Two Major Thai Banks Drop Internet Transfer Fees

webfact

Two Major Banks Drop Internet Transfer Fees

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

14728031851472803507l.jpg

Photo: Prachachat

BANGKOK — Is your bank green or purple? If so, you won’t have to pay a pesky 30 baht when transfering money to banks of other colors.

Starting Wednesday, Kasikornbank and Siam Commercial Bank, or SCB, will waive fees for bill payments and internet transfers between different regions and banks.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/03/28/two-major-banks-drop-internet-transfer-fees/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-03-28
  • Thanks 2

And it works :smile:

Just did a test from SCB (Khon Kaen) to Kasikorn (Pattaya).

SCB calls it "Real time".

Possible to:

Bangkok Bank

Kasikorn Bank ("K-Bank")

Krungthai Bank ("KTB")

Bank of Ayudhaya ("Krungsri")

Thanachart Bank

TMB Bank

United Overseas Bank ("UOB")

Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)

CIMB THAI

LH Bank

Government Saving Bank ("GSB")

Kiatnakin Bank

Tisco Bank

Bank for Agricultural and Agricultural Co-operatives ("BAAC")

Edited by KhunBENQ

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And it works :smile:

Just did a test from SCB (Khon Kaen) to Kasikorn (Pattaya).

SCB calls it "Real time".

Possible to:

Bangkok Bank

Kasikorn Bank ("K-Bank")

Krungthai Bank ("KTB")

Bank of Ayudhaya ("Krungsri")

Thanachart Bank

TMB Bank

United Overseas Bank ("UOB")

Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)

CIMB THAI

LH Bank

Government Saving Bank ("GSB")

Kiatnakin Bank

Tisco Bank

Bank for Agricultural and Agricultural Co-operatives ("BAAC")

Let us hope they all 'reciprocate'....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shady86 said:

How about waiving annual 200B Atm fees?

How about the 220 baht "fee" for using your farang atm-card?

Silly question, I know, farang are there to get money from.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dropping the interbank transfer fee makes sense as that could be a "value" play to the banks current customer base. Because they're your customer already, the bank could look at other ways to increase profitability be that from wholly new services, bundling or packaging a range of current services or the like.

By contrast, a fee on foreign non-bank customers, is to me, logical in that as a non-customer (outside the shared ATM pool platform as well) you need sine way to recoup the fees associated with providing this service as well as to allow for return on investment.

It's never going to be a popular fee, but given that it is a fairly capital-intensive service provided by a for-profit company, to someone who isn't a current customer, it makes sense to price it at a level which not only covers costs, but also provides for ROI.

How much does banking in your home country cost? 200 baht per year is quite low imo!

Free. I never need to pay any fees for Atm card in Singapore. In fact I don't even need a passport, bank book or go to branch. Everything can be done from internet banking and Atm including overseas remittance.

• Like 1

Farangs can always bring in cash and change at money changers which offer good rates. Atm fee for withdrawal with overseas credit or debit card is quite common not only in Thailand but everywhere in the world.

Thai banks learn all these practices from experts like british and americam banks.

Right now there is a royal commission in Oz looking at fee gouging and other rip offs perpetrated by large financial institutions.

Lets praise these thai banks for being proactive rather tham engage in another bashing fremzy

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cheops said:

How much does banking in your home country cost? 200 baht per year is quite low imo!

Mine are absolutely, 100% free. In fact, they actually pay me. When I go to another bank’s atm, anywhere in the world, they reimburse the atm fee, no matter how ridiculously high it is. Checks are free, setting up an account is free. Banks make money by lending out your money ten times over and charging points. The model is there for these fees to disappear, I know that’s not Thai style but just a point I’m making.

I personally don’t keep any money in Thai banks, not sure why I would. And the Thai banks are the loser because they would make a hell of a lot more from me by loaning my money, but they insist on charging these stupid little fees. 

Edited by utalkin2me

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

the other banks will have to follow fast, or they will lose customers

From more news it seems that more banks will join sooner or later (KTB, Bangkok Bank).

Wait and see.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have long felt sorry for Thais who must work away from home and must pay 30 baht to send money home. It hits the poorest.

Surely there is one national computer for these transactions and it costs exactly the same to transfer money wherever the location.

I have on occasions pointed this out to banks only to get a reply "It's not same changwat". End of thought process.

They still need to stop charging people for depositing money in to their own or 3rd party accounts from or within a different area than the account is held. This is just a rediculous charge and makes no sense whatsoever.

56 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I don't believe it works.

Can you do one more test, to see if it also works with bigger amounts, i will send you my account number

I just transferred 1k baht from KBank to SCB this morning. O fee. normally should be 20 or 25, so its free.

When I first moved here, I was astonished at the various fees the banks charged here for almost everything that's free in my country. I can withdraw from any ATM in any city, deposit anything anywhere, transfer on the net, get statements (up to previous 5 years), all for free. Not to mention the fees BBL charges me each time for an inward remittance from abroad, even though the remitter has already paid the remitting and payee bank charges. And you can do almost nothing without going to your "home branch" where you opened your account. India is far, far ahead technologically in its banking systems.

3 hours ago, Silurian said:

About time, hopefully all the other major Thai banks will follow suit. I never understood why banks charged a fee for digital/internet monetary bank transfer. It seems they would rather have you go into the bank, take time from a teller, get your money, go to the other bank, take another teller's time and deposit the money. Also not to mention the physical counting of money at the end of the day along with physical movement of the bills. Seems like the physical money transfer cost would far exceed the cost of a simple monetary transfer over digital lines. Makes zero sense to me to punish (charge a fee) for something (network transfer) that seems to benefit the bank in the long run.

The reason is reported in the article, the banks get 10% of their total revenue from all these fees.

They wager that most people would rather use internet banking rather than waste petrol and time to go to the banks. That's why they charge a fee.

Most customers don't want to take the hassle to go the bank if they can do it at home.

You pay for the convenience and the banks get more revenue.

It's the same logic as why 7-11 charge you for paying your bills. It's easier to go to the neighbourhood store than go all the way to the government offices to pay bills for free.

Edited by EricTh

I'm just spitballing here, but I wonder if the genesis to the fee for inter-bank transfers is rooted in the fact that (as I recall it) interbank clearance (which would include any movement if funds), is done centrally via the BoTs BahtNet system, which is a subscriber and fee based platform.

For US folks, it's effectively the same way that "checks" or EFTs clear across different banks. It's not done on a bank-by-Bank basis, but rather as a collective via the Fed system.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Mine are absolutely, 100% free. In fact, they actually pay me. When I go to another bank’s atm, anywhere in the world, they reimburse the atm fee, no matter how ridiculously high it is. Checks are free, setting up an account is free. Banks make money by lending out your money ten times over and charging points. The model is there for these fees to disappear, I know that’s not Thai style but just a point I’m making.

I personally don’t keep any money in Thai banks, not sure why I would. And the Thai banks are the loser because they would make a hell of a lot more from me by loaning my money, but they insist on charging these stupid little fees. 

In the Netherlands I just have the basic banking, but is already a couple euros per month. I read that in varies countries it's free. 

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Dream on :biggrin:

I think we're talking two different things here.

1. there is the current 220 baht PER WITHDRAWAL fee that Thai banks charge for foreign card withdrawals.

and

2. there is the current 200 or 300 baht ANNUAL fee that Thai banks charge all their cardholders just to have and continue use of their ATM cards.

Where I come from, the fee on out of network ATM withdrawals is about HALF the amount the Thai banks charge against foreign cards.

And, where I come from once you have a bank's ATM card, there typically are NO annual fees for its use.

Bottom line: they're gouging!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2