Speed limits in and outside urban area under change to curb traffic fatalities and facilitate driving

webfact

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Not nesessarily. Slow vehicles in the middle or outside lanes are much more dangerous than driving at 90kph in the clear inside lane.

It's the American way? Drive in whatever goddamn lane you want, you've paid your taxes. Not the more considerate German way.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mexlark said:

April Fool?

I've never seen anyone enforce a speed limit here. They don't have the will or the technology.

They don't have ?
Drive Chum Pae to Khon Kaen (for example) and you will know that you missed something...
115km/H instead of 90km/H = 500THB

It isn’t speed that kills it’s the difference in speed of the different vehicles on any particular road that kills. If all of the vehicles on any road are going about the same speed it will be a safe road. Given that, I have never seen roads where vehicles were going such different speeds, like in Thailand. The speed differences on Thailand roads is incredible, which explains alll of the road deaths. Also, with, like, 70% plus of the road deaths being motorcyclists, maybe Thailand’s roads aren’t so dangerous after all, as long as you are not on a motorbike.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

We don't need any new rules, we need REAL police.....and REAL driverslicenses...and REAL fines/punishment...but the Thai won't understand that like the rest of the world does.

Agreed, a 200 baht fine is not going to make anyone think twice.    

Not so long ago, in the UK, a similar idea was being mooted by senior police officers. Particularly on motorways, the thinking is that too slow a limit causes bunching of traffic. Political hesitancy and public opinion probably won't allow it to happen. 

It's well known, however, that in good driving conditions traffic police on UK motorways do not stop drivers travelling at around 80-85 mph anyway. However, driving badly in poor conditions, say tailgating in pouring rain, and they will pull you over.

The problem is here the police don't seem to do anything unless there is some advantage for themselves. You regularly see instances of bad driving and no helmets, etc, right in front of a patrolman and nothing happens. God forbid, however, if a baht bus stops in the wrong place........

19 hours ago, missoura said:

Had to go to BKK a few days ago. Some of the LEDs need tweaking...

speed limit.JPG

This looks like Highway 32 near my house , 3 radars for 4 lanes !!

Gotta keep alert when coming up to one of these because the pickup doing 150 km/h in the right hand lane is gonna swerve over to the left hand lane to avoid the radars !! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have just driven from Sirindhorn to Jomtien with my family. I see no sense in raising the speed limit to try and curb accidents. What is needed is a driving test, both written and on the road under instructor supervision. Both for cars and for motorcycles. Lorry drivers and bus drivers need a separate test. Carnage is always round the next bend. I was lucky to avoid a major accident on 3 occasions.

Tu truly understand 90 Klms an hour it's 55 MPH led by America to save on fuel had nothing to do with safety. 110 KLMS is 65 MPH. There are certain areas where this will work and others where it won't. I got a ticket for 110 Klms an hour not complaining I earned it. This was on an area on Hwy 12 straight as a arrow. two lanes going each direction. What has happened is to much unsafe passing people trying to get their travels done. So worth a try.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Don't waste your time posting here about enforcing the law etc. It's pointless.

The only thing that will make a difference is if they go back to the buffalo or somehow manage to reduce the cultural, ingrained belligerence and lack of responsibility among the populus. 

Maybe in three to four generations when they have a proper education system and grow past a mental age of 14 but most likely never. 

Yes

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

Is this a devilish plan to cement their #1 ranking? 

No no no.... nothing quite as sinister.

this raising of the speed limit, is in conjunction with the new awards for maximum carnage (as seen on web cams.).... and is all about entertainment for the masses and viewer ratings.

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Slower traffic keep left.

Higher speeds on expressways, and lower speed in higher density areas.

Honestly though, more air con transportation or even open air to curb individual car use would be great.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Educating people to not hog the outside lane when there is no or little traffic in the middle and inside lanes would be a start, then you might not get so many crazy people weaving in and out to under and over take!

This will make for some good dash cam footage, most people are already travelling at 20 above posted limits.

did the roads suddenly improve to warrant the increase? Some country areas you are already almost doing bunny hops and getting air if having to move into the left lane. 

Genious.

Raise the limit to make the speeders legal!  Cracking idea!  The BiB won't need to leave their comfy chairs then, being as all the morons will be driving within the speed limit!

Promote the guy who came-up with that idea!  ****** brainless idiot!

19 hours ago, Mexlark said:

April Fool?

I've never seen anyone enforce a speed limit here. They don't have the will or the technology.

Do please come up to Udon and Khon Kaen, specially in KK the 80km speed limit is strictly camera enforced and there are enough speed checkpoints in the daytime to keep the intercity speed down 

Speed  kllls- and is the reason there are so many accidents in Thailand.  Motorways are fine at 120 as they are normally maintained well. The rural roads or others that go through small towns and villages are not readily maintained and have vehicles of all manner coming in every direction- these roads need to have the current limits enforced by radar or other to slow down the traffic- Raising the speed limit is madness and will cause more accidents as most Thais will now be embolden to drive faster over the new limit.

Until Thailand starts a road safety campaign that primarily focus on speeding; drink driving and motorcycles- nothing will change.

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Speed  kllls- and is the reason there are so many accidents in Thailand.  Motorways are fine at 120 as they are normally maintained well. The rural roads or others that go through small towns and villages are not readily maintained and have vehicles of all manner coming in every direction- these roads need to have the current limits enforced by radar or other to slow down the traffic- Raising the speed limit is madness and will cause more accidents as most Thais will now be embolden to drive faster over the new limit.

Did you read the bit about the limit in urban areas being reduced to 60 kph. Or wer you too busy formulating your response?