Extension of stay for bedridden retiree - agent or other option?

Hello, my father who is here on a retirement visa (extended many years with no problem) is increasingly frail and largely bedridden, and an in-person trip to Chaeng Wattana for the annual extension is not feasible. He is at home, not an inpatient in hospital.

What are our options?

Would it be possible for:

a) my mother (non-Thai, retiree too) to go in person, with a medical certificate saying my father is too unwell to attend in person, for her to complete the application on his behalf?

B) use an agent so that neither parent needs to go in person? We contacted one who quoted 18,000B plus the 1,900B extension fee,  which seems extortionate. Is this a normal fee, or should we shop around, any recommendations? We have all the necessary proof of pension etc though this year will be using a new passport.

Your suggestions gratefully received, anything to make things easier for my parents would be brilliant. 

• Like 2

a) That can be done. Your mother can do the application with a certificate from a doctor stating that he is unable to travel to do it himself. Your dad should write a short statement that she can do it for him.

What type of financial proof does your father use for the extension?

If money in the bank your father may need to do a power of attorney so that you mother can get the letter from the bank and a update of his bank book.

b. That price to do the extension probably includes the financial proof for the extension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

a) That can be done. Your mother can do the application with a certificate from a doctor stating that he is unable to travel to do it himself. Your dad should write a short statement that she can do it for him.

What type of financial proof does your father use for the extension?

If money in the bank your father may need to do a power of attorney so that you mother can get the letter from the bank and a update of his bank book.

b. That price to do the extension probably includes the financial proof for the extension.

note b. is illegal!

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, I remember this topic being discussed in past threads here. And to my surprise, IIRC, there were reports from CW clients with medical problems that they weren't being allowed to have family members or others do their extensions, even with a doctor's certificate.

I'm pretty sure I remember one report of someone having to be brought in via a stretcher, and it's not uncommon when I've been there in the past to see people being brought in in wheelchairs.

All in all, I got the impression that various other upcountry Immigration offices are more accommodating than CW when it comes to medical conditions. Which is a bit surprising.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Others on this forum have stories about applicants having to travel from their hospital bed in an ambulance because Immigration wouldn't accept doctor's letters. 

That's my recollection as well, and specifically as regards to CW.

Although Immigration did change the retirement extension application form in the past year or so to make a specific exception to the appear in person requirement in the case of medical problems.

I just haven't heard much feedback on how and if that exception is actually being implemented at CW,

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This is one of the past TVF posts re CW Immigration that I was recalling. Hopefully they've changed their attitude and are better these days...

5ac856d2b6b8a_ImmigrationwhenElderlySick1.jpg.8ef6edb7b2a0e4a5b8482c7edc7cc4f3.jpg

If the above report was correct at its time, and I have no reason to believe it wasn't since the poster was recounting first-hand experiences, it's SHAMEFUL!

This one, I'm not sure if it was regarding CW or elsewhere:

5ac857b785105_ImmigrationwhenElderlySick2.jpg.f0543ce0b792192fe22654690f53d683.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Joe, I remember this topic being discussed in past threads here. And to my surprise, IIRC, there were reports from CW clients with medical problems that they weren't being allowed to have family members or others do their extensions, even with a doctor's certificate.

I think thing have changed since those reports were done. There is certainly an allowance for those that cannot make the trip to immigration.

The new TM7 form states this now.

image.png.f086bb25303b0cbc3cc1770416777de4.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bkkdi said:

Thanks all for your responses. The TM 7 form does indeed say on the back that application must be in person except in case of person with disabilities or handicapped, so my mother will try going herself, with a doctor's certificate.  We'll keep you informed of how it goes, some of the stories above are quite disturbing! 

Please do... It would be great to know and hear if CW has actually changed their formerly bad ways, now that the actual Extension application form specifically includes exception language for medical/disability situations.

The strange thing about this is -- generally, CW-BKK is usually among the straightest, follow the official rules Immigration offices compared to elsewhere, where other offices sometimes tack on stupid, extraneous local rules. But for some reason, BKK used to be hard core when it came to medical/disability issues, at the same time when a normally worse office like Chiang Mai was fairly accommodating for medical/disability cases.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 1:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think thing have changed since those reports were done. There is certainly an allowance for those that cannot make the trip to immigration.

