very expensive. So people driving those luxury cars being walked on are more likely to have one. 

I think it is illegal ... but I also think there is a nice black market where those who can afford luxury car can easely afford guns.

3 minutes ago, TheMac said:

I think it is illegal ... but I also think there is a nice black market where those who can afford luxury car can easely afford guns.

It’s not illegal. In Bangkok there are a bunch of gun shops, many clustered near Chinatown. Very common for people to have guns here. My wife’s parents have one in their house. 

14 hours ago, JOC said:

Bunch of idiots......

They are actually wasting more energy jumping the cars, than just walking around them....

Using their "logic"...it is okay for cars to deliberately hit pedestrians walking a red light...?

And the real irony here is, during the 'prank' they are actually crossing despite a red light for them....

Well I guess, some people will do anything for their 15 seconds of internet fame....:coffee1:

You never tried those crossings fearing for life? In most cases cars will stop somehow but motorbikes got a problem with it. Many are Burmese. They don't know anything and are the first to die in accidents.

But what about you? You stay at home?

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

One of my more vivid memories of visiting Beijing around 2002 was how people crossed roads there. Basically, you would wait until there was a group large enough that running over all of those people would result in mass murder. A human wall would form to cross the road. Thailand is a bit better, but not by much. I've had more than one confrontation at a zebra crossing in Bangkok. Now that I live in Japan, I still hesitate at the zebra crossing. The drivers look at me and politely nod their head and wave me through. I think the drivers here must think there is something wrong with me. Living in a law-abiding country sure is nice.

All my life I looked politely at the pedestrians on a zebra crossing nodding my head and waving them through...however I am not Japanese :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

All my life I looked politely at the pedestrians on a zebra crossing nodding my head and waving them through...however I am not Japanese :smile:

Maybe in a past life you were. ?

On 27/03/2018 at 8:05 PM, Happy enough said:

although i agree that the use of zebra crossings should be made aware i'd say that's a very dangerous way to go about highlighting it. sometimes you can get stuck on a zebra crossing through no fault of your own.

What nonsense, maybe you get stuck sometimes but every time you do its absolutely through your faulty driving.

14 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

What nonsense, maybe you get stuck sometimes but every time you do its absolutely through your faulty driving.

obviously haven't been cut up by motocys as the lights were changing and can't reverse as there's a car right up your arse then. not nonsense at all. it happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1