Tourists can't just come and do as they please, says Thai media

webfact

Not sure what all the fuss is about?
A tourist sat on the window ledge of a temple someone with a lower point of view got a view of her pants, took a photo and posted it on social media.
I've seen Thais sit on the window ledges at temples before is it just this one is more holy than the rest?
Better explain that to tourists.
P.s. the guys in the Photo look more like Military to me in their uniforms not Media or maybe that's the media uniform.

• Like 1

can't do as I like ??? ... oh damn and cuss and other expletives, there I was approaching the age where I can say and do as I want (at long last) and its been snatched away from me in the blink of an eye....

I really didn't want to collect a load of expensive borrowed watches or bray pointlessly at the Shin ing moon (even though its waning), so now my entire future is hanging in the balance....oh wait....there is still an avenue open to me, i can crappe in taxis and I will be as untouchable as a freshly laid turd......nice one...... freeeeeedom !!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2018 at 8:17 AM, monkfish said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about?
A tourist sat on the window ledge of a temple someone with a lower point of view got a view of her pants, took a photo and posted it on social media.
I've seen Thais sit on the window ledges at temples before is it just this one is more holy than the rest?
Better explain that to tourists.
P.s. the guys in the Photo look more like Military to me in their uniforms not Media or maybe that's the media uniform.

been coming to Thailand since 1971.  have spent more than my share of time in temples and lived in them for extended periods.  never saw a Thai woman " sit on the window ledges at temples before" I'd like to hear from other members that they've seen this.

"it just this one is more holy than the rest"  that's an opinion. No offence, IMPO it's BS...

This has blown out of proportion. Every tourist in a far away land can potentially act in ways that the locals might find offensive. I know I have, without meaning to.

If the person who took the picture and posted it on the social had instead gone to the lady and politely explained that she should not do that in Thailand, there would be no case. Oh wait, also no likes... damn.

• Like 1

Tourists should respect their surroundings, but so should Thais.

Just look at the beaches, villages, schools, homes, towns, streets and so on...

One big fly-tip.

I witness home-grown trashing thier own homeland.

Yet again, point the finger at the tourist to save face.

They should point the finger at those closer to home.

How fortunate it is that tourists choose to continue visiting a country under dictatorship.

Cutting a nose off to spite the face is the wrong method in approaching an issue.

Edited by Sonhia
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, joeyg said:

been coming to Thailand since 1971.  have spent more than my share of time in temples and lived in them for extended periods.  never saw a Thai woman " sit on the window ledges at temples before" I'd like to hear from other members that they've seen this.

"it just this one is more holy than the rest"  that's an opinion. No offence, IMPO it's BS...

In your 41 years visiting Thailand and living in temples you will probably know some are more strict than others?
For example some will allow men to wear short trousers and in some you have to cover up.
In your opinion is it disrespectful for a man to wear short trousers in a temple?

22 hours ago, monkfish said:

In your 41 years visiting Thailand and living in temples you will probably know some are more strict than others?
For example some will allow men to wear short trousers and in some you have to cover up.
In your opinion is it disrespectful for a man to wear short trousers in a temple?

No but it's the custom so I follow iy and never throw crotch shots.    However I have done it where it is tolerated in Issan and at the big temple at Pattaya Tai down town.  if I'm requested to rent pants I comply no problem.  IMHO this woman was just clueless brain dead.  You wouldn't do that in a church at home.

amazing how police can hunt down foreigners so efficiently, never so good with elite thais breaking the laws :-/

The couple here while a little stupid had no real ill intent, seems half the police force here have lunch with foreign mafia and live off money from illegal practice it all rather out of priority and childish !

