Thailand - not worldwide- health insurance

PaDavid

I'm nearly 72 and have for some time been trying to find affordable health insurance. The main problem is that all the companies I've found offer only worldwide cover, which bumps up the cost. Does anyone know of a company that provides insurance solely for Thailand? I know some of the banks do, but mostly their websites are purely in Thai. Siam Bank has an English version, but they appear to offer cover only up to the age of 65. 

• Like 1

Have a look at this, I don't think it has gotten off the ground yet and from what I read it will only provide cover for Thai Government Hospitals, which is better than nothing.

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhexzou1m0p0vkp/Proposal of new Thai health insurance.pdf?dl=0

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

I was just looking for health insurance myself yesterday - I came up with this local website that will even do you an online quote. Covers up to 90 years old...

https://misterprakan.com/en/health/health-insurance-thailand

It also says this '

FAQs

Who can apply?

This all depends on the Insurance companies, with some insurance companies you can apply until 70 years old, but most insurance companies only accept new entries until the age of 64 or 60.'

Personally you are screwed unless you are rich and if you are rich you wouldn't be looking for insurance?

Keep looking don't give up whatever people put up and usually do the research and as always usually find a problem. If you have any pre-conditions sorry you are screwed!

For F.Y.I.  there are a number of Forums on this topic already you should check them out by clicking forum and then clicking related Medical.

46 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Personally you are screwed unless you are rich and if you are rich you wouldn't be looking for insurance?

Keep looking don't give up whatever people put up and usually do the research and as always usually find a problem. If you have any pre-conditions sorry you are screwed!

For F.Y.I.  there are a number of Forums on this topic already you should check them out by clicking forum and then clicking related Medical.

I thought you said he was screwed unless he was Rich, then you tell him to search, then you say any pre-conditions and he is screwed again, as you can see he has been given plenty of good choices in this thread already, stop being so Alarmist, contradicting yourself at every turn,Sheesh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

I thought you said he was screwed unless he was Rich, then you tell him to search, then you say any pre-conditions and he is screwed again, as you can see he has been given plenty of good choices in this thread already, stop being so Alarmist, contradicting yourself at every turn,Sheesh.

Get your head out of the sand but I hope what he is looking and get what he wants? 

I said search because he is a bit lazy, there is great information but if he had done more research first on the forum for Medical he would have found out all the answers there is tons of it including a lot of comments at that age with any type of pre-existing condition yes he is screwed because most likely he isn't going to be excepted.

Now he will also fine those worldwide policies fill out the form for a quote and he will find like most of us you are talking a lot of money lots! 

Alarmist, I don't think, maybe you can give us your positive experience or even better a policy and price for someone in their 70's, if I'm wrong I would glad let you know but most likely I will pick it apart once I see the fine print!

Just did a search on MisterPrakan, NO healthinsurance, if you start over 65.

Accident insurance you could start later, but the options maxed out at Baht 250,000 for medical and 1M for death or dismemberment.

Just did a search on MisterPrakan, NO healthinsurance, if you start over 65.
Accident insurance you could start later, but the options maxed out at Baht 250,000 for medical and 1M for death or dismemberment.

You can get personal accident medical cover of 625k per accident, costs 14k per year with Siam City Insurance, but post no.3 looks worth exploring

Thai insurance providers are a joke. Very high premiums for hardly any coverage. I suggest find a reputable insurance broker in the UK to find you a package to cover your needs. 

None of them will cover "Pre-existing" conditions .    If you have any  "Pre-existing" conditions you are wasting your money,   they will sell you the policy but never pay out.   
Don't pre-existing condition have a period such as within 5 years? And even if they are excluded you are still covered for things unconnected?
  • Like 1

BUPA will not issue a new policy over the age of 65.

I am not aware of any individual Thailand-only policy currently available that will enroll someone at your age, but there are group policies available through the Pattaya Expats Club and I think (not sure) also the Chiang Mai Expats club and these allow for later age enrollment so if you live in or near either of these locations check that out.

The worldwide cover policies and policies limited to Thailand do not, by the way, differ that much in cost. But the latter, issued by international companies, give a much higher level of cover. They also usually offer deductible options which can lower premiums. The problem in Thailand is that the pool of insured people is comparatively small, due to all Thais being covered under govt schemes, and that makes health insurance policies issued here relatively expensive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

BUPA will not issue a new policy over the age of 65.

I am not aware of any individual Thailand-only policy currently available that will enroll someone at your age, but there are group policies available through the Pattaya Expats Club and I think (not sure) also the Chiang Mai Expats club and these allow for later age enrollment so if you live in or near either of these locations check that out.

The worldwide cover policies and policies limited to Thailand do not, by the way, differ that much in cost. But the latter, issued by international companies, give a much higher level of cover. They also usually offer deductible options which can lower premiums. The problem in Thailand is that the pool of insured people is comparatively small, due to all Thais being covered under govt schemes, and that makes health insurance policies issued here relatively expensive.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I live a long way from both Pattaya and Chiang Mai

21 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Have a look at this, I don't think it has gotten off the ground yet and from what I read it will only provide cover for Thai Government Hospitals, which is better than nothing.

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhexzou1m0p0vkp/Proposal of new Thai health insurance.pdf?dl=0

Thanks. I've submitted the form saying I'm interested. Looks like just what I'm after. I hope it takes off

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Get your head out of the sand but I hope what he is looking and get what he wants? 

I said search because he is a bit lazy, there is great information but if he had done more research first on the forum for Medical he would have found out all the answers there is tons of it including a lot of comments at that age with any type of pre-existing condition yes he is screwed because most likely he isn't going to be excepted.

Now he will also fine those worldwide policies fill out the form for a quote and he will find like most of us you are talking a lot of money lots! 

Alarmist, I don't think, maybe you can give us your positive experience or even better a policy and price for someone in their 70's, if I'm wrong I would glad let you know but most likely I will pick it apart once I see the fine print!

A sensible reply. Thank you. Yes, I suppose I am basically lazy, but trawling through Thai Visa is very slow, slow slow on my old iPad. And, isn't this forum all about being about asking specific questions and (hopefully) receiving tailor made replies.  The other problem is I live in the sticks so not many farangs around to discuss the problem with. The few in my age group have all either buried their heads in the sand (ie no insurance) or claim to have maintained connections with their home countries which will allow them to go back for treatment. I know I can't just turn up in UK and expect the NHS to look after me as I've checked the rules. 

I know I can't just turn up in UK and expect the NHS to look after me as I've checked the rules.
. Yes that's correct unless you are returning to the UK to live on a permanent basis, in which case you're covered from day one.
You might have to convince the appropriate NHS Trust that you have indeed relocated back to the UK, property rental or purchase or something like that.

1 hour ago, PaDavid said:

A sensible reply. Thank you. Yes, I suppose I am basically lazy, but trawling through Thai Visa is very slow, slow slow on my old iPad. And, isn't this forum all about being about asking specific questions and (hopefully) receiving tailor made replies.  The other problem is I live in the sticks so not many farangs around to discuss the problem with. The few in my age group have all either buried their heads in the sand (ie no insurance) or claim to have maintained connections with their home countries which will allow them to go back for treatment. I know I can't just turn up in UK and expect the NHS to look after me as I've checked the rules. 

You reply is just that... sorry lazy and excuses,I can't do much for your IPad that is a personal problem also with you living in the Sticks.

Yes this is what the forum is all about and if you go instead of replying to me go to the ThaiVisa to the forum and look and select basically anything to do with Medical in Thailand,  you will find more than what you are looking for plus the answers. You think you are the first and last to be in your situation especially in regards to not being able to go home.  Everything you just noted or excuse is there all you got to do is click and click.  Good luck many in the same boat and that includes me!

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, sangtip2 said:
None of them will cover "Pre-existing" conditions .    If you have any  "Pre-existing" conditions you are wasting your money,   they will sell you the policy but never pay out.   

Don't pre-existing condition have a period such as within 5 years? And even if they are excluded you are still covered for things unconnected?

Insurance will find a way to connect the unconnected.

They are fussy once you are over 70 and with a slightly high BP (150/70).
The 40.000 quickly doubles. cover is not high. PC may work for very healthy folks without a health flaw.

yes, letseng, you are right premium will be 71,000 when i turn 71. indeed i am quit healthy. this insurance is for the worst case only. one can't have it all: low premium and high coverage.
in the last 10 year with the coverage at bupa i would have spent a million already and no claim. this is a very individual subject.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

They are fussy once you are over 70 and with a slightly high BP (150/70).

The 40.000 quickly doubles. cover is not high. PC may work for very healthy folks without a health flaw.

I contacted the Pacific Cross office in Udon Thani. Insurance is not available for over 65s.

The links in Pungdo's response appear to offer some hope. A Swedish expat group is working with Bangkok Insurance Brokers to come up with a plan for us old gits. If it gets launched it will only provide treatment in state hospitals (not private), but that's ok for me. It needs as many people as possible to register an interest. 

• Like 1