UK passport renewal from Thailand

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum regarding UK passport renewal while in Thailand?

(If it’s not, I’m sure a mod could move my post to the correct place.)

My UK passport doesn’t need renewing just yet, but I am trying to be organised so I can be clear regarding some of the requirements.

I see the fee for a 50-page jumbo passport has increased to £128.51, including the courier fee from the UK back to Thailand.

On the page on the gov.uk website, in Table A (for renewal) is required “name and address and/or residency evidence.”

That says, “one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year.

You must get documents that aren’t in English – including documents showing an address – fully translated by a professional translator.”

Originally I was hoping to use my yellow housebook or pink ID card, but neither of those are “dated within the last year”

I thought about my AIS bill, but that doesn’t come from a “local government department.”

Also, what is acceptable as “translated by a professional translator”?

What have others used successfully as proof of their address?

I'll move this to one of the visa forums where those-as-knows hang out.

IIRC there have been a few members with similar issues, so a forum search may turn something up.

You only need proof of address for here. It does not have to be from a government agency.

People used utility bills, Thai drivers license and etc. If in Thai it has to be translated by an agency that can do a stamp on it.

Maybe I've been reading this too literally, as it said, "dated within the last year". I took that to mean issued within the last year.

So as long as someone has successfully used say, a driving licence, that was currently valid at the time, but not necessarily "issued" within that year, it sounds like it would be OK. Good.

Pleased to hear a bank statement was accepted too, although I'd need to get  mine translated into English, as the address is in Thai.

I've used a local language school showing their letter-heading, when I translated my passport into Thai for my yellow housebook, So I hope that would be accepted by VFS at Trendy too.

Thanks for all the replies, put my mind at rest about it. Obviously I'll call VFS when it's nearer the time, just to confirm everything.

If anyone has other comments regarding their experience of UK passport renewal from Thailand, I'd be pleased to hear them too, thanks.

44 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I used an agent here in Pattaya, they do all the legwork, literally. I took in 2 photo's, they copied my driving licence (for the address) I signed the forms and went home until I got a call a couple weeks later telling me to go to the agents office to pick it up, an absolute doddle :biggrin: And well worth the additional 5 k Baht to not to have to faff about making appointments at Trendy House/ building whatever, and having to travel to BKK twice.   

how long ago was that. only reason i ask is because i 'heard', don't know for sure, that now they all had to be done in person?

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Obviously I'll call VFS when it's nearer the time, just to confirm everything.

It is not possible to phone them direct. Instead you'll need to call the Passport Adviceline back on the UK on +44 300 222 0000 between 8am and 8pm UK time Monday to Friday, or 9am to 5.30pm UK time Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

Edited by OJAS

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

how long ago was that. only reason i ask is because i 'heard', don't know for sure, that now they all had to be done in person?

It does, indeed, all need to be done in person, but that person needn't be the applicant himself (or herself).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

My new passport is dated as issued 10 Jan 2018 :thumbsup: 

The agent kept my old passport in their office safe during the process but should I have needed it I only had to make a phone call, they take the old passport when they collect the new one so the staff at Trendy can cut the corners off,  you also get a letter from the Embassy (photocopy :biggrin: ) whereby you just fill in the gaps and take it to your local immigration office so they can transfer all your visas etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

My new passport is dated as issued 10 Jan 2018 :thumbsup: 

The agent kept my old passport in their office safe during the process but should I have needed it I only had to make a phone call, they take the old passport when they collect the new one so the staff at Trendy can cut the corners off,  you also get a letter from the Embassy (photocopy :biggrin: ) whereby you just fill in the gaps and take it to your local immigration office so they can transfer all your visas etc. 

nice and easy then. i got one maybe 2 years ago from trendy and they even gave a waterproof pouch for songkran. no shit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, akampa said:

The people at VFS  do have some language problems like NO UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOUR SAYING in my experience  anyway.

You really don't need to talk with them, you send them a email to confirm a appointment time, they reply in English which is written  clearly enough for anybody who can read English to understand,  you then visit the Trendy Building and hand in your application, they check it, when it's ready you go back and pick it up, conversation apart from thanks very much is really not needed

Their English is actually pretty good, maybe it's you with the problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, darrendsd said:

You really don't need to talk with them, you send them a email to confirm a appointment time, they reply in English which is written  clearly enough for anybody who can read English to understand,  you then visit the Trendy Building and hand in your application, they check it, when it's ready you go back and pick it up, conversation apart from thanks very much is really not needed

Their English is actually pretty good, maybe it's you with the problem?

