Over 3.5 million dogs and cats vaccinated to stop rabies outbreak

webfact

Over 3.5 million dogs and cats vaccinated to stop rabies outbreak

By Thai PBS

rabies.jpg

The Livestock Development Department (LDD) has vaccinated more than 3.5 million dogs and cats nationwide and sterilized 1.5 million of them in an attempt to eradicate rabies.

Currently, temporary outbreak zones remain in 31 provinces, including parts of Bangkok.

As rabies outbreak had spread to 31 provinces, the LDD had vaccinated 3.5 million cats and dogs since October last year and expected to have 80% of the 8.2 million cat and dog vaccinated by May, said the LDD director-general Mr Apai Suttisunk.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/3-5-million-dogs-cats-vaccinated-stop-rabies-outbreak/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-03
  • Like 2

So the answer is just to vaccinate them but never mind that there are so many of them protecting what they claim to be their street attacking people

Just had a brain spasm 

Didn't they say they were going to put collars on them with a tag that identified that they had been vaccinated

Well I have a neighbor that just got 9 done (she's rich ) by a qualified vet but I wouldn't know 

I just have to take her word for it since I see nothing on the dogs "as above "

Must of been good workers to make that many collars & tags in a short time

ok the vaccine will somewhat control the outbreak but the problem of stray animals won't be solved in this manner unfortunately....at one point it will be sadly necessary to take more radical steps, no matter how much one can love all animals...

• Like 1

................and if you believed that one I have a floating bridge over the Mekong I'll sell ya - of course, its invisible, but it exists.............19,000 dogs a day???   Yeah Raiiight!!!  would have been abetter idea to inject them all with heroin and use the meat for pig food.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 2

Done it in Europe dropped pellets on the floor which taste nice the Dogs/fox's etc eat them job done. One of the good ideas of the EEC do not know the progress but it was working to drive rabies progression back any sense they will wipe it out in Europe.

Firstly no cull or mass extermination. It would appear that even the Thai authorities have grasped that one.

Seems an awfully high figure though... hope it's not tinged by too much optimism.

There are 10 million or so dogs in Thailand and one needs a 70% vaccination rate to achieve herd immunity.

So assuming owners are taking advantage of this program and street dogs are being vaccinated too, it might just be a successful effort.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 8:58 PM, observer90210 said:

ok the vaccine will somewhat control the outbreak but the problem of stray animals won't be solved in this manner unfortunately....at one point it will be sadly necessary to take more radical steps, no matter how much one can love all animals...

Spread of rabies is permanently or long term controlled by vaccination. The population is then controlled by neutering and control of the food supply.

If the program is capture ,vaccinate, neuter and return, (as in Bangkok, Phuket etc.), then it will result in reducing the dog population to manageable levels within about 5 years..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluedoc said:

The usual unqualified figures. They just say things to justify their position. Who makes this stuff up? 

How do you conclude they are "unqualified" - what does that mean anyway?

To come up with these figures is quite easy. There are specific numbers of vaccines issued and consumed.

Are you suggesting a massive scale of corruption?  You may want to suggest that many of these are not bring administered and the vaccines simply disposed of or sold on, but if sold on, they are still likely to be used anyhow...

On 4/4/2018 at 9:31 AM, Orton Rd said:

No mention how many soi dogs they did, where the real problem lies. Appears to be millions of pets they have vaccinated, or claim to have.

Nearly hAlf of all rabies cases in Thailand cone from pets. The problem with pets too is that they often travel around the country with their owners and can spread the disease that way.

If a pet is vaccinated and bitten by a roaming dog, then the disease isn't past on, so eventually a herd immunity can be achieved.

In Bangkok there is currently a program to vaccinate and neuter all roaming dogs (640,000) over the best 6 years or so.. this is by far the most effective way to deal with the problem and would be greatly improved if the BMA addressed the garbage problem.

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Spread of rabies is permanently or long term controlled by vaccination. The population is then controlled by neutering and control of the food supply.

If the program is capture ,vaccinate, neuter and return, (as in Bangkok, Phuket etc.), then it will result in reducing the dog population to manageable levels within about 5 years..

that's fine as long as those responsible dont get their dirty hands on the supply,its already been well documented that last yrs.supply of vaccines by the supliers were fake,but someone in office got hold of them and gave them to his dear wife.yes that's right and there's more she is a vet.but a new supply seems to be working so its full steam ahead.

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Nearly hAlf of all rabies cases in Thailand cone from pets. The problem with pets too is that they often travel around the country with their owners and can spread the disease that way.

If a pet is vaccinated and bitten by a roaming dog, then the disease isn't past on, so eventually a herd immunity can be achieved.

In Bangkok there is currently a program to vaccinate and neuter all roaming dogs (640,000) over the best 6 years or so.. this is by far the most effective way to deal with the problem and would be greatly improved if the BMA addressed the garbage problem.

So most cases are not from pets. They seem to have forgotten our part of Bangkok, nobody has seen or heard of soi dogs or pets being vaccinated. I think the numbers they claim to have vaccinated are not entirely true, but there is probably money to be made here somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

So most cases are not from pets. They seem to have forgotten our part of Bangkok, nobody has seen or heard of soi dogs or pets being vaccinated. I think the numbers they claim to have vaccinated are not entirely true, but there is probably money to be made here somewhere.

Money in whoever controls the vaccine 

I would wander if they had that much on hand, & if they did it may well be out of date

Also as I mentioned before, are they placing some sort of identification on these Soi dogs, for one to know they have been vaccinated

If there's no form of identification they're most likely retreating half the ones they've done

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I would wander if they had that much on hand, & if they did it may well be out of date

Also as I mentioned before, are they placing some sort of identification on these Soi dogs, for one to know they have been vaccinated

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Also as I mentioned before, are they placing some sort of identification on these Soi dogs, for one to know they have been vaccinated.

If there's no form of identification they're most likely retreating half the ones they've done

I

I think you're masking a lack of knowledge with a dose of cynicism. THere is nothing to suggest that all the  vaccines are out of date or that money is being diverted or misspent.

Suplies have been running low as you would expect with such a dramatic up turn in demand, and they have been using just one supplier, which is very unsatisfactory. there have indeed been claims that vaccines might have been substandard too - but this has or is being investigated.

The traget figure is the country has reenough to vaccinate 2.4 million dogs.

This may not have affected the SDF operation though.

All dogs are marked when vaccinated - usually by clipping an ear.. I'm not sure what process is used in this operation, but trust me they will have a system.... maybe fallible but there's a system.

the public reaction to rabies is largely due to lack of information and unpreparedness by the Health Authority who have not informed people what to do if bitten. All those who dies could have been cured if they had realised the importancce og a jab.

Also the wholesale slaughter of dogs in certain temples has led to movements of dog populations which in turns helps the spread of rabies.

Edited by Airbagwill

10 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

How do you conclude they are "unqualified" - what does that mean anyway?

To come up with these figures is quite easy. There are specific numbers of vaccines issued and consumed.

Are you suggesting a massive scale of corruption?  You may want to suggest that many of these are not bring administered and the vaccines simply disposed of or sold on, but if sold on, they are still likely to be used anyhow...

Have you seen any official data, I can answer that, no you haven’t. Your just reading what has been put in the media domain. Believe it if you want.

24 minutes ago, bluedoc said:

Have you seen any official data, I can answer that, no you haven’t. Your just reading what has been put in the media domain. Believe it if you want.

Do you mean am I quoting primary or secondary sources? Combination of both....the.g. often have to be translated from Thai.

What are your sources? What do you mean by "unqualified"?...What is "media domain" .. It seems you're making up phrases and malapropisms but there is no real substance to your comments.

I alsuspect suspect by your choice of language that you have no sources, only pure supposition.

Unfortunately this has been the problem all along with both the dog problem and the supposed rabies problem...people jumping to conclusion without getting up to speed on the situation first.

Edited by Airbagwill

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Well wait and see.....it is a 6 year program.... Or are you suggesting it isn't going on?

Edited by Airbagwill

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

All dogs are marked when vaccinated - usually by clipping an ear.. I'm not sure what process is used in this operation, but trust me they will have a system.... maybe fallible but there's a system.

Make sure you keep those blinkers on

I can tell you now that the dogs across the road (apparently the 9 the rich thai women got done ) by a proper Vet look no different

I think Airbag suits you

On 4/3/2018 at 2:35 PM, RotMahKid said:

Woow, that's about 19.500 a day, how many people they used for that.....

They did that at the city halls of each province, we also got our dogs vaccinated. We even were late and were sent to the main office where they did it.

All in all, it was all well organized and professional. No needle was taken twice. 

Edited by jenny2017

11 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

3.5 million dogs and cats vaccinated...what a total load of BS. Who dreams up these lies and then sends them to print and it's OKed? Anyone who believes anything in the press now is a compete moron.  

I believe it because I've seen the masses in our province. 

13 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

huh id  say  they  have  a  staying  power of 5  minutes here,  tomorrow all forgotten, all show no subtance

30 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I believe it because I've seen the masses in our province. 

Ive seen nothing round here and get about 6   strays  visit  my land daily