The new TM7 form states this now.

image.png.f086bb25303b0cbc3cc1770416777de4.png

Thank you for that clarification.

I can't imagine  immigration is so strict as to require a person be brought in to the building  on a stretcher.

I have to say how awful it must be to find oneself in such a situation.

A golden rule for me whenever I have or do travel is that unless it was somebody I would trust with my life ( ie lifelong friend or close blood relative ) I would never risk entrusting my passport with anyone.

I realise 'needs is needs must' etc but I would exercise extreme caution before considering the agent option.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, Ban Phe Dezza said:

I am 80 this year and in dodgy health I can still make the Trips to I/O but do worry about later on. when unable to get to the Immigration Office.

Thus I will follow this post with interest. PS I am not married but have a Thai Carer

It really nothing to worry about. Thai immigration seem very nice to elderly people. provided you have the funds your caregiver can do it for you

23 minutes ago, bkkdi said:

The counter official at first said it wasn’t possible, but my mum pointed out the clause about ‘disabled persons’ and asked to see the supervisor.

Very glad you were able to work this out for your parents.

As for the above, typical of Thailand and Thai Immigration. Disconnect between what the rules supposedly are vs the way they tell you they are.

Just to clarify, in terms of the actual handling of your application, was it handled by one of the regular extension officers at the row of desks on the side aisle behind the front counter, or only by a supervisor at the front counter where they hand out the queue tickets?

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to clarify, in terms of the actual handling of your application, was it handled by one of the regular extension officers at the row of desks on the side aisle behind the front counter, or only by a supervisor at the front counter where they hand out the queue tickets?

The application was still handled at the normal desk with a queue number, the supervisor signed it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

If you look on the Door of Jomtien immigration it says if you're Disabled you can now wait outside the door.. The incline of the ramp going inside for a wheelchair is a joke and very dangerous.. If someone pushed you up and slipped you could be seriously injured.. I have been going for years and have never been inside the office.. I just chillout outside and my GF goes inside for me.. The IO are very helpful and never had any problems there..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, Old Croc said:

The procedure as outlined by Ubonjoe should be all that is necessary in an ideal world. Try this way first.

But, be aware individual Immigration officers can get very difficult at times for no good reason.

I've been forced to turn up in my wheelchair when  quite ill despite clearly not actually needed for the processing.

Others on this forum have stories about applicants having to travel from their hospital bed in an ambulance because Immigration wouldn't accept doctor's letters. 

They do try to push people to dodgy agents because they pay (illegal) commission to Officers.

Lat time I was at CW there was an elderly gentlemen being pushed though immigration on hospital gurney complete with IV bottle. It was surreal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, sleepy99 said:

Wonder what procedures are in place now with the new regulations.

That depends on if additional "show us you still have the money" check-ins are required or not.  So far, we have no official word on how the "800K after 3 mo" and "400K year round" will be enforced.  I would assume that if someone were able to get their annual extension done by someone else (as in this case), that helper could also make any additional required visits (if any).

On 4/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, gamini said:

note b. is illegal!

No, it is not illegal. You won't go to jail. 

Using an agent who operates within the rules can be a major convenience for many, including immigration officers, as it can alleviate the workload within the immigration office. Agents serve a valuable purpose for many and simply suggesting that an agent route is illegal indicates a lack of knowledge or thought. Not only those who are unable to make the physical journey to an immigration office themselves can be convenienced by use of an agent, but also those who abide the officialdom, or are simply too lazy to perform the task themselves. To many people the cost of an agent far outweighs the inconvenience. Not all agents are crooked, just like not all farang wish to visit immigration.

21 hours ago, mokwit said:

Lat time I was at CW there was an elderly gentlemen being pushed though immigration on hospital gurney complete with IV bottle. It was surreal.

That is insane. Perhaps he was avoiding the cost of the hospital extending his stay.