• 4 weeks later...

if the culture of Thailand is that short skirts are not allowed in temples and certain areas are restricted out of respect for beliefs then that is fine HOWEVER what this says about Thailand is that they prefer to get a gang of police mafia together and arrest people and make a big deal of it rather than state dress restrictions at the entrance and rope off certain areas.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bizboi said:

if the culture of Thailand is that short skirts are not allowed in temples and certain areas are restricted out of respect for beliefs then that is fine HOWEVER what this says about Thailand is that they prefer to get a gang of police mafia together and arrest people and make a big deal of it rather than state dress restrictions at the entrance and rope off certain areas.  

Spot on.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, Darcula said:

Has anyone seen an actual pic of those Serb tourists at the cophouse when they were booked? 

Why sir, what are you saying? That the policeman might be telling porkie pies so he looks good?

Astonishing, you have a dirty mind kind sir.:smile:

On 4/15/2018 at 8:57 AM, joeyg said:

No but it's the custom so I follow iy and never throw crotch shots.    However I have done it where it is tolerated in Issan and at the big temple at Pattaya Tai down town.  if I'm requested to rent pants I comply no problem.  IMHO this woman was just clueless brain dead.  You wouldn't do that in a church at home.

You wouldn’t catch me in a church, and if you did, yes I would

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

You wouldn’t catch me in a church, and if you did, yes I would

Churches and Temples are where bigger fetishes are exercised than short skirts. Or long ones that ride up and give some moronic guard with the education of a house brick to tut and suck his teeth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/03/2018 at 5:13 PM, the guest said:

It's their country, Thailand is for Thais they can do what they want. Foreigners are just mere guests 

No you and the Thais just don't get it. The Thais are here to serve and obey the foreigners every wish and desire. 

• Haha 1

On 01/04/2018 at 6:09 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

lol! I love to see foreigners come to a country and criticize how the locals live especially when I think of how they would react if a bunch of foreigners came to their country and complain about how THEY live!!~

You seem to forget that what you call complaining is constructive criticism and would improve the country. But the Thais can't accept any advice whatsoever.  Even when they are as usual wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Farrows3399 said:

You seem to forget that what you call complaining is constructive criticism and would improve the country. But the Thais can't accept any advice whatsoever.  Even when they are as usual wrong. 

Lol! how typical. when farang criticize , they are trying to help the country. but when foreigners criticize their country, they are meddlers who should shut up or leave. western ideas are good, local ideas are WRONG!! lol

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WHYWHY said:

True Respect Runs both ways 

We try to respect laws that change or made up at the time.

Reminds me of a story where some Thai Nationals on a visit to another 

Country  defaced a important site 

Where was it?

On 5/19/2018 at 3:49 PM, Farrows3399 said:

True. The 'I love Thais' brigade are at it again. Saying that foreigners who have been granted the right to live here, or who have paid good money to spend a little time here, have no say and are not entitled to an opinion is just stupid (the Thai passport is in the mail). Arguing that Thais own Thailand and foreigners don't is tantamount to seeing 2 fleas arguing about which one owns the dog. Stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

It works both ways......inflicting 10 times entry fee on white's only is a disgrace on its own, Thai pack fighters on walking street in Pattaya or rip offs in zero tours.....naturally wear a decent bikini and don't show your intimate area near a temple......they are right we are special guests !!

20 minutes ago, hgma said:

It works both ways......inflicting 10 times entry fee on white's only is a disgrace on its own, Thai pack fighters on walking street in Pattaya or rip offs in zero tours.....naturally wear a decent bikini and don't show your intimate area near a temple......they are right we are special guests !!

inflicting 10 times entry fee on white's only is a disgrace on its own

Just for your information, the inflated fees are NOT ONLY for 'whites' it is also for the 'other colours' too - it applies to all 'foreigners', irrespective of their colour or creed. 

Just now, ravip said:

inflicting 10 times entry fee on white's only is a disgrace on its own

Just for your information, the inflated fees are NOT ONLY for 'whites' it is also for the 'other colours' too - it applies to all 'foreigners', irrespective of their colour or creed. 

10 times entry fee? Which establishment is that?