Energy saver for pumping water ??

mrpakchong

Hi ,

for many years our pump has been working perfect, pumping water 250 meters to the water tanks, last year a relative insist to "install" a energy saver, see picture, I don't understand how it should save energy, maybe someone know and can explain.

Unfortunately after 2 months after "energy" saver installation the pump burned, we had it repaired, but after 2 months again (yesterday) it burned again. Also the pump sounds strange after the "energy" saver installation, it sounds like you turn an engine on and on, seems that the pump work differently (and harder) than before. So I have actually removed the "energy" saver before start fixing the pump.

Kind Regards

Joakim

ror.JPG

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

"Energy savers" have been promoted since electricity was invented and they are all nonsense. 

There are a couple of other posters here better qualified than I on the electrics as to why they are useless - so hopefully they can enlighten you.  

What the heck is it?

The magic pipe.

Do you have any idea what is inside?

Seems nothing electric.

Is this at the bottom an ordinary T-joint?

Is it an amateurish "pressure tank", which would be nonsense if you just want to fill up tanks (pump running continuously?).

250m is quite a distance.

You seem to use so called 1/2 inch pipe?

Does the pump have a 1 inch outlet?

What model/power is the pump?

If you want to do something good for the pump, invest in new bigger pipes.

I don't know what it is, someone told my wife it will save energy (money), but suddenly they was there. it's connected to the pipe system so it must have been water and/air in it, and yes it's a T-connector. Now they are removed anyway.

Magic or not, I now have 2 second hand, if somebody might be interested ;-) . So far we lost +3000 baht and more tomorrow when we need to have the pump repaired.

The pump  is a 1.5 HP SAER (made in Italy), the size of the pipes is 1¼"  and it has been working very well for a long. The distance has never been an problem until now,  I tried to explain not to fix something that is working .....

11 minutes ago, mrpakchong said:

I don't know what it is, someone told my wife it will save energy (money), but suddenly they was there. it's connected to the pipe system so it must have been water and/air in it, and yes it's a T-connector. Now they are removed anyway.

Magic or not, I now have 2 second hand, if somebody might be interested ;-) . So far we lost +3000 baht and more tomorrow when we need to have the pump repaired.

The pump  is a 1.5 HP SAER (made in Italy), the size of the pipes is 1¼"  and it has been working very well for a long. The distance has never been an problem until now,  I tried to explain not to fix something that is working .....

Very efficient, you can pump a lot of water for B3000. 

1 hour ago, mrpakchong said:

The pump  is a 1.5 HP SAER (made in Italy), the size of the pipes is 1¼"

Ok. I could not see it from the picture as there is no easy scale to compare.

So forget the bigger pipes.

The less turns/joints etc. the better.

I much suspect that this "energy saver" narrows the diameter, hinders the flow which would stress the pump.

1 hour ago, mrpakchong said:

I tried to explain not to fix something that is working .....

Well said :biggrin:

On 07/04/2018 at 5:46 PM, mrpakchong said:

For many years I was an engineer and one rule that has always stuck is this one.

"If it works, then leave it alone".

Another one was "if you break it, then you fix it".

Grundfos water pump are very good but a bit expensive.

46 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Yes, only the "swing type" check valves are always slighty leaking.

This type will do better, bust must be mounted vertical, or there should be always some pressureon the outfeed side.

spring-loaded-brass-check-valve.jpg

Can be mounted in any orientation you want, up, down, sideways or arse over head to suit yourself as they are spring assisted. 

Archived