Tourism and Sports Minister confirms safety of Thailand as tourist destination

webfact

4 hours ago, smedly said:

someone tell this guy that April Fools only lasts until noon on the 1st

what a shocking statement to make

His a <deleted> and has not got a clue. Will thais stop beating up old men and wives. Will thais stop scamming foriengers. Etc etc

• Like 1

Andyfez  I agree, that there have been many a young or old tourist who have rented

powerful motorbikes they have no experience with, they crash it and injure and even

kill themselves.  They are the one who rented the bikes , so in my opinion, they are at

fault for their injuries or death. This injuries or death to the tourists who also fall over

the too low balconies, are also in my opinion, their own faults, as when they are sober and

see that the balconies are low, should have been more cautious when they are not.

Too many people do not take responsibility for their actions, and will also try put blame

where it does not belong.  I have been to Thailand many times and am lucky enough to still

be alive. I have also been to the USA several times and feel luck to be alive. Heck even driving

in my city in Canada, I feel lucky that I am still alive.  If the Tourism guy wants people to believe

that Thailand is a safe destination, I do hope he will do all he can to try get the highway and street

deaths down a lot. Good Luck with that!

Geezer

Does this dork, who will at least be remembered for getting the government press office to coin a new  English verb (asuted- <deleted>?) even bother to read the newspapers he and other government spokesmen bombard with their delusional propaganda?

If he did he would know that less than a year ago the mass-circulation daily The Nation led its front page with the headline "Thailand ‘among top 20 most dangerous countries to visit".

The  report it highlighted revealed that out of 136 popular destinations put under the microscope by the World Economic Forum’s most recent Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report, Thailand came in 118th with a pathetic 4.0 score (out of a possible 7) for safety and security.

Thailand's lowly ranking is based on the assessment of risk to tourists and businesses posed by violence and terrorism.  It doesn't even take into account the formidable toll of visitor deaths on Thailand's roads, recently labeled the most dangerous in the world!

For a reality check, the tourism minister, and anybody else who is interested in the facts rather than flimflam, here's a link:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317678

Edited by Krataiboy

Words, words, words, the truth is that Thailand is a really very dangerous country not only because of the many assaults that happen often (that is similar to other tourists destinations), mostly for the traffic situation, especially in Thai tourists destination.

There just has to be some disclaimer somewhere  ?

There again, young Brits who arrive here in the candy store have no idea of any self control.

I see with disgust that the new faze is to "king hit" if get into a skirmish ...ie' finish it with one whack.

They have teachers in the UK teaching them how to do it by whacking the side lobe.

So let mje get this straight, all tourists are safe...okl, so no more 

1 deaths by badly driven bus/mini-vans 

2 Assaults by  upset street sellers

3, No more tourists robbed and beaten by various establishments visited by foreigners

4 No more scams by the RTP for a foreigner to retain his freedom 

5 All beaches are patrolled by the police and lifeguards to ensure safety all the time 

6 All checks and inspections are carried out on ALL forms of public transport to ensure the safety of passengers , all of the time . 

7 Drivers of said public transport are clearly qualified and undergo rigorous checks before driving said vehicles. 

In my dreams and his . methinks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Andyfez  I agree, that there have been many a young or old tourist who have rented

powerful motorbikes they have no experience with, they crash it and injure and even

kill themselves.  They are the one who rented the bikes , so in my opinion, they are at

fault for their injuries or death. This injuries or death to the tourists who also fall over

the too low balconies, are also in my opinion, their own faults, as when they are sober and

see that the balconies are low, should have been more cautious when they are not.

Too many people do not take responsibility for their actions, and will also try put blame

where it does not belong.  I have been to Thailand many times and am lucky enough to still

be alive. I have also been to the USA several times and feel luck to be alive. Heck even driving

in my city in Canada, I feel lucky that I am still alive.  If the Tourism guy wants people to believe

that Thailand is a safe destination, I do hope he will do all he can to try get the highway and street

deaths down a lot. Good Luck with that!

