Baht in the bank before renewal

jonwilly

In CM we all know that immigration can be rather strict on procedural matters.

The B800,000 I am required to have in bank before my visa renewal, is it

90 days before

3 calendar months

or as my next is due on day 11 July, must the baht be in by 11th of April ?

john

At least 90 days before. They are very strict down to the one day.

I think the simpler option would be to get the 1 year Thai learning education visa with less hassle and less money.

I'm not sure whether they allow retirees above 50 to apply for education visa nowadays

Edited by EricTh

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think the simpler option would be to get the 1 year Thai learning education visa with less hassle and less money.

Why this is cheaper? And I was thinking they not give 1 year ED visa anymore only 6 months.

The 800'000 Baht is not gone.. you can use this money in the upcoming months to pay your food your rent and whatever you need to life.

I never understood why so many people not want use this method as they need some money anyway (except maybe some person who have a wife working here in Thailand and she is paying everything for them)

But one good thing about the Thai learning education visa would be that afterwards the ability to speak some thai would be better (which for many would be not that bad). And as for retirement always good to have some activities.

51 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Why this is cheaper? And I was thinking they not give 1 year ED visa anymore only 6 months.

The 800'000 Baht is not gone.. you can use this money in the upcoming months to pay your food your rent and whatever you need to life.

I never understood why so many people not want use this method as they need some money anyway (except maybe some person who have a wife working here in Thailand and she is paying everything for them)

But one good thing about the Thai learning education visa would be that afterwards the ability to speak some thai would be better (which for many would be not that bad). And as for retirement always good to have some activities.

It's cheaper because you don't have to fork out 800k which you can't use year after year if you still want to live in Thailand. It's as good as gone.

We don't need so much expenses for 9 month. Eg. my monthly expense is around 8000 baht or less which turns out to be 10k per year.

The only problem with ed visa is that there is an age limit of 50 or 55 imposed by the Thai govt.

Learning a new language over a certain age is almost impossible especially a language as different as Thai.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

It's 90 days before the date of application, not the date of expiration of your previous extension. Very few people go to Immigration on the exact date of expiration of their previous extension of stay. To do so is folly, in case they don't have all their ducks in a row and have to get one more document.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

3 calendar months.

Yep, that's what the translation of the rules say ("3 months").

(Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en)

And of course 3 months before date of application.

For the first application (after entering Thailand) it is 60 days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

We don't need so much expenses for 9 month. Eg. my monthly expense is around 8000 baht or less which turns out to be 10k per year.

The only problem with ed visa is that there is an age limit of 50 or 55 imposed by the Thai govt.

Learning a new language over a certain age is almost impossible especially a language as different as Thai.

I think about learning a language is not that impossible. It also depends. If thai would be the first foreign language to learn then this is much more complicated as when you already know how to learn a new language.

Of course thai is still different to the european or american languages because of the tones, but still possible to learn. As I am attending a school at the moment the oldest guy I see there is about 70 years old. Yes it's not easy for him, but he already can speak a little bit and I guess soon he will be able to do some small talk in thai (maybe with a lot of mistakes but most thai not care that much. They are happy when a foreigner tries to speak their language)

36 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I As I am attending a school at the moment the oldest guy I see there is about 70 years old. Yes it's not easy for him, but he already can speak a little bit and I guess soon he will be able to do some small talk in thai (maybe with a lot of mistakes but most thai not care that much. They are happy when a foreigner tries to speak their language)

Learning a few words like 1 to 100, how are you (sabai dee mai) etc doesn't qualify oneself as a speaker of that language. .

Edited by EricTh

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Learning a few words like 1 to 100, how are you (sabai dee mai) etc doesn't qualify oneself as a speaker of that language. .

I not talk about a few words. I am talking about in 4-5 months he will be able to have a Smalltalk with a thai person. Why you think he will be able to speak only a few words?

If someone really intend to speak with thais it's possible for many to learn if they want… the problem is more that most not want start with the language at all. 

It's always easier to tell that this is not possible to learn at a certain age than to really try!

20 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I not talk about a few words. I am talking about in 4-5 months he will be able to have a Smalltalk with a thai person. Why you think he will be able to speak only a few words?

If someone really intend to speak with thais it's possible for many to learn if they want… the problem is more that most not want start with the language at all. 

It's always easier to tell that this is not possible to learn at a certain age than to really try!

