HIV positive Thai prostitute had sex with “dozens of men”

webfact

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

4. Whilst unpleasant. Nobody often dies from HIV related illnesses these days if they are on drugs and will live a full life.

Just about a million in 2016

http://www.who.int/gho/hiv/en/

They are not on drugs I would imagine, or even know if they have it until too late. Occurances of HIV related death when in on a full regalia of drugs is very rare unless your strain of HIV becomes immune to your drugs, but then most people on drugs with HIV are more health concious than those not

4 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

No, the first point should be directed at you.  Sanemax has nothing to do with this other than a correct observation he made that was the basis of your incorrect conclusion.  Let me walk you through it:

You originally stated "no one forced the men to have unprotected sex with a prostitute". 

Sanemax then properly stated "It doesn't state that anyone has unprotected sex with her". 

You then drew the incorrect conclusion (on the two counts I made) that "no one should worry about contracting HIV".

I disagree as to who your point should be directed to.

Think as you like.

However this is now going off topic...

Edited by Bluespunk
Changed thread to topic

I think it is rarer to get from male hetero/vag. then the stats dictate.

Majority of people lie about their sexual history due to embarrassment or judgment.

Lots of bi, gay, and LB lovers out there would never admit it.

More acceptable for them to say some lie like: I must havve gotten it from a girl while having sex and the condom fell off....

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

it takes at least two weeks after infection for the results to show a positive

Only if the more expensive antigen test is used. The common test is the antibody test, this would show around 95% accuracy at four weeks, and give a conclusive result at around three months. 

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

They are not on drugs I would imagine, or even know if they have it until too late. Occurances of HIV related death when in on a full regalia of drugs is very rare unless your strain of HIV becomes immune to your drugs, but then most people on drugs with HIV are more health concious than those not

Does it mean that the whole HIV issue went down to the level of catching a cold? If it is so, this news has no value of information.

51 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I disagree as to who your point should be directed to.

Think as you like.

However this is now going off topic...

thank you, i will.  what is the basis of your disagreement?  This is quite on topic, as giving the impression that one need not worry about contracting HIV if they have protected sex is a dangerous and careless idea. 

1 minute ago, OldSiamHand said:

thank you, i will.  what is the basis of your disagreement?  This is quite on topic, as giving the impression that one need not worry about contracting HIV if they have protected sex is a dangerous and careless idea. 

That wasn’t what you were doing. However, as I said in post #18

“It’s fairly difficult to catch HIV from heterosexual vaginal sex (if you are a healthy man down below) in the first place. With a condon, if used correctly and consistently, the chances fall even lower. 

Use a rubber correctly then you are pretty much safe.”

http://www.catie.ca/en/fact-sheets/prevention/condoms

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That wasn’t what you were doing. However, as I said in post #18

“It’s fairly difficult to catch HIV from heterosexual vaginal sex (if you are a healthy man down below) in the first place. With a condon, if used correctly and consistently, the chances fall even lower. 

Use a rubber correctly then you are pretty much safe.”

http://www.catie.ca/en/fact-sheets/prevention/condoms

Thank you, it is good that you backtracked somewhat from your original point "no one should worry about contracting HIV" if they have protected sex. 

You still have a little way to go though.  "Pretty much" safe is different from safe, and I would surely get myself checked for HIV if I found out a partner had HIV even if I wore a full suit of armor during sex.

6 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

• Men can also get HIV from having vaginal sex with a woman who’s HIV-positive because vaginal fluid and blood can carry HIV. Men can get HIV through the opening at the tip of the penis (or urethra); the foreskin if they’re not circumcised; or small cuts, scratches, or open sores anywhere on the penis. Using condoms or medicines to protect against transmission can decrease this risk."

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/vaginalsex.html

Now that's responsible posting.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you, it is good that you backtracked somewhat from your original point "no one should worry about contracting HIV" if they have protected sex. 

You still have a little way to go though.  "Pretty much" safe is different from safe, and I would surely get myself checked for HIV if I found out a partner had HIV even if I wore a full suit of armor during sex.

I don’t see where there is any backtracking, but whatever. 

Use a condom correctly and consistently, and you can rest easy. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t see where there is any backtracking, but whatever. 

Use a condom and you can rest easy. 

One reduces the risk, but one can't "rest easy".  Please see responsible quote above that someone provided from the CDC.

One reduces the risk, but one can't "rest easy".  Please see responsible quote above that someone provided from the CDC.

I did.

The whole thing. 

When it was first posted

Now, please read the link I posted. 

Edited by Bluespunk

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I did.

The whole thing. 

When it was first posted

Now, please read the link I posted. 

I'm not sure what link you are referring to, but it is irrelevant in any event, given your postings (contrary of the CDC link) that one can "rest easy" if they have protected sex with someone who is HIV positive.

I'm not sure what link you are referring to, but it is irrelevant in any event, given your postings (contrary of the CDC link) that one can "rest easy" if they have protected sex with someone who is HIV positive.

