VIDEO: The reality of hailing a taxi in Bangkok on a rainy night

webfact

VIDEO: The reality of hailing a taxi in Bangkok on a rainy night

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bkk.jpg

Screenshot: Facebook

Late last night, when Bangkok suffered from heavy rain and flooding, some people who tried to get home amid the summer storm found it took even more effort than usual to catch a taxi.

A video of Thais lining up to hail taxis — with all of them getting rejected by different drivers — has received over 1.6 million views since last night.

The video was posted by Facebook page “This is my way of doing things,” which shares local news and viral videos, with this caption, “The generosity taxi drivers have for their fellow Thais at 10pm on a rainy night.”

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/video-reality-hailing-taxi-bangkok-rainy-night/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-04-03

Cabbies fined 1,000 baht each for refusing to accept passengers

By Thai PBS

cabbies.jpg

Two taxi drivers in Bangkok  were fined 1,000 baht each and ordered to undergo behavioral training course for three hours after they refused to accept passengers.

The two cabbies were summoned to the Land Transport Department on Tuesday to meet with the chief inspector of the department, Mr Sukree Charuphum, after they were accused by passengers of refusing to accept them.

The incident took place in front of Siam Square shopping district in Bangkok on late Monday night when it was raining. One of the passengers who was rejected by the cabbies posted in the social media, saying there were several passengers waiting for taxies and there were several taxies with the “vacancy” light switched on, but none of them accepted the passengers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabbies-fined-1000-baht-refusing-accept-passengers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-04

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

After the Chinese lady crapped in a taxi last week maybe they are a bit more cautious who pick up.:hit-the-fan:

People asking to be taken to a service station bathroom are being rejected outright.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can they not get into the cab, and then tell the driver where they want to go and for him to put the meter on?

It seems like the logical thing to do - perhaps the driver keeps the doors locked until he 'accepts' the passenger!

• Like 1

DLT should get number of blue taxi in video and fine him heavily for each time he refused customer see if that doesn't sort out the taxis.  Oh hang on it's early morning what am I thinking

• Like 1

this is not news, in all the time i've been here getting a taxi during heavy rain has never been easy; demand and supply

i take taxis a lot and taking taxi's has never been an issue for me, i think many of the problems people experience are due to the way they behave and/or dress. some easy, and common sense, ways to stop taxi hassles;

- never engage with a taxi driver that is hanging around waiting for passengers, especially at a hotel or in a tourist area, and never engage with a taxi driver that approaches you on the street. in short always hail a passing taxi

- be clear and confident in your destination; if you're a tourist do some research and find out how to pronounce the place you want to go to and/or get a thai (at your hotel) to write the destination down

- if a driver wont use the meter close the door and walk away, if you are in the taxi get out at the first opportunity; remain calm and confident.

- dont look and behave like a tourist.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1