You do need to talk with them, questions arise that  they need to explain to you and they were not clear enough in there explanation which led to a delay and communication with the passport office in Liverpool to sort out. Everything is not so clear cut and problems do arise and they need to talk with the applicant  in good English which when I was there just 1 month ago did not have. "Pretty good English is not good enough"

Edited by akampa

8 minutes ago, akampa said:

You do need to talk with them, questions arise that  they need to explain to you and they were not clear enough in there explanation which led to a delay and communication with the passport office in Liverpool to sort out. Everything is not so clear cut and problems do arise and they need to talk with the applicant  in good English which when I was there just 1 month ago did not have. "Pretty good English is not good enough"

enough in there explanation which led to a

people in glass houses... :whistling:

16 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

agents ?? give you a clue    you need this to unlock doors etc   but i think TV has in its search section such sponsored services

Dam good company, got my renewed passport back in 17 days!

I also used an agent in Pattaya , Key Visa, excellent service, checked all the paperwork, took it to Bangkok  and two weeks later they called to say they had my new passport. I know some may find the 5000 baht fee expensive but from a personal perspective it was well worth it saving me two trips to Bangkok and dealing with the staff in a Trendy! 

2 hours ago, akampa said:

The staff at Trendy are there to take your application and then hand your new one back to you

There is a Passport advice line which is to be used when you have questions/problems, this number is clearly shown on the Passport application website

The Passport website DOES NOT say contact the staff at Trendy if you have any problems or questions

It seems that it is YOU that has a problem understanding English

Edited by darrendsd

4 hours ago, akampa said:

Agreed, and this is not the first time I've read on here about English language comprehension challenges faced by VFS staff. If this turned out to be a widespread issue, then the obvious easiest solution as far as HMPO are concerned would be to require us to provide certified Thai translations of completed application forms and all supporting docs. In that way, all potential or real problems relating to a particular application could, hopefully, be ironed out without the need for VFS staff to attempt a discussion with the applicant in pidgin English.

That said, whether we would all welcome yet another burden being imposed on us by HMPO at passport renewal time is, of course, another matter.

Edited by OJAS

38 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Agreed, and this is not the first time I've read on here about English language comprehension challenges faced by VFS staff. If this turned out to be a widespread issue, then the obvious easiest solution as far as HMPO are concerned would be to require us to provide certified Thai translations of completed application forms and all supporting docs. In that way, all potential or real problems relating to a particular application could, hopefully, be ironed out without the need for VFS staff to attempt a discussion with the applicant in pidgin English.

That said, whether we would all welcome yet another burden being imposed on us by HMPO at passport renewal time is, of course, another matter.

I really don't understand the problem, you fill in the application form which is YOUR responsibility  to ensure is correct, supply the very minimal supporting documents, go to apply then go to pick up your new PP

If you are doing everything correctly then the need to speak to the VFS staff is non existent

If you have a issue then you contact the Passport advice line in the UK, the VFS staff are NOT there to assist you with issues, that's what the Passport advice line is for, they are there to process your application, nothing more

I have applied for a new PP twice in the last 3 years, no issues whatsoever, if you have issues then you really need to be questioning yourself on what you are doing wrong or questioning yourself on why you don't understand what the VFS staff are actually there to do

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, bluesofa said:

On the page on the gov.uk website, in Table A (for renewal) is required “name and address and/or residency evidence.”

You need to read Table A again

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

At the top of the list under "Name and Address and/or residency evidence" is 

"visa or resident permit or colour photocopy"

The fact is that HMPO are not really interested in your address because they are not posting the passport to it. The endorsement by the Thai authorities is sufficient evidence for them that your passport has been inspected on entry to Thailand and that you have an address known to them. On that basis I'm sure that my wife, as a dual national and therefore legally resident in Thailand had no need of anything other than her Tabien baan, and I would be surprised if they didn't accept your yellow book. But in truth, all you need is the current extension stamp in your passport, assuming you have that.

• Thanks 1