The link in post #18 and post #160...

1 minute ago, OldSiamHand said:

wonderful, but as I said the link is irrelevant given claims that one can "rest easy" if they have protected sex with someone who is HIV positive.

Fine. Don’t read it. 

However, I have and I’ll maintain my point of view. 

21 hours ago, HLover said:

May want to seek medical attention and get antiviral shots, but meh.... urinating and soap may be fine as it's just a "small risk".

Your treatment advice is amazing.  

Which antiviral shots are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Fine. Don’t read it. 

However, I have and I’ll maintain my point of view. 

I've read it and nowhere does it say one can "rest easy" if they use a condom.  It was irresponsible to suggest that this is the conclusion from your link.  Here's just one example from your link that confirms one cannot simply "rest easy".

Condoms can fail to prevent an exposure to HIV if they break, slip or leak during sex. These types of mechanical condom failure are relatively rare, with studies estimating that external condoms fail between 0.4% and 6.5% of the time,

Just now, OldSiamHand said:

I've read it and nowhere does it say one can "rest easy" if they use a condom.  It was irresponsible to suggest that this is the conclusion from your link.  Here's just one example from your link that confirms one cannot simply "rest easy".

Condoms can fail to prevent an exposure to HIV if they break, slip or leak during sex. These types of mechanical condom failure are relatively rare, with studies estimating that external condoms fail between 0.4% and 6.5% of the time,

Which is why I said used correctly and consistently. 

The risk of contracting HIV with correct usage is such that I rest easy. 

• Like 1

Have a gander at this: it reports 516 male tourists became infected in Thailand 2002-2010, of which 64% was reportedly through heterosexual contact......hmmmm!

I haven't had chance to delve in to the figures but at first sight that seems a very low infection rate considering the number of people that visit Thailand and the amount of sexual contact.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1468-1293.2011.00983.x

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Which is why I said used correctly and consistently. 

The risk of contracting HIV with correct usage is such that I rest easy. 

take whatever risks you want, but for the others "correctly and consistently" does not guarantee no breakage, slippage or leakage.  Please get tested if you have protected sex with someone who turns out to have HIV.

Edited by OldSiamHand
  • Like 1

"Fast Facts

• Both male and female partners can get HIV from vaginal sex.
  • Condoms, pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), and antiretroviral therapy (ART) can reduce your risk of getting or transmitting HIV through vaginal sex. Even more protection is provided when more than one option is used.
  • Vaginal sex may also expose individuals to other sexually transmitted diseases."

"Risk of HIV

Some sexual activities are riskier than others for getting or transmitting HIV. For an HIV-negative person, the riskiest activity for getting HIV is being the receptive partner (“bottom”) in anal sex. Being the insertive partner (“top”) in anal sex or having vaginal sex (insertive or receptive) is less risky, though either partner can get HIV through those activities as well. Activities like oral sex, touching, and kissing carry little to no risk for getting or transmitting HIV.

• A woman can get HIV during vaginal sex because the lining of the vagina and cervix may allow HIV to enter her body if her male partner’s body fluids carry HIV, including blood, semen (cum), and pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum). Using condoms or medicines to protect against transmission can decrease this risk.
  • Men can also get HIV from having vaginal sex with a woman who’s HIV-positive because vaginal fluid and blood can carry HIV. Men can get HIV through the opening at the tip of the penis (or urethra); the foreskin if they’re not circumcised; or small cuts, scratches, or open sores anywhere on the penis. Using condoms or medicines to protect against transmission can decrease this risk."

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/vaginalsex.html

Its not of much use without % risks and probabilities, i would post them but Tapatalk won't let me post the images. Some setting needs adjusting my the mods

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Have a gander at this: it reports 516 male tourists became infected in Thailand 2002-2010, of which 64% was reportedly through heterosexual contact......hmmmm!

I haven't had chance to delve in to the figures but at first sight that seems a very low infection rate considering the number of people that visit Thailand and the amount of sexual contact.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1468-1293.2011.00983.x

Interesting read.  Needs some further research.  Honestly I'm surprised at these numbers.

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Interesting read.  Needs some further research.  Honestly I'm surprised at these numbers.

Initially, I am very surprised about the ratio of heterosexual men- I wonder what 'fib factor' is built in to the model.  

But I guess they behave very differently than when at home, and hetero doesn't mean non-anal.  Some get up to things that would make even the devil 'imself blush!!

Edited by mommysboy

8 minutes ago, joeyg said:

From the discoverer of HIV.  Thoughts? 

It’s not something I’ve heard before. 

Interesting for sure, is there any medical/scientific reasearch to back up his views?

Genuine question. 

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Me too.  In fact it's hard to believe in the accuracy of any of these numbers given that it can take a fair amount of time to detect the virus (three months?).  How would someone know they contracted it in Thailand unless they only had sex here and then had no sex for the next three months before getting tested?  Or what about someone who is sexually active and had sex in Thailand and their home country.  How can they be sure they contracted it in Thailand?