Ads pulled from Laura Ingraham's Fox News show after she mocked Parkland survivor

webfact

Ads pulled from Ingraham show after she mocked Parkland survivor

By Suzannah Gonzales

2018-03-29T204852Z_1_LYNXMPEE2S1VJ_RTROPTP_4_USA-GUNS-BOYCOTT.JPG

A combination of file photos show media personality Laura Ingraham in Washington October 14, 2017 and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Hogg, at a rally in Washington March 24, 2018. REUTERS/Mary F. Calvert, Jonathan Ernst/Files

(Reuters) - At least five companies said on Thursday they were dropping advertisements from Laura Ingraham's Fox News show after the conservative pundit mocked a teenage survivor of the Florida school massacre on Twitter and he responded with a call for a boycott.

Parkland student David Hogg, 17, tweeted a list of a dozen companies that advertise on "The Ingraham Angle" and urged his supporters to demand that they cancel their ads.

Hogg is a survivor of the Feb. 14 mass shooting that killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the Parkland suburb of Fort Lauderdale. He and other classmates have become the faces of a new youth-led movement calling for tighter restrictions on firearms.

Hogg took aim at Ingraham's advertisers after she taunted him on Twitter on Wednesday, accusing him of whining about being rejected by four colleges to which he had applied.

On Thursday, Ingraham tweeted an apology "in the spirit of Holy Week," saying she was sorry for any hurt or upset she had caused Hogg or any of the "brave victims" of Parkland.

"For the record, I believe my show was the first to feature David ... immediately after that horrific shooting and even noted how 'poised' he was given the tragedy," Ingraham tweeted.

But her apology did not stop companies from departing.

Nutrish, the pet food line created by celebrity chef Rachael Ray, travel website TripAdvisor Inc <TRIP.O>, online home furnishings seller Wayfair Inc <W.N>, the world's largest packaged food company, Nestle SA <NESN.S> and travel website Expedia Group Inc <EXPE.O> all said they were cancelling their advertisements.

Wayfair said in a statement that it supports dialogue and debate, but "the decision of an adult to personally criticize a high school student who has lost his classmates in an unspeakable tragedy is not consistent with our values."

Replying to Hogg's boycott call, Nutrish tweeted: "We are in the process of removing our ads from Laura Ingraham's program."

A Nutrish representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Responding to public pressure, Nestle wrote on Twitter that it had "no plans to buy ads on the show in future."

CNBC cited a TripAdvisor spokesman as saying the company does not condone "inappropriate comments" by Ingraham that "cross the line of decency."

TripAdvisor representatives did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Expedia, which was not on Hogg's list or another list of sponsors that Hogg retweeted, "no longer advertises on this show," Expedia spokeswoman Maureen Thon said in an email.

Hogg wrote on Twitter that an apology just to mollify advertisers was insufficient. He said he would accept it only if Ingraham denounced the way Fox News treated him and his friends.

"It's time to love thy neighbor, not mudsling at children," Hogg tweeted.

Ingraham's show runs on Fox News, part of Rupert Murdoch's Twenty-First Century Fox Inc <FOXA.O>.

(Reporting by Suzannah Gonzales in Chicago; Additional reporting by Gina Cherelus in New York; Editing by David Gregorio and Matthew Lewis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-30
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This picture of her shows what Make up can do, or not.!

She has always been bigmouthed and uninformed like most at Fox.

The loudest, foulmouthed and screaming bunch of opinionated presenters in the world.

Hope Trump will hire some of them, they would fit in perfectly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Hard to say.

According to the article, she didn't mock him for being a victim. She mocked him for whining about college places. So before passing judgement - I'd like to know if that's true or not.

I'd normally say "follow the money" and side with the advertisers but the world has gone so PC lately that pulling ads is almost an ad in itself. "look how PC we are, we pulled our ads". It's a great way to get coverage.

In fact, who knows - the advertisers may have been in on it...

They can't shut them down due to freedom of speech, so the plan is to target individual opinion leaders on Fox and get them defunded, so they are shut down. Censorship by removal.

They already tried with Hannity, but failed.

I don't understand how the funding is targeted to individual shows, rather than as a station as a whole, but apparently it is.

Personally, she is not my favourite host on Fox by a long shot, but she has a following.

The ultimate aim is to remove any that have a public platform opposing the leftist movement, and it seems like Fox is the main one at present.

O Reilley is an example of what happens when successfully targeted. Removed because of bad publicity, but never proven to have done anything wrong.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am quite conflicted about this and similar stories.

I think she is a vile, loathsome, ideologically-scary, giant B****, but on the other hand her show isn't news (despite trying to look like it is) and even she has the right to free speech, no matter how offensive.

There is already waaaaaaay too much tribalism and polarization in the world; do we really want to go down the road where advertisers have to "pick a side" as well?

Based on the story above, it sounds like she was insensitive and stupid, but are those crimes? Not to me.

Perhaps we all need to chill a bit...

So what you're really saying, bottom line, is that her comments are OK?

Freedom of speech is just fine, but surely it comes with responsibilities and with some ethical boundaries? Perhaps it's also true that the media has a responsibility in this area?

Is there not st

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Vile? Have you actually watched her show?

I'm not a fan of hers, but she's hardly "vile". There are others in the political scene that are "vile", but all she does is oppose the leftists, which, last time I looked, was a normal part of political discourse. 

No, she really is vile. Not sure about her photo at the start of the OP though, it looks like a very poor photoshop effort of making her look overly wrinkly with bad skin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am quite conflicted about this and similar stories.

I think she is a vile, loathsome, ideologically-scary, giant B****, but on the other hand her show isn't news (despite trying to look like it is) and even she has the right to free speech, no matter how offensive.

There is already waaaaaaay too much tribalism and polarization in the world; do we really want to go down the road where advertisers have to "pick a side" as well?

Based on the story above, it sounds like she was insensitive and stupid, but are those crimes? Not to me.

Perhaps we all need to chill a bit...

You are quite right, a "Fox News Show" is not about news at all.  Unfortunately many think it is and Fox should rename such shows accordingly.  I also agree about freedom of speech as long as it is presented as opinion and in no way attached as so called "news".

• Thanks 1

I remember the rabble rouser students from the 60's and 70's; no wonder a college doesn't want him on their campus. Of course he has every right to whine, it is an entitlement of American teenagers after all. 

• Confused 1