Geezer

When will people like you and Andyfez understand that humans will always make mistakes and make bad decisions. It is upto those responsible with their safety to reduce the dangers where possible. In the UK you cannot hire a motorcycle without a license, this simple law saves many lives. Guns are banned here which also saves many lives. Building regulations are strictly enforced. The list is endless meaning those same young Brits do not die here as often as they do in Thailand. 

It is time people who provide services take responsibility for the safety of the people they are profiting from. 

where it does not belong - like the person who rents a big bike to a young man who does not have a licence and blames him when he crashes.

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

The one thing that really gets me is tourist going out in a boat to do some diving or snorkelling and being hacked up by a boat propeller driven by a stupid negligent moron.

This seems to occur with some regularity. 

There are things I would like to do in this country but will not, as the operators cannot be trusted with your safety.

There was a development in the case of the Norwegian girl Silje Mathisen who was killed on Koh Tao during a diving lesson in 2014.

The news went under the radar in Thailand.

The boat captain was ordered to pay 10,000 baht but avoided jail. He received a suspended prison sentence of 2 years. His probation period is 3 years. This was reported on 30 March 2018 in the Norwegian newspaper called Dagbladet. (Thai Visa does not accept links to non-English stories)

The scuba instructor Ricky Collins who was charged managed to leave Thailand and did not face trial.

Scuba Junction did not lodge the mandatory 1,000,000 baht insurance but blamed a faulty fax machine for that so the family got no payment there either.

The whole episode was largely swept under the carpet. 

• Like 1

Change 1  I think that England is much like Canada and Australia, sort of nanny countries.

Thailand is nothing like the 3 countries, so tourist be ware!  Canadians do not die in Canada

as much as in Thailand by motorcycle accidents, because we have similar laws that England

and Australia do. That does not mean that all renters in Thailand have to be anymore

hard to deal with than they are, even if you and I think that they should be exactly like the 3

developed countries. Just have an international drivers licence that includes motorcycle licence,

have your travel insurance with you and best of all have the good luck to surivive your time in

Thailand, then you will be all right.

Geezer

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Change 1  I think that England is much like Canada and Australia, sort of nanny countries.

Thailand is nothing like the 3 countries, so tourist be ware!  Canadians do not die in Canada

as much as in Thailand by motorcycle accidents, because we have similar laws that England

and Australia do. That does not mean that all renters in Thailand have to be anymore

hard to deal with than they are, even if you and I think that they should be exactly like the 3

developed countries. Just have an international drivers licence that includes motorcycle licence,

have your travel insurance with you and best of all have the good luck to surivive your time in

Thailand, then you will be all right.

Geezer

I think I understand where you are coming from and I broadly agree. The lack of nanny state is an attraction for me and many others. I just have a bee in my bonnet about blaming someone for a bad decision or mistake. This is because we all do it and that is why Thailand is unsafe. It is Thailands fault as much as the tourists.

Think about this and you will see my way of thinking -

An experienced person operating a stamping press making ashtrays crushes his hand when he presses the foot pedal before getting his hand out in time.

Who's to blame?

I would think you are pretty safe in Thailand if you do the following:

Don’t ride a motorbike.

Don’t ride in any busses or mini vans.

Don’t hang out in seedy areas late at night.

Don’t pick any fights with anyone.

Don’t drink so much that you get out of control.

Stay away from drugs.

Just doing these 6 things will greatly reduce the danger of being in Thailand. I would guess that the people who do these 6 things leave Thailand in one piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I would think you are pretty safe in Thailand if you do the following:

Don’t ride a motorbike.

Don’t ride in any busses or mini vans.

Don’t hang out in seedy areas late at night.

Don’t pick any fights with anyone.

Don’t drink so much that you get out of control.

Stay away from drugs.

Just doing these 6 things will greatly reduce the danger of being in Thailand. I would guess that the people who do these 6 things leave Thailand in one piece.

Why come to Thailand? Might as well be bored and safe in Spain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1