Some Thai language teachers confided in me that the older ones have great difficulty in learning even after 4-5 months. Almost everything taught were forgotten or pronounced incorrectly.

There is an age limit imposed by the immigration for ed visa in the past due to this phenomena.

I am not talking about the younger ones (20-40 yo) who although have trouble learning but they do manage to have very simple conversation (what did you eat this morning etc) though not to the level that you and I are doing right at this moment.

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Are you sure about that? I didn't see such a requirement anywhere. Any sources? what I did hear is that this visa is very limited in length. You can't just stay on it for years and years, unlike retirement or marriage visas.

18 minutes ago, XGM said:

Are you sure about that? I didn't see such a requirement anywhere. Any sources? what I did hear is that this visa is very limited in length. You can't just stay on it for years and years, unlike retirement or marriage visas.

I am sure about it. I did ask in CMU last year.

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's cheaper because you don't have to fork out 800k which you can't use year after year if you still want to live in Thailand. It's as good as gone.

You don't have to 'fork out' 800k, you make it sound like one has to pay for it. It actually costs 1800 baht!

The 800k can, the very day after you get a retirement extension, be removed in entirety, or simply used for day to day expenses. Top it up 90 days before applying for the next extension. This should not be an issue for someone retired.

Of course the retirement extension also has an age restriction. I also agree about how difficult it is to learn Thai when older, I am hopeless after quite some effort.

14 hours ago, HampiK said:

every progress is progress

Edited by free123

14 hours ago, HampiK said:

I think about learning a language is not that impossible. It also depends. If thai would be the first foreign language to learn then this is much more complicated as when you already know how to learn a new language.

Of course thai is still different to the european or american languages because of the tones, but still possible to learn. As I am attending a school at the moment the oldest guy I see there is about 70 years old. Yes it's not easy for him, but he already can speak a little bit and I guess soon he will be able to do some small talk in thai (maybe with a lot of mistakes but most thai not care that much. They are happy when a foreigner tries to speak their language)

Tones are not the problem learning Thai. English has six tones, Thai five. The so-called "tone problem" is that English uses its tones for feelings, whereas Thai uses them for meanings. Thai vowels are the problem, around 125 including tones. I learned to speak (and read/write) Thai in 3 mths (very hard work, 8 hrs/day). BTW, Chinese is easier to speak than Thai.

If you speak Thai not only will the locals treat you far better and more respectfully, you'll experience a different way of 'seeing' the culture.  

[Retired English prof ex-Chula U]. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The 800k can, the very day after you get a retirement extension, be removed in entirety, or simply used for day to day expenses. Top it up 90 days before applying for the next extension. This should not be an issue for someone retired.

You must be from a rich country. Switzerland? Norway?

(I have zero idea what the situation in the US is)

The 65k Baht/month is about 1700 Euro/month.

800k/12 = 67k Baht.

And even though the numbers vary, this is way higher than the average old age pension in Germany.

So a German pensioner has to have substantial savings before coming to Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

800k/12 = 67k Baht.

And even though the numbers vary, this is way higher than the average old age pension in Germany.

So a German pensioner has to have substantial savings before coming to Thailand.

I do not yet get a pension, I am from the UK, at 66 I will not get much.

But I have savings and that covers me. I always feel it is useful to have a lump some here for emergencies.

If a person cannot afford the 800k, or does not have 65k/ month coming in, I guess Thailand feels he or she cannot afford to retire here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

800k/12 = 67k Baht.

I think it would be good to have some savings anyway for some emergency.

Especially when this person told that they do self-insurance (then they should have the spare money to show Immigration). As you are from Germany I think there is a way you can use your German health insurance… Or I was thinking I read one time something like that which is an advantage if that is correct.

But I have to agree, that it's depending on the country as for some countries this is a lot of money.

4 minutes ago, HampiK said:

As you are from Germany

I am not German but lived there most of my life and so depend on German pension.

I know quite well that most Swiss fellows are far from such worries :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

COUNT the days out of a calendar, twice to make sure. It's a major hassle if you're even a day off--no exceptions!

I put mine in term deposits so each a tiny amount of interest. BUT IT'S MONEY THAT DOESN'T EXIST! I NEVER touch that bank account. If you use those funds, inevitable, sometime you'll forget and be screwed on extension day.

Incidentally, OP was correct. Take advantage of the 30 days in advance application.