Drowning in debt: options for my Thai friend?

Married with a daughter, 34, earns 20 k and his liabilities are >20 k. His wife stopped working due to some health issue. 

Now the finance company is suing over his 2549 D-Max truck bought 2 years ago for 260 k. In court, they want 248 k. 108 k instantly? Why can't he just surrender the truck?

I have many other questions, including

1. is there personal bankruptcy?
  2. Who could help someone who is clearly out of his depth?
  3. What would be the protected amount a debtor may earn without creditors being able to grab?
  4. Unless there was fraud, how on earth can responsible lenders allow someone to pledge 100% of his total income?!?

Elsewhere, I have noticed shocking stupidity & recklessness when it comes to spending on debt. New cars (for the daughter in Bangkok, with its good public transport), Iphones, Ipads etc. Buy anything on some 30-months-finance plan.

°°°

My friend contemplated suicide. 

Surely, there must be ways to handle this better? 

My dream is to negotiate some settlements and perhaps advancing what's needed to  c l o s e  the credit cards etc. 

What kind of experiences can you share about someone like him? Are there BK lawyers? (He lives near Chiang Mai).

Say he cannot pay what the court demands. Will his home get auctioned off next? 

Closing, Google Translate has its issues. We haven't been able to communicate in English...

Thank you in advance for sharing true stories and giving tips. (I fear he has been ignoring the debt monster far too long).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Do you think that after you “advance what’s needed” that your friend will change his debt financed lifestyle and forgo all the accoutrements deemed essential for “face” in Thai society or will he just see it as a free pass to pile on more debt for more “stuff”.

All the above & I hope your not planning to get your money back

They just keep juggling money around (he no doubt probably owes others )

• Like 1

OP, The truck figures dont add up. 2 years of payments should have paid something off the principle (not 12k). He must have missed a lot of payments or maybe redrawn on the loan ?

Why can't he just surrender the truck?

Giving the car back is usually an option but its maybe worth less than the debt now. Maybe its not an option he is exploring.

What kind of experiences can you share about someone like him? Are there BK lawyers? (He lives near Chiang Mai).

There are sites like this offering debt consolidation loans

https://www.moneyguru.co.th/en/personal-loan/debt-consolidation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The more Thai friends I get, the more I realise that this story is the case for a big percentage of the population. Everywhere I have lived in Thailand and you make friends or get to know the neighbours and you realise that many are in the same boat, or worse, they also owe the money lenders as well.

It doesnt make sense, 90% of the population earns 10k-20k a month but 90% of the population are driving around in new cars with payments of 20k a month.

And what happens if the jobs are not there in the future?

According to the the International Labour Organization  up to 98 percent of workers in Thailand could lose their jobs to automation  in what it said are the most at-risk professions: Subsistence farmers; farm laborers; retail sales assistants; stall and market salespeople; livestock and dairy producers; food counter attendants; cooks; construction workers; office clerks; and junior accounting professionals.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/05/31/machines-coming-take-millions-thai-jobs-report/

On 3/4/2561 at 2:20 PM, onlycw said:

Unless there was fraud, how on earth can responsible lenders allow someone to pledge 100% of his total income?!?

There you have it in one. The guy is a complete moron for signing up to losing all his entire monthly income ! And by fraud, it would have to have been by your 'friend' stating he had a higher income. 

Stay away from this fool.

• Like 2

It is a common issue in Thailand.

Normally the person/company owed money will require the debtor to sign a court agreement for a revised repayment schedule. If this schedule is not met (and it usually is not) then the company may sue the debtor and try to recover any assets. Of course, he probably won't have any assets at this stage worth seizing.

It is possible for a person to go through a bankrupcy process, but he would only normally do this if he has considerable assets he wants to protect.

These things will work themselves out over a matter of years. If the man is lucky he might be able to get a 'loan' from a friend to bail him out for another year or so. If he is super lucky he might win the lottery or have a nice farang man help him out.

• Haha 1

Bankruptcy is not an option for him. A debtor can’t voluntarily go bankrupt here. It’s only available as a legal short cut for creditors - and then only if someone provably has total debts which exceed his assets by 1 million baht. 

Last year Bank of Thailand set up a debt clinic which is being managed by Sukhumvit Asset Management (SAM) . http://www.debtclinicbysam.com/ 

I’m not sure how active it is. It took a long time to agree operating and reporting procedures with the banks. At the launch only debts to banks were included and to be eligible, the debtors had to have at least two different bank creditors. They did plan to extend to other BOT supervised financial institutions though - not sure when that will happen. 

The reason for the high claim amount in court is probably penalty interest. If he negotiates with the creditor he may be able to get the judge to impose a settlement where a lot of that penalty is waived. As he has little income he should offer to surrender the vehicle and then pay x hundred baht per month, subject to all penalty interest and at least 50% of the unpaid contractual interest being  waived - needs to be a realistic affordable monthly payment amount though not just empty promises. Judges are sympathetic to cooperative debtors and creditors rarely get the full debt interest from a court IF the debtor does not repeatedly break promises

If there’s no compromise in court the after judgement the creditor gets an execution order and that’s when they may take further legal action to take other property like a house, normally only after they’ve repossessed and sold the vehicle though. If the debt after selling the car is small and especially if it’s mostly interest, the creditor may not bother though. 

If it’s a normal car loan though I am surprised they went to court (which costs money) before repossession of the car. I suspect either it’s just a first warning letter of legal action (to pressure him) OR they think he is not truthful about his income and assets

As others have taken obscene delight in saying, don’t lend money or guarantee his debts UNLESS you’re fully aware that this is a gift and you will not be repaid. Regardless of nationality or personal honesty, people who can’t manage money normally remain unreliable with their finances. 

Other advice you could give him:

Don’t borrow from loan sharks (including the so called car/home for cash “leasing” companies) to refinance this debt

Get in contact and stay in touch with the creditor to negotiate a partial settlement- if the case is already in court, this must be accepted by the judge

First offer should be to give them the car and waive all the remaking debt but  If they reject that, tell them to waive penalties and some or all unpaid interest

• Like 1

Live within your means. I earn 4x the salary of the OP's friend, but do not waste $ on carrs, motorbikes, or gadgets I can't afford. I take the bus, have a modest Samsung phone, and don't take luxury holidays in hotels. Enough left over for investing in my family's future each month. Really, the immaturity of hi-so wanna-bes need one message: learn your limits.

Oh, and I've stopped helping these losers who beg me for money. Ever hear of a job? Better education? Help yourself.

• Like 2

He may be better off selling the truck to the OP,  then leasing it back from him. Use the proceeds to settle the finance company debt. If he doesn't need the vehicle for work for work, walk away. No, run.

Thais don't really understand the difference between good debt and bad debt, and banks/finance companies are quite happy for that state of affairs to continue. "Face" also means most don't understand there's more to life than trying to impress friends and neighbours.

Hi-so I know has alimony of 100k a month and complains she doesn't have enough money for food. 

But she absolutely needs to stay in a gated bungalow, drive a Merc, have Birkins and kellys, send